Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 02-19-2018, 05:59 PM   #1
jason taylor

Default What is the dollar equiv of a Crimp

Not a dockside kidnapper, a Credit Imperial. Someone must have brought it up in the past.

Naturally currency equivs between wildly differing times and places can only be approximations but it is nice to have.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:02 PM   #2
doulos05

Default Re: What is the dollar equiv of a Crimp

ISW: 1 Solar == 2.80 USD in 2000

I don't have the stats on the 3I handy, but I'm pretty sure it was tied to the 1985 dollar.
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:06 PM   #3
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos05 View Post
ISW: 1 Solar == 2.80 USD in 2000

I don't have the stats on the 3I handy, but I'm pretty sure it was tied to the 1985 dollar.
How do Solars relate to Crimps?

Freelance traveller says that an Alexandria handcomp is 1500 Cr. I'm pretty sure that can't be right as you can get something with about the same specs for no more then a few hundred dollars(the Alexandria surely has more memory of course but the technological advances should have cheapened that memory too). Of course that article was written awhile ago.

Last edited by jason taylor; 02-20-2018 at 10:54 AM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:32 AM   #4
Anaraxes

Hard to say, as the economies are so different, and book prices are hard to match up. But, back the day with the LBBs (call it 1980; close enough), I recall it seemed like it was roughly Cr 10 = USD $1.

Four posts in, we've already got a spread of a factor of three. So you'll have ot ask yourself why you even want an answer to the question. With error bars that large, does having a number really help you price anything compared to just picking a price in crimps?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:47 AM   #5
malloyd

As a 3000 year old piece of paper, an actual ancient Terran dollar note of any sort is probably a fairly expensive antique.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:01 AM   #6
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Four posts in, we've already got a spread of a factor of three.
Which is probably a bit tight really. Going by the price lists in the LBBs, a Cr will buy you stuff that would usually cost somewhere between a quarter and a five dollar bill will now. Might as well call it 1 or 2 for easy calculation.

Honestly a factor of 3 is probably about all the accuracy you can ever get out of an RPG price list, because it's not that weird for prices of virtually identical stuff to vary by a factor of 2 or 3 in stores across the street from each other. Or from week to week if you can catch the good sales.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:52 AM   #7
SteveS

My impression is that it was meant to be about US$1 at the time of publication, or almost $4 today.

https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc...2&year2=201801
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:05 PM   #8
doulos05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Hard to say, as the economies are so different, and book prices are hard to match up. But, back the day with the LBBs (call it 1980; close enough), I recall it seemed like it was roughly Cr 10 = USD $1.

Four posts in, we've already got a spread of a factor of three. So you'll have ot ask yourself why you even want an answer to the question. With error bars that large, does having a number really help you price anything compared to just picking a price in crimps?
We don't really have that big of a spread when you account for inflation and the fact that at least one of the numbers (mine), is from before the Rule of Man. If he's looking for 3I numbers, I don't have it. Though I've seen the 10 Cr to 1 USD figure before now that you mention it.

I believe that GURPS and CT both said 10 Cr to 1 USD, but both fixed it to the USD at the time of their respective publications. Making the CT Conversion 10 CR to 1 USD circa 1977 and the GT conversion 10 Cr to 1 USD circa the mid 1980s.
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:43 PM   #9
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Not a dockside kidnapper, a Credit Imperial. Someone must have brought it up in the past.

Naturally currency equivs between wildly differing times and places can only be approximations but it is nice to have.
CT Cr are 1977 US dollars, pretty much across the board.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:37 PM   #10
tanksoldier

Quote:
CT Cr are 1977 US dollars, pretty much across the board
...and 1977 expectations of technology. Some of the technology we have now far outpaces much of what was supposed to be hi-tech in the original game.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote