Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 06-23-2018, 06:28 PM   #41
InfinitePudding

Default Re: Hall of Judgment for the DFRPG: Now LIVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
This book sounds interesting. I hope it will have humanoids like trolls and kobolds instead or orcs, goblins, hobgoblins and ogres which fit better in a Tolkien world and the standard D&D Dungeon. For me I enjoy having the monsters and humanoids fit the game world.
It's supposed to be Viking themed so I assumed it'll have a lot of Norse themed monsters :)
InfinitePudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:54 PM   #42
lachimba

Can we see the full list of Monsters?
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:03 PM   #43
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Can we see the full list of Monsters?
I can give you what's there now; there will almost certainly be more added as I buff out some random encounter tables by terrain type that weren't needed in a convention scenario but are in a sandbox/wilderness crawl.

Mylja Ormur (large poisonous worm)
Vaknatre (FNORD)
Bandit (yawp. but it's a VIKING bandit)
Brown Bear (what it says on tin)
Boar (wild boar)
Mountain Cat (somewhere between a mountain lion and prehistoric cave lion)
Elk (Red Deer)
Ulfjarl (Wolf Lord; similar to dire wolf)
Krabbari (FNORD)
Norđalf (a small capricious fae)
Hob (a stóralf bred for only war)
Stóralf (a large norđalf)
Elder Stóralf (a type of magical fae)
Hrogn (a type of demon)
Thurs (a type of troll)
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:20 PM   #44
Wayne

I have to say, I'm very excited about this. I bought the D&D version The Lost Hall of Tyr just to preview what this would look like. (BTW, it looks fantastic).

I hope this sets a precedent with SJG. I've always loved GURPS but the lack of published adventure is a real hassle for lazy buggers like me.
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:08 PM   #45
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post

I hope this sets a precedent with SJG. I've always loved GURPS but the lack of published adventure is a real hassle for lazy buggers like me.
Its certainly an interesting experiment. I cant see Doug let alone SJ Games making a fortune out of it, but its prima facie that hundreds will pay up front for a physical 'quality' DFRPG adventure.

I wonder about it expanding to other authors or other companies.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:05 AM   #46
b-dog

One thing I would recommend would be to give the monsters some extra powers like AD&D gave to its demons. Not just physical powers but magical and Infernal powers because DF PCs are death machines and mere physical attacks usually are not enough. The peshkali in DF has no magical or Infernal powers compared to a Type V demon in AD&D. The fae should also have a lot of supernatural powers too IMO.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:27 AM   #47
DouglasCole

If you are already a backer, there's a survey on the Kickstarter asking about form factor. I've had a few requests for the 8x10 size that the DFRPG box set comes in.

I conducted a layout trial . . . and it's doable. So pop on over, check out the relevant update (#7), and vote.

No commits yet; the final form factor will depend on many things. But I do want to see what people want to see.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:32 AM   #48
finn

Backed the PDF version (to avoid international shipping), and looking forward to run it!

As for the format, I chose 8x10, because a smaller format PDF will be easier to handle, be it for printing or for browsing on my tablet.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:53 AM   #49
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
One thing I would recommend would be to give the monsters some extra powers like AD&D gave to its demons. Not just physical powers but magical and Infernal powers because DF PCs are death machines and mere physical attacks usually are not enough. The peshkali in DF has no magical or Infernal powers compared to a Type V demon in AD&D. The fae should also have a lot of supernatural powers too IMO.
This is definitely part of good adventure design and overall campaign design, in my experience.

When the party has access to the full suite of fantasy coolness, but they regularly face foes who are only threats in mundane ways (regardless of how exotic they are), things can become a bit monotonous, and PCs tend to converge on hyper-efficiency at dealing with those physical problems. A major consequence is also that PCs with builds that are supposed to be for dealing with other kinds of challenges become disproportionately "less useful", which is un-fun.

Of course if your entire party is nothing but Knights, Barbarians, Swashbucklers, and Scouts (and possibly a Thief) then you might be getting a strong signal that the players want a different kind of game.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:44 AM   #50
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn View Post
Backed the PDF version (to avoid international shipping), and looking forward to run it!

As for the format, I chose 8x10, because a smaller format PDF will be easier to handle, be it for printing or for browsing on my tablet.
Note that all of the print options I'm choosing have a less expensive international option.

1. DriveThruRPG: Prints in the UK for international orders, shpping usually $5-10 to most countries

2. Publishers Graphics . . . I use DriveThru for international orders in this case

3. Upgrade high-volume digital printing. By the time we finish the campaign this is a near-certainty; we're already almost there now. This prints in the UK.

4. High volume printing in the Far East. I drop a box or ten to Korea, and they use Korean mail. $10-15 to most countries.

So depending on volume and demand, right now we're looking at printing in the UK with international shipping at $5-10 per book.