Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 06-09-2017, 03:46 PM   #141
swordtart

Default Re: Combat Garage Update

To be fair ADQ&A responses can be just as flaky as they are sometimes the opinion of the editor of the week. There is no extant authority on how you should interpret the rules. Only SJG could have done so and they had their chance 30 years ago.

CW text is full of poorly considered flavour text that implies magic properties that was apparently never considered when written. I read "standard rubber" as simply accentuating the difference between the armour quality plastic that makes up the core rather than comparison with other tyre types.

What are the implications of only part of the tire being fireproof? If you can set fire to the tire because of the non-fireproof bit then there is no point in the rest of it being fireproof. My take would be either the tire is fireproof or it is not.

You can't be a little bit pregnant.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:17 PM   #142
ammulder

Well, we could certainly wish it had been clarified at the time of writing... or of being included in a large, collected set of prior rules... or of being included in the second, larger, collected set of prior rules... :)

I don't especially want to defend one position or the other. I mean, theoretically, the rubber catches fire, 4 points later the fire goes out and you lose 1 point of HC, you're only at risk of the fire spreading while you have burning rubber left, etc. I'm not claiming that's the best interpretation, though.

The larger point is that if I disable the option in the software, then I'm forcing you to read it my way, or acknowledge and agree to this 3rd party source of collected rulings. Whereas now, you can either choose to buy fireproof Plasticore tires or not, depending on how you/your group rules it (and how much cash you care to blow...). I'm OK with enforcing things when I'm convinced that's the official rules, but this particular issue seems like more of a corner case where one could want it to work either way.

This is also not to say I feel this way about all the issues Racer and others have raised -- in general they are totally valid. I think this one is more of an exception. :)
ammulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:57 AM   #143
Racer

Sorry if I caused you any more difficulties ... #oops

I'm sure I saw another official Q&A 'Other Dueling Question' page - either 2.4 or 2.5 ? - on a Steve Jackson page somewhere in the last few years . It was possibly grouped with the old & now inaccessible ADQ Archive but really not sure :-/
Old 06-10-2017, 12:29 PM   #144
Parody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
I'm sure I saw another official Q&A 'Other Dueling Question' page - either 2.4 or 2.5 ? - on a Steve Jackson page somewhere in the last few years . It was possibly grouped with the old & now inaccessible ADQ Archive but really not sure :-/
I'm pretty sure the .3 versions were the last ones that made it to the website; in those days getting the website updated was rather difficult. I believe I got the .6 versions direct from Eric and hosted them on the SPARK website because they weren't available anywhere; the .7 versions Eric posted on BGG later (to update his email address). If you need them nowadays you should get them from BGG.

The CWVD enforces Plasticores already being fireproof and nobody's ever asked me about putting in an exception. (There are a couple of rules exception preferences in there already, like the one for 33% Steelbelting.)

Last edited by Parody; 06-10-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Parody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:18 AM   #145
Racer

Thanks Parody . The trouble with having a near eidetic memory but limited internet access , is that I often recall seeing stuff 'somewhere' & then driving myself crazy trying to bloody find it again ! 8-|

Glad you've mentioned the Steelbelted Tires DP problem again : one mistake by the creator of noting +25% DP when he meant +33% DP & we're still suffering the confusion 29 years later ...
Old 06-12-2017, 02:28 PM   #146
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammulder View Post
Maybe we can get @Magesmiley to chime on on the Plasticore issue.
As far as I can see, there doesn't seem to be anything to indicate that the rubber portion of a plasticore tire is fireproof. Being referred to as standard rubber while the plastic portion is specifically called out as fireproof seems to support this. As the rules stand, I'd say that the rubber isn't fireproof. That's how I'd interpret it.

So, you could make a plasticore tire fireproof as the rules read right now.

Keep in mind too that a component being fireproof doesn't prevent it from being damaged by vehicular fires or flame weapons, just that flame weapons don't have a chance to set the vehicle on fire if they damage fireproof components.

That said, it leads to some fairly screwy situations rules-wise, such as a flamethrower doing 6 points of damage to a brand-new plasticore tire. You damaged a flammable component (the rubber), so you have a chance to start a fire. Even though all of the flammable part was destroyed.

Then there's also the discussion of how much it costs to make the rubber portion fireproof. Paying the full tire price for just the 4 DP (16% of the total DP) seems awfully steep.

Personally, I think that treating the entire plasticore tire as fireproof is reasonable, even though the rules don't read that way. It makes the rules cleaner.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:55 AM   #147
Racer

Noticed a few things about 10 Wheeled Trucks :

1 ) No option to have 'No Carrier' on the list .

2 ) Flatbeds seem to have a base of 26* Spaces , when it should be 20* ?

3 ) Armoured Box seems to included automatically on a Flatbed Carrier ?

4 ) Depending on the Rules/Rulings , the Spaces used for the Armoured Box Weapons/Equipment dose or does NOT come out of the Base Cargo Spaces from the Flatbeds Spaces ? Conflicting rules depending on which ADQ&A Rulings & the Editions don't help . We play it as this : the Box is tucked away at the Back , UNDER the Flatbed - & thus does NOT decrease the Spaces for Cargo . But as I said , rulings are ambiguous ...

Fake weapon bugs appear to be sorted - still it would be nice to mount 4 Fake MGs on a 2 Space Turret , like you can do in the main Rules ... ;-)

Last edited by Racer; 07-07-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:06 PM   #148
ammulder

OK, thanks for the notes.

But 4 MGs on a 2-space turret? Isn't the whole idea of fake weapons to be *plausible*? Otherwise it doesn't seem like much of a deterrent. :)
ammulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:12 PM   #149
Racer

True but those Fake MGs would be declared as 'Four Small Bore Projectile Weapons' which will give an opponent a head scratching moment ? Oh course barring the Micro Machine Guns from Turbofire ½ Space Small Bore Weapons don't exist ! ;-)
The illustration from UACFH for Fake Weapons shows a Car bristling with weapons . It's not a game changer but an amusing option for scenarios etc - especially after all the mad stuff various friends have pulled on me .
Would never use that that tactic in the Arena , but using 18 Real or Fake Mini Rockets on one side of a Luxury ( both the same weight ) , has been enough for all other players to target it out of fear ! Leaving them open to attacks by my Teammates ....

Thanks bud & must say Combat Garage is great stress buster :-)
Old 07-23-2017, 06:32 AM   #150
Racer

Getting a Error 504 message when trying to access Combat Garage main page ... :-/