Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-25-2014, 11:06 PM   #1
McAllister

Default Super... Payload?

Let's say I want a Payload big enough to drive a truck into, but I'm not actually super-strong. How am I going to fit a truck in me? Let's just assume I have a Cosmic (Extradimensional, +50%) Payload that I want to have massive capacity.

Is there any way to make a Payload with Super (+300% or 400%)? What would it look like? If I took Payload 20 (Cosmic +50%, Super +300%) for 90 points, could I look 20 up on the Super-Abilities table, see that it's 5,000, and put things weighing up to a total of 500 times my Basic Lift in my pocket dimension (or take them out), spending an FP to do so if they weigh more than twice my BL?

"Pocket Dimension?" you might think. "Well, if you have a pocket dimension, why not just use Affliction (Jumper) to jump things into your dimension and Snatcher (Large Objects, Recall) to get them back?" Good question. The answer is that those abilities assume that I have my own private pocket dimension for everything to go into. What am I paying for that? I'm paying for the ability to put things in and take things out, but why can I just assume I have my own pocket dimension? If there's a cost for "I have a limitless, featureless plain that can only be accessed by my abilities aka a pocket dimension," let me know, but assuming there's not, I think the only way to create one is to take a Payload (Cosmic: Extradimensional).
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:12 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Super... Payload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
If there's a cost for "I have a limitless, featureless plain that can only be accessed by my abilities aka a pocket dimension," let me know,

Lord of Your Own Domain
, Pyramid #3/63: Infinite Worlds II p. 11.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:57 AM   #3
Refplace

Lord of Your Own Domain as suggested is probably the best way to go here.
I would likely allow Super Effort on Payload but you would have to maintain it the whole time or things over capacity would be ejected when it went to normal.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:06 AM   #4
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Lord of Your Own Domain as suggested is probably the best way to go here.
I would likely allow Super Effort on Payload but you would have to maintain it the whole time or things over capacity would be ejected when it went to normal.
If given an Accessibility so that it only applied to Payload, there are probably no balance issues with allowing the Cosmic + Reduced Fatigue Cost add-on for Lifting ST with Super-Effort.

However, that said, let me third the notion that LOYOD is a simpler, cheaper, and more versatile approach. Plus, if I may say so myself, Pyramid #3/63: Infinite Worlds II is one of the more fun issues we've done -- I've already stolen many ideas from it for my own games. :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:57 AM   #5
McAllister

Well, I don't have that one. So, if I'm stuck with the expensive, complicated and narrow approach of Payload, what would you give for "Accessibility: Payload Only" on Lifting ST?
Old 09-26-2014, 07:04 AM   #6
Varyon

Quote:
Well, I don't have that one. So, if I'm stuck with the expensive, complicated and narrow approach of Payload, what would you give for "Accessibility: Payload Only" on Lifting ST?
Personally, I feel it's such a limited form of the Advantage that -80% is appropriate. That's [0.6] per +1 - every [3] gets you +5 to Lifting ST for purposes of calculating Payload.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:02 AM   #7
McAllister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Personally, I feel it's such a limited form of the Advantage that -80% is appropriate. That's [0.6] per +1 - every [3] gets you +5 to Lifting ST for purposes of calculating Payload.
It doesn't let you grapple better, be a better archer, or wear heavier armor... it does let you pull a car off a child after a car accident, but that's pretty niche... -80% might be generous, but probably the most game-breaking thing you could do with it is put cars/boulders/minotaurs in your Payload, fly over people, and drop them: and since that's not how I intend to use it... Yes, this has potential, thank you.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:25 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Let's say I want a Payload big enough to drive a truck into, but I'm not actually super-strong. How am I going to fit a truck in me? Let's just assume I have a Cosmic (Extradimensional, +50%) Payload that I want to have massive capacity.

Is there any way to make a Payload with Super (+300% or 400%)? What would it look like? If I took Payload 20 (Cosmic +50%, Super +300%) for 90 points, could I look 20 up on the Super-Abilities table, see that it's 5,000, and put things weighing up to a total of 500 times my Basic Lift in my pocket dimension (or take them out), spending an FP to do so if they weigh more than twice my BL?

"Pocket Dimension?" you might think. "Well, if you have a pocket dimension, why not just use Affliction (Jumper) to jump things into your dimension and Snatcher (Large Objects, Recall) to get them back?" Good question. The answer is that those abilities assume that I have my own private pocket dimension for everything to go into. What am I paying for that? I'm paying for the ability to put things in and take things out, but why can I just assume I have my own pocket dimension? If there's a cost for "I have a limitless, featureless plain that can only be accessed by my abilities aka a pocket dimension," let me know, but assuming there's not, I think the only way to create one is to take a Payload (Cosmic: Extradimensional).
As the author of the article that's been suggested this is pretty much the reason I wrote the bloody thing in the first place. I got feed up trying to do exactly this. That said, maybe add "Based on Will, +20%" to Payload so you can base it on your Will instead of ST or consider lifting Static Load from Warp in GURPS Psionic Powers and apply it to Payload. Again, there is no easy way to do this which was why I wrote the rules I did.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:02 PM   #9
McAllister

So, using multiplicative modifiers...

Lifting ST 12 (Super-Effort +400%, Cosmic +50%, Reduced Fatigue +20%, Accessibility {only Payload} -80%) = 42 points
Payload 3 (Cosmic +50%, Reliable 2 +10%, Magical -10%) = 5 points

At ST 10, (210x210)/5 = 8820, 8820x.3 = 2,646

So, if I've set my goal building a character who can carry a ton, I've met it with 47 points. There might even be a more efficient ratio of Lifting ST to Payload, but this works fine. For balance purposes, I might further limit Payload with Accessibility: Only objects I've etched a symbol of ownership on [-10%] and Accessibility: can only add/remove items that are/will be supported by a solid surface [-10%] to prevent the character from swiping things like mad and dropping cars on people from helicopters.

Is there anything wrong with this?
Old 09-26-2014, 08:08 PM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

That's workable...but it'll only help when you use Extra-Effort which usually lasts for only a second.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote