Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 01-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
Acolyte

Default In Nomine: Cyprus

I'm planning a game of IN set on the island of Cyprus, centering around Stone/Factions conflict (and the "hard" Stone and "teaching" Stone conflict), with some Ethereal gods, Eli, and post-Revelations Cycle Faith subthemes.

Cyprus was very important to Mediterranean trade (getting, perhaps, and giving, perhaps, its name from/to Copper, the metal), switched hands a lot during the Middle Ages, ended up a British colony, and is now split between a generally Greek recognized government and an unrecognized Turkish government with de facto control over the northern chunk of the island, following an invasion by Turks a few decades ago. While no longer important on the world stage, several older Superiors have strong investments there (and very old Servitors active there), and so it is disproportionately a hot zone in the War.

Here's my rough guess at the island's setup, Tetherwise:

Angelic
--Pygmalion's Quarry (Stone, with a Creation Seneschal, possibly originally twinned to Olympus, possibly still so; now it is a gathering place for very old Angels of Stone who care for humanity and miss the Cherubic David they once knew)
--Hala Sultan Tekke, the Mosque of Umm Haram (Faith, a meeting point for Christians and Muslims, and in a parallel way, between Servitors of Khalid and those of the Christian Superiors [especially Laurence]. Also, as an Islamic holy site dedicated to a woman, it is a key location for Servitors of Khalid that self-identify as female)
--Harbor of Lanarca, center of Mediterranean copper trade (ex-Trade, destroyed during the Turkish Invasion of Cyprus)
--(Trade making a comeback via tourism/oil, no Tether yet)

Demonic
--The Green Line/buffer zone dividing Greek- and Turkish-controlled regions (Factions, weakening with improving relations between the Cypriots but still the most powerful Tether on the island)
--Adonis' murdering place (Fate: Adonis' physical beauty, a gift from God, engendered only in-fighting between the Greek gods, and his perversion of it led him to Hell at his death)

Ethereal
--the spot where Aphrodite first came to land, or some other location specific to her--a grotto, perhaps (to Olympus, fallen into the hands of Lust Servitors who abuse its Tether-nature and coordinate Cypus's large sex-slave trade from there)

Does anyone have any other strong feelings about what should/should not be incorporated on the island? If the campaign progresses enough, I'll probably post a write-up somewhere online with NPCs and other info (i.e., a complete write-up of an IN location), and I'm open to considering other Tethers/major players on the island. I don't want it to be too crowded, though. In addition to the main thrust of the campaign--the community-building angels of Stone and the dissent-sowing demons of Factions--I think a few sessions could be spiced up with Olympian god interactions (as unhappy allies of demons or foes/neutral players to angels), lingering relics from ancient times (possibly involving Hypatia from Liber Reliquarium), and the angels of Faith recently re-accepted into the fold and their struggle to find a place in the Divine Plan (or, more cynically, Laurence's Semidivine plans).

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

(first post! from a long-time IN lover)

Last edited by Acolyte; 04-20-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Acolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
robkelk
Untitled

Default Re: In Nomine: Cypress

I don't have anything to add - you know the island far better than I do. I just wanted to say "welcome to the forum"...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
Acolyte

Anyone got any thoughts on this after letting the idea percolate for awhile? The campaign's going to start soon, so I'm going to have to finalize things (or have any new presences be secret) soon.

I thought about including some remnant of the Oannes/Vephar conflict on the island, which makes sense given its long history of human habitation and its status as, well, an island. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #4
Voort

I'd say Baal needs at least some presence, left over from the Crusades and the Ottoman Empire's invasion. Perhaps he had a tether from the sack of Nicosia that Stone later destroyed, but a few demons of War are still hanging around?
Voort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
Moe Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acolyte
Anyone got any thoughts on this after letting the idea percolate for awhile? The campaign's going to start soon, so I'm going to have to finalize things (or have any new presences be secret) soon.
OK, after I stopped coming up with stuff that would involve the island of Crete, it occurs to me that having a NATO naval exercise offshore would give a pretty good backdrop to at least some of your campaign, plus some opportunities for sub-plots, local-vs-outsider color, and at least one firefight on an abandoned vessel being used for naval target practice. :)

Moe Lane.com
Moe Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #6
Acolyte

I'm thinking now that the death spot of Adonis might be better suited for a Tether to Dark Humor, especially with a day spa on top of it.

And I like the idea as with a long history of celestial warfare; in fact, the concept of ex-Tethers is kinda cool. They would be weird places for celestials, places ringing with the strength of their old Words, and with the big Disturbances associated with a Tether battle.

So perhaps placing ruined Tethers around would be awesome--a Vapulan mine, a fort of Baal, a battlefield of Michael, and so on--for giving the place the feel of an old, old war.