Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 05-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
Gidoza

Default Choose One Such-And-Such To Discard

If I use a curse on my buddy, such as Discard One Small Item, and the description says, "Choose one small item to discard," who makes the choice - me, or the person who is the victim of the curse?
Gidoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Choose One Such-And-Such To Discard

The text on a Curse is an instruction to the victim. However, I'm fairly certain this is covered in the FAQ under the section entitled "Curses!" Ah, yes:

Quote:
Q. If a Curse/Trap could apply to more than one Item, who decides what it applies to?
A. It depends on what the card says. If the card says "Choose one small Item to discard" and not something like "Choose one small Item for Fred to discard, nyah nyah," it is the victim's choice. Some cards specify who (e.g., player to the right) and how (e.g., random) the choice is to be made.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Gidoza

Ah, right, got that. So, second question, then - if the victim happens to have a card of the appropriate kind in his hand, may he discard the one from his hand instead of one from the table?
Old 05-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
Clipper

Generally, no. Cards that are in your hand only count as cards, or as their deck type (Door or Treasure) unless the rules or a card says otherwise (e.g., the rules on selling for levels specifically allow you to sell from your hand). Thus, cards in your hand are not Items or Classes or whatever else. However, if you were hit by a Curse which said to "discard a card" or "discard a Treasure card" and it did not specify a particular location, you could use cards in your hands (or from the table) to satisfy the cost.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
Gidoza

Ah, I see the distinction. "Discard a card" is different from "discard an item," where items = only on the table, but cards = anywhere. That makes sense.

Thanks!
-Gid