Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 07-24-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
Moldon

Default Take Me! Take Me! (M3)

Can I play Take Me! Take Me! if there is a helper in the fight already?

I know that the card can be played only if the player is eligible to ask for help, but question arose because of the phrase about previous volunteer.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Take Me! Take Me! (M3)

We had a huge debate over which part of the card text should be ignored here, with the card currently up for internal discussion.

Until that discussion is completed, we can go with MM's ruling on intent that it first forces out any existing helper (and they are the volunteer referred to afterwards) before you apply the "eligible to ask for help" clause.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Copying what I just wrote in that other thread, because I'm lazy.

First, so there's no confusion, here is the card text:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Me! Take Me!
When a player is eligible to ask for help in combat, play this card to force him to accept _you_ as the helper. You cannot demand a reward. Usable once only.
Note that if a previous volunteer had already played one-shot cards, he gets them back!
By the strict language of the card, this CAN be played to force someone to accept you as a helper even if he had not intended to ask for help, as long as he is eligible to ask for help. But this contradicts the second paragraph where it talks about a "previous volunteer," implying that you can boot someone else out of a combat and take their place.

So here's the ruling:

1) You can play this at any time when another player is eligible to ask for help OR already has a helper in the combat. You are now helping in the fight, booting out a previous helper if there was one. You cannot ask for any rewards.
2) If there was a previous helper, that helper gets back all one-shot cards he played.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
mib1325

A further question on this card. Can this force someone to accept as a helper someone who will win the game through this combat? eg. a lvl 9 elf. Most cards that would cause someone to win do state it can allow the win or can not be used to cause someone to win eg. kneepads of allure. Seems a super munchkinly way to win!
mib1325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
cbetker

I'd say yes. 'Take Me! Take Me!' doesn't give you the level, it just forces the combatant to take you as a helper. The other Munchkins still have time to make the Munchkin side lose the fight...
cbetker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Bogie1494

If you were and elf and played it while level 9, then yes it would let you win assuming you guys defeat the monster. Elves can use the assist in combat and gain a level ability to win.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
mib1325

To clarify my question. Kneepads of Allure was a bad example. There are cards that can force someone to help in a combat, or be accepted into help in a combat. Normally, these cards state "Unless this is the winning level" on them, as you really cant force someone to help you win, or let you win the game. In the effect of being an elf, and you gain levels for helping in a combat, this would effectivly cause you to be able to force someone to let you win the game. This is the clarification I am looking for, not that the elf class does indeed gain levels when they are the helper.
mib1325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #8
Clipper

The text to clarify that you can't win with the card isn't there, so you can win with it as it does involve killing a monster, just like Bogie1494 said.

Note that the combat owner and all the other Munchkins will now be trying their hardest to make you lose and all they have to do is bring the monster above your combined combat level temporarily. As soon as that is the case, the combat owner can declare loss and you'll be forced to run away with him. It's thus not a forced win.

Tags
asking for help, helper, take me!