Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-26-2011, 02:57 AM   #1
Karse88

Default Nominating a helper

this is probably more about Gentleman rules... but if you have to nominate a player to help you, and you nominate before checking his items... how long should you be able to change your choice... - i think its ridiculous because its "just a game" (of course its not JUST a game.. ITS MUNCHKIN!!!), but we got in a kinda big argument about it... what do you guys think?
Karse88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Nominating a helper

Well, the first issue is that you don't nominate a helper, you ask for help. Then, you negotiate with people willing to help and then, when you come to agreement with one, you have a helper. Once you have a helper, then you're stuck. But, until you actually you and the helper come to an agreement, you can still negotiate with other players.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
Karse88

Yes of course, but I'm talking of the card were you can nominate a player who HAS to help you for free... I won the game by nominating my friend but after a second I changed it to "who ever has the highest power???" Why shouldn't I?... he gets mad because he ha a diagram that can discard a monster he is fighting and prehend me from winning? ... can he even use that item?:s
Old 03-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karse88 View Post
Yes of course, but I'm talking of the card were you can nominate a player who HAS to help you for free... I won the game by nominating my friend but after a second I changed it to "who ever has the highest power???" Why shouldn't I?... he gets mad because he ha a diagram that can discard a monster he is fighting and prehend me from winning? ... can he even use that item?:s
Hmmm. I didn't understand that you were talking about such a card, only that you were talking about picking a helper and then changing who was helping you. Maybe you could tell us what specific cards you are talking about.
MiB #1029
Old 03-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
Karse88

I played the thesaurus from 'bites!' In my look for trouble face.
I played 'we're all friends here'... he was mad because he wanted to use 'necronookiecon'?
Old 03-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
Karse88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Hmmm. I didn't understand that you were talking about such a card, only that you were talking about picking a helper and then changing who was helping you. Maybe you could tell us what specific cards you are talking about.
You know these cards??
Old 03-27-2011, 05:54 AM   #7
MunchkinMan

Quote:
You know these cards??
I know them well. However, I was spending the afternoon and evening with my family since a rare opportunity presented itself to work on a puzzle, play some Munchkin Bites! and watch a very gripping basketball game. I'm sorry I didn't get back to this sooner. However, it's also not polite to bump a thread and we ask that you not do it, since both Andrew and myself sometimes run into busy days and can't get back to the forums to answer a question until the next day or so.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 03-27-2011 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:12 AM   #8
MunchkinMan

Quote:
I played the thesaurus from 'bites!' In my look for trouble face.
I played 'we're all friends here'... he was mad because he wanted to use 'necronookiecon'?
He couldn't play Necronookiecon regardless of the situation. It wasn't his turn and Necronookiecon is not a one-shot Item.

However, had he had a card he could legally play in order to stop the two of you from winning the combat, or at least killing the Thesaurus and giving you the win, he could have. He could have played Monster Enhancers to make it so the two of you couldn't kill the Thesaurus. If he had the Potion of Ennui, he could have made the Thesaurus leave. Being a helper, whether it is by being compelled or by choice does not mean that you must try to win the combat.

Also, once you have a helper, you can't pick a different one, regardless of the conditions that got you the helper. The helper is also not allowed to leave on a whim, also regardless of the conditions that made him a helper, so you're stuck with each other, whether you like it or not. Unless, one of you has a card which boots the helper. Of course, if you used We're All Friends Here and then booted him using some card, you can't nominate someone else since you've used up We're All Friends Here.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 03-27-2011 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
Karse88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
I know them well. However, I was spending the afternoon and evening with my family since a rare opportunity presented itself to work on a puzzle, play some Munchkin Bites! and watch a very gripping basketball game. I'm sorry I didn't get back to this sooner. However, it's also not polite to bump a thread and we ask that you not do it, since both Andrew and myself sometimes run into busy days and can't get back to the forums to answer a question until the next day or so.
of course, I'm Sorry... I'm new to this and you appeared online for so long that I didn't know if you'd seen my reply ... of course you guys are busy outside of this website, I really needed the answer to determine if we should play again, and I therefore became a bit desperate... my apologies... but thanks for the help! ... if I may, I know your stuck with your nominated helper, but I changed my opinion within seconds, because I of course wanted the most help... is munchkin 'first said counts' or gentleman rules were you can change your mind if it doesn't delay the game? I'm asking of course of your opinion .. thank you so much! I'll be patient this time!:)
Old 03-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #10
MunchkinMan

My official opinion remains that once you make an agreement, or make it clear which player you are going to force to help you, that you're stuck with the decision. Officially, it pays to pay attention to what's going on, and to take your time making critical decisions. It's acceptable to ask people what their combat strength is going to be in a given combat before you make a decision like this, so don't make one on the spot and then regret it after the fact (something I've seen too many times, usually to my amusement).

If your group wants to play it a little looser, that's up to you guys. I try to leave it only to official rules and opinions when I'm here, but, in the end, I can't tell you how to actually play in your own home.
MiB #1029

Tags
helper, thesaurus