Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [GURPS] Britannica-6 food storage question.

well, to be quite honest, the theme of britannica seems to be "if its awesome, ramp up the tech, otherwise, its terrible!"

so I'd say no common refrigeration, though a couple models may exist for the personal benefit of their inventors.
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #12
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
well, to be quite honest, the theme of britannica seems to be "if its awesome, ramp up the tech, otherwise, its terrible!"

so I'd say no common refrigeration, though a couple models may exist for the personal benefit of their inventors.
B6 has some sort of refrigeration or more specifically, ice-making tech.

They have an Ice Dreadnaught. I take this to be something like the "Habbakuk" made of "Pykrete" proposed during WWII.

However, this would be giant industrial facility but not necessarily consumer-scale stuff. The hull of the Habbakuk was proposed to be made of iice/Pykrete composite 40' thick.

ericthered has the right idea as a general thing. B6 isn't really a _general_ technologically divergent alternate. It may not have _any_ ^. Whati it has is big, flashy tech arriving 20 to 40 years early in a thoroughly irregular fashion. It may have even post WWI dirigibles but it doesn't have the paved road system of the 1920s UK.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #13
fredtheobviouspseudonym

IIRC my Conway's "History of the Ship" the first refrigerated freighters carrying frozen meat from Australia to England were c. 1880.

Okay -- according to Wikipedia (I know, always suspect) the first "reefer" ship was 1882. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunedin_%28ship%29
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:48 AM   #14
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
They have an Ice Dreadnaught. I take this to be something like the "Habbakuk" made of "Pykrete" proposed during WWII.
No, it isn't. That would be sensible.

His Majesty's Ice Ship Earthshaker is a ship-sized vehicle, mounted on a gigantic ski-track system that lets her travel over the ice and snow of northern Canada. She will also float, in calm waters, but it's not what she's really meant for. With four 15" guns and lots of smaller armament, she has impressive firepower, but there's nobody appropriate for her to fight. Just as well, really.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:58 AM   #15
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
No, it isn't. That would be sensible.

His Majesty's Ice Ship Earthshaker is a ship-sized vehicle, mounted on a gigantic ski-track system that lets her travel over the ice and snow of northern Canada. She will also float, in calm waters, but it's not what she's really meant for. With four 15" guns and lots of smaller armament, she has impressive firepower, but there's nobody appropriate for her to fight. Just as well, really.
Right, I remember that now. I've missplaced my actual copy of the pdf and was going off the bit in IW.

Tags
britannica-6, infinite worlds