Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 06-25-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
forthekill

Default Re: Far Trader Trade Route Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Which would be idiotic for configuration files designed for the program, but it's designed to parse files in a couple different formats available from other sources.
I figured out that I needed those numbers to mark the column locations. The directions were a bit hard to figure out at first, but I managed to decipher them after checking out the wiki data files.

I noticed it is still not generating the sectorname_worlds.html file, and that I am not getting an allmap.gif.

Regardless, the program looks great and I think I can use it to meet my needs.

I would love to understand what the format(s) of the ROUTES and TRADE files are.
forthekill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:04 AM   #12
tjoneslo

Quote:
I noticed it is still not generating the sectorname_worlds.html file, and that I am not getting an allmap.gif.
This may be another permissions problem. These files are written into the root directory where you run nroute.

Quote:
I would love to understand what the format(s) of the ROUTES and TRADE files are.
These are colon separated files, each field is separated by a ':'.

The ROUTES file has the following fields:
Sector Name
Trade Number calculation
Jump Distance
World A
World B

The "World A" and "World B" fields contain the text from the source .sec file including the name, position, UWP, up to the end of the allegiance code. Each Route is written into the file twice, once as "World A:World B", then as "World B:World A".

The TRADE file has the following fields:
Sector Name
World A
World B
jump distance
Trade volume

For some of the entries, world B is "(null)" and distance is 0. For these entries the trade volume (last field) is the total trade volume through that world. For the remaining entries the trade volume is trade between the two worlds. As above, these entries are listed twice once as "World A:World B", then as "World B:World A". If a world doesn't have significant trade with any neighbors, it may not be listed at all.
tjoneslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #13
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjoneslo View Post
This may be another permissions problem. These files are written into the root directory where you run nroute.
Does nroute actually generate a .gif now? It always used to generate a .ppm file (which is an uncompressed bitmap format) which I had to convert with graphics software.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #14
Toltrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjoneslo View Post
There is a piece of code on the Traveller Wiki http://traveller.wikia.com/wiki/Nroute.c which will do what you want. It's not very user friendly. The wiki has maps for most of the sectors in the traveller universe. If you do try and use this and run into problems, ping me and I'll do my best to help.
I failed my Computer/0 skill roll in Real Life - so it's all Greek to me...
Toltrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:13 PM   #15
forthekill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Does nroute actually generate a .gif now? It always used to generate a .ppm file (which is an uncompressed bitmap format) which I had to convert with graphics software.
Not that I can see in the code, but one of the HTML pages references one. Am I supposed to manually convert the ppm to a gif?

p.s. tjoneslo - Thanks for the info!
forthekill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:19 PM   #16
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthekill View Post
Not that I can see in the code, but one of the HTML pages references one. Am I supposed to manually convert the ppm to a gif?
Sadly, yes. Horrible hack jobs for the win.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
far trader, mapping, software, trade routes