Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-22-2020, 01:01 PM   #11
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Blind Teleport into a Wall

I would require an immediate Warp roll, with the penalties appropriate for an instant blind jump, with success allowing the character to avoid the obstacle. If they fail, they suffer 1d damage per point of failure, bypassing DR, with a maximum of 5d damage on a critical failure or failure by 5+. In addition, they may be entombed in the obstacle if it is large enough.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:18 PM   #12
Anders

There used to be an enhancement called "castling" in the old Psionics book (for 3rd edition). You switched place with whatever was at the place you teleported to. Allowed for the creation of remarkably realistic statues.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:30 PM   #13
Taneli

You can end up with this in other ways too. Suppose someone went to your home and re-decorated while you were away? Your usual jumping spot (and you will have a usual jumping spot, only crazy or very trained people would alter their jumping spot every single time) might have the bloody ottoman on it!

It would be easiest to call it just a failure (-5 to use that ability for the next 10 minutes). Most experienced teleporters should know what the headache (I always picture the penalty as a headache) means. Even a critical failure isn't supposed to be always deadly straight away.

But then, what happens if you try to jump into a high-rise without seeing the place and the building was demolished last week? I'd rule that you just jump, and then have to deal with the fall and the sudden deceleration. Maybe carry a parachute, or invest into a Danger Sense (Only to avert teleportation accidents)?

As a side note, how much of a limitation would "Only to avert teleportation accidents, like jumping into into liquids or open air" be for Danger Sense? My gut directs me towards something like -50%, or even more of a discount. I mean, it takes away most of the usability of the Danger Sense, but when it applies, it can be literally life saving. Maybe even -80%? One could even see a version that works like normal, but only when you're about to teleport into a dangerous situation. That I would price at something like -30% or -40%.

Thoughts?
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:50 PM   #14
Ejidoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
As a side note, how much of a limitation would "Only to avert teleportation accidents, like jumping into into liquids or open air" be for Danger Sense? My gut directs me towards something like -50%, or even more of a discount. I mean, it takes away most of the usability of the Danger Sense, but when it applies, it can be literally life saving. Maybe even -80%? One could even see a version that works like normal, but only when you're about to teleport into a dangerous situation. That I would price at something like -30% or -40%.

Thoughts?
Aspected is -20%, and is priced the same as Accessibility, half the time, -20%. A character with Danger Sense specifically related to teleporting probably teleports a lot, so that's probably a fair price at least for your 'works like normal' version.

For the more specific, 'only to avert obvious blind teleport accidents', I'd double that up to -40%, since it's only a small subset of the above.

I'm really conservative with free-form limitations, though. Others might apply a much bigger discount.

EDIT:

As far as the main topic of this thread, I'm coming around to 'it's just like they failed the roll' as probably the best way to handle it.
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:57 PM   #15
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
There used to be an enhancement called "castling" in the old Psionics book (for 3rd edition). You switched place with whatever was at the place you teleported to. Allowed for the creation of remarkably realistic statues.
IIRC you couldn't do pieces of whole objects, though I do like the statue idea. Castling usually requires an Affliction under 4e, so if the Affliction fails you don't Warp either.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:49 AM   #16
Anders

I would make it a Cosmic enhancement, either +50% or +100%. That's a lot of points and I like to simplify builds.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:13 AM   #17
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I would make it a Cosmic enhancement, either +50% or +100%. That's a lot of points and I like to simplify builds.
I like to simplify as well, but when you're forcibly relocating others at a distance it should be treated as an attack of some kind.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:11 PM   #18
kirbwarrior

My rule of thumb is 'what is the simplest answer?'. If you try to teleport somewhere you can't go and still succeed the roll, nothing happens. No downside, no upside, you just don't go anywhere. That's what I've done, but one player liked the idea of 'close enough' and that feature makes it so they teleport close to where they wanted to go. It was usually in a straight line (you teleport only 9 hexes instead of 10) but if the destination was really far I'd just choose somewhere close enough or roll for direction so I don't have to 'draw' the line.

Blind being able to hurt you in some manner sounds like a (very antagonistic) limitation on Warp. Small damage on a success somewhere you can't go sounds like a fine -5% limitation. Castling is a whole build of its own.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:28 AM   #19
Crystalline_Entity

I honestly thought Warp said that if you try and teleport into a solid object, the warp fails. It doesn't - I was confusing it with Jumper, which says
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic p.64
If there is no corresponding “safe” location within 100 yards of your destination – for instance, if you jump while on an airplane to a destination with no plane at your location, or from a half-mile deep mine to a destination with no corresponding mine – the jump will fail and you will know why it failed.
I'd be tempted to apply the same logic to warp - if you try and teleport into an unsafe area, it fails. I'd maybe rule that some form of Cosmic could override this, allowing an Affliction with Advantage: Warp to become an offensive power.
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:58 AM   #20
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalline_Entity View Post
I'd be tempted to apply the same logic to warp - if you try and teleport into an unsafe area, it fails. I'd maybe rule that some form of Cosmic could override this, allowing an Affliction with Advantage: Warp to become an offensive power.
"Know why it failed" is something I really like. As for that affliction, 'instant death with some way out or to stop it' is +300% and this seems like a fine way to do that if the point is to have an attack that teleports someone somewhere unsafe/inside something.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
castling