Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-27-2016, 03:13 AM   #1
Minuteman37

Default Making A Very, Very Low Point Assassin

Ok SJGames, it's TL4 I got 40 points and as many disadvantages as I want. I was also able to swing this from the GM.

Obscure level 10 Seeing & Hearing (Defensive, +50%; Extended, Hearing, +20%; Stealthy, +100%; Magic, ‑10%; Reduced Range, -10%; Unique, -25%; Gadget Limitations, SM -11, DR 4, HP 3, neg. -45%) [36].

Basically a ring of invisibility and... soundlessness?

This assassin has a few basic requirements though I'm pretty open to different builds.
  • He must start the game with a way to obtain consistent employment, I don't want to have to ask around for someone who wants someone dead.
  • He can't seem like a hired killer just by talking to him.
  • He also can't be a massive psychopath just under the surface. My GM wants a sympathetic character if he can't get a "heroic" one.

Last edited by Minuteman37; 02-27-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:41 AM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: Making A Very, Very Low Point Assassin

Does the setting have a secret "assassins guild" he can be a part of? That'd give him a Duty and possibly a Claim to Hospitality.

A Code of Honor (Gentleman's), a Vow (Take Only Contracts Against Deserving Targets), and/or Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) would let him be somewhat sympathetic if not noble in his own way. A line he absolutely will not cross. Toss in some "will help others when possible" Quirks or even a full-blown Charitable, and you've got an assassin who not only will not take a contract out on certain people but will actually help those he is not contracted to kill, maybe even going out of his way to help others.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:07 AM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
  • He can't seem like a hired killer just by talking to him.
  • He also can't be a massive psychopath just under the surface. My GM wants a sympathetic character if he can't get a "heroic" one.
Perk: Controllable Disadvantage [1]. Pick something that makes you a very unlikely killer: Charitable, Chummy or Honesty might work.

For doing the killing, on a budget and taking advantage of invisibility and silence:

DX 10 [0]
Knife DX+0 [1]
Perk: Trademark Move +1 (All-Out Attack (Determined, +4) with Telegraphic (+4) Knife thrust/vitals (-3)) [1]

That gives you a net attack roll of 16- to hit the vitals.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:59 AM   #4
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Perk: Controllable Disadvantage [1]. Pick something that makes you a very unlikely killer: Charitable, Chummy or Honesty might work.
Why not Honest Face [1]?
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:31 AM   #5
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Why not Honest Face [1]?
That would be good, too. The terms of the challenge set me looking at sillier ways to solve the problem, and it's a different way to [ab]use Controllable Disadvantage.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:33 AM   #6
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
Obscure level 10 Seeing & Hearing (Defensive, +50%
How does Defensive work with this?

[edit]Sorry, never mind. I didn't realise Obscure had it's own Defensive modifier.[/edit]
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:59 AM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The ring is a good part of what you need for an assassin. Is that part of the 40 points?

How common is magic? does he need to be able to deal with people seeing through it? because if its too common you either need a way to run like crazy or a way to be stealthy without it.

If you want a sympathetic character, give him a cause. If he has a purpose beyond killing people for money he becomes more interesting. It also gives a hook into why people use him and why they trust him not to betray them.

Decide on his method of killing. Yes, hand to hand is traditional, but this is the age of gunpowder -- blowing up your foes is just so satisfying and requires less physical know how. Poison is another option.

Skills for getting into secure places are appropriate. Yes, he can walk past most obstacles, but some of the time you just need to get past a locked door or over a wall with a tricky gate.

I may write all of this up...

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:25 AM   #8
Nereidalbel

Aside from your use of Obscure with a Gadget, are any other powers allowed? That stealth ring seems nice, aside from the Unique part making it suck to lose it.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:47 PM   #9
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Here's how I'd do a low-point assassin:

Knife(DX)[1]-10
Poisons(IQ+2)[12]-12
Stealth(DX+2)[8]-12

Ta-da! Sneak up on your mark and stab him with your poisoned dagger. You have professional-quality skill levels in both Stealth and Poisons which should be sufficient for the job and you're using Knife while at a serious advantage anyway.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:58 PM   #10
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
Here's how I'd do a low-point assassin:

Knife(DX)[1]-10
Poisons(IQ+2)[12]-12
Stealth(DX+2)[8]-12

Ta-da! Sneak up on your mark and stab him with your poisoned dagger. You have professional-quality skill levels in both Stealth and Poisons which should be sufficient for the job and you're using Knife while at a serious advantage anyway.
Don't forget to AoA when backstabbing to have effective skill 14! Throw in Telegraphic and you're rolling vs 16.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote