Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-19-2021, 09:29 PM   #1
Boge

Default Tips on quick referencing rules?

My group often finds ourselves NOT QUITE sure on some rules. We bump into them often and the combinations with other rulings makes things a bit hazy. I try to take notes and study up on certain things, but they still slip me when the moment matters.

So, I'm asking for any tips you might have to make quick referencing specific rules. I have digital access to the books, but doing a PDF search still doesn't quite serve quickly enough sometimes.

I'm probably pushing it and in those moments are ones that likely should just be GM judgement, but we like to get things right.

Anyway, suggestions and tips on how you quickly reference rulings for specific moments?
Boge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:41 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Tips on quick referencing rules?

I use the index,it gives you ideas on what the write word might be.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:00 PM   #3
DangerousThing

W23 has a GM's screen available, which has most of the important tables on it. However, it might be best to make one of your own and put it into plastic pockets with the tables you need the most.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:25 AM   #4
Ezra

I find memorizing certain things can help, such as range penalties for firearms, or human/humanoid hit locations. Those things are also on the GM screen they sell in the store, but I needed to practice using that screen quite a bit before things got smooth. Study the injury and recovery chapter closely--there's a lot there to get a grasp on.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:24 AM   #5
Stormcrow

If a quick lookup in the rulebook or any quick-reference sheets you may have doesn't immediately produce an answer, just make up an answer with the comment that you're making up the answer this time, but that you'll know the right answer next time. Then be sure to find the answer before the next game.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:34 AM   #6
khorboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
If a quick lookup in the rulebook or any quick-reference sheets you may have doesn't immediately produce an answer, just make up an answer with the comment that you're making up the answer this time, but that you'll know the right answer next time. Then be sure to find the answer before the next game.
Very much this. If it's a critical thing, I give myself about a minute to get a good lead on finding it. If it's not important, I don't even crack a book unless I have a good idea already.

This helps keep the game flowing.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 08:57 AM   #7
Donny Brook

My group uses home-brew excel workbooks for character sheets and every skill, Advantage, Disad and equipment entry has a column for a page reference.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:56 AM   #8
Ezra

I don't have that much in Excel, but it's an indispensable tool, for sure. I use it for quickly calculating range penalties and adding up damage when my players use rapid fire.
Ezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:17 AM   #9
Mr_Sandman

If there are particular rules that you find yourself needing to look up frequently, use bookmarks (physical or digital).

I sometimes make a cheat-sheet that summarizes the rules (with references to page numbers) that I think might come up in a campaign or session. When I find myself needing to look up something that wasn't on the cheat sheet, and I think it's likely to come up again, I add it so it's there for next time.
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:47 PM   #10
kenclary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Sandman View Post
I sometimes make a cheat-sheet that summarizes the rules (with references to page numbers) that I think might come up in a campaign or session. When I find myself needing to look up something that wasn't on the cheat sheet, and I think it's likely to come up again, I add it so it's there for next time.
Might be super useful to also publish that cheatsheet to your players.
kenclary is offline   Reply With Quote