Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-29-2009, 08:32 AM   #31
Fred Brackin

Default Re: How can an Ewok take out a Scout Trooper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
In Star Trek, it's very difficult to explain why they don't use the transporter to create an army of Picards and take over the universe.
There's only enough luck/script immunity to go around for one Picard.

As soon as you made the second one a crisis would arise that demanded the second one sacrifice himself to save the first one (and the universe of course).

A similar phenomenon explains there are never very many ships of the Enterprise Class. As long as they're just going to blow up anyway you might as well save wear and tear on the replicators.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:13 AM   #32
Jasonft

Making an army of Picards isn't what I would do in Trek. I would build a solar panel array roughly the size of Mercury (set in Mercury's orbit) feeding a starship replicator. As in a replicator that replicates entire warships...

Although the cloaked, self propelled, distributed computer, self-replicating minefield they did once in DS9 *was* pretty cool. Expand the technology and make cloaked cruise missiles for use against infrastructure - and if you do it right they never even know who attacked them.

About the only one that really tried to keep the tech 'realistic' that I enjoyed was Babylon 5. Even they slipped up a few times. Good SF and good science (at least on TV) so rarely combine it makes me sad.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #33
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

What's the TS, Raise and Maintenance cost of an Ewok squad anyway? And what Optional Features should they buy, aside from Terrain?
Old 06-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #34
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonft View Post
Making an army of Picards isn't what I would do in Trek. I would build a solar panel array roughly the size of Mercury (set in Mercury's orbit) feeding a starship replicator. As in a replicator that replicates entire warships...
Come on. You know that it's been said that many itypes of tems can't be replicated.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #35
Xplo

If you watch the movies, it's obvious that whatever the Stormtroopers are wearing, it sure ain't armor.

This is really driven home in Return of the Jedi, you know, that movie you're asking about, where Ewoks manage to hurt them using rocks and sticks. And, as someone pointed out, you never, ever see them shrug off a blaster hit. Or anything else, for that matter.

Really, if you take the position that Star Wars is just kung fu in space, and look to kung fu movies for reference, I suspect you'll find that very few people wear armor that has any observable benefit. It just doesn't fit the genre. This is also why you almost never see Han, Leia, or anyone else wearing armor of any kind except when they're in disguise. (Boba Fett seems to be an exception; didn't we see him bounce some blaster fire in RotJ? Can't remember now.)
Xplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:33 PM   #36
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
The PC's all know, in convenient detail, the story that the victory involved spear-carrying munchkins laying out stormtroopers, etc., etc, and they even have the option of believing that story.
I like this, and it has a lot of historical precedent.

It would be very easy for A select team of soldiers, along with a few war heroes who were only there for prestige reasons, were guided to a vulnerable point in enemy security by locals. to morph into They were beaten by teddy bears! They are stoopid!
Old 06-29-2009, 06:42 PM   #37
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

This question has always had an EASY answer: the source inspiration for the Ewoks vs Sttormtroopers was the historical battles of Zulus vs. British colonial soldiers in Africa. Most likely inspired by movies based on Roarke's drift.

The main idea being that the Stormtroopers/Scout troopers have underestimated the creativity and resourcefulness of the local residents - the good 'ol Ewoks. Also, its the home turf of the Ewoks - they know the territory much better.

If I was the GM I would weight things heavily with the above ideas in mind.

- Ed Charlton
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:34 PM   #38
Jasonft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Come on. You know that it's been said that many itypes of tems can't be replicated.
And how many times did Trek have a 'rule' like that where the creative engineer or science officer promptly found a way around it? Maybe you couldn't instantly create certain things, but if you had the technology to turn energy directly into matter and an effectively unlimited energy supply you could find a way to do it.

As for the Zulus vs British argument - I fully agree. Except that the level of casualties the Zulus took in that fight would never be acceptable on screen, especially if the 'Zulus' were photogenic.

And it should be noted (given the thread purpose) that the British WON Rorke's Drift. At odds of 139 vs 4 or 5 THOUSAND Zulus. Even if it did take over 90% of their ammunition reserves to do it.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:09 PM   #39
bumbot

Been a few months since I actually watched the movies, so I have to ask: Did the storm troopers who were hit by rocks die, or get knocked over? Because, they don't wear powered armour, right? So getting pelted in the head with a bunch of football sized rocks from an elevated position ought to at least knock someone down, even if they don't take damage. Also, the necks aren't enforced, so getting bombed with a rock from a hang glider would probably do something. Most of all, I wouldn't want to get caught in any of those big log traps, no matter what kind of armour I had on.

I'd say use the rules as written, but couple the Ewoks' size modifier with cover rules for heavy foliage and natural camo, combined with trademark Stormtrooper accuracy, and what's left is low casualties for the Ewoks, and a distraction for the rebels. Take out the AT-STs with a couple log traps, which I can't see a problem with, seeing as trees are freaking heavy, and I'd say it works just fine.
bumbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:37 AM   #40
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaman View Post
Let me rephrase your problem.

You have two math texts, one says 2+2 = 5 and the other says 2+2=3.

You are basically trying to get them to agree. The fact is you can't, so choose which text you wish to use and stick with it.
bad example. because I can get them the agree.

2+2 can equal 5.

2.49 is 2 when rounded to 1 significant figure. 2.49 + 2.49 = 4.98 or 5 rounded to 1 significant figure.

1.5 is 2 when rounded to 1 significant figure. 1.5+1.5 = 3.

Make Blasters an Energy weapon. Storm Troops arm than can be give a good DR vs the engergy attack, but lower DR vs physical attacks

Last edited by roguebfl; 06-30-2009 at 12:41 AM.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
star wars