Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 02-20-2009, 09:43 AM   #11
demonsbane

Default Re: New Pyramid, New Thau' spoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by baakyocalder
(...) These two new products tie nicely into recent releases. They won't be for everyone who plays GURPS, but I think for anyone trying to work some magic, they'll be nice additions to the library.

Good work!
I agree. And they are very related to Fantasy! (my fav genre)

With my lack of time, I don't know when I am going to be able to really use these PDFs, but I just bought both releases (Magical Styles & Pyramid 3/4) in support of SJG and GURPS.

Regards

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:27 AM   #12
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: New Pyramid, New Thau' spoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by happylrac

I'm thinking there could be a series here
That's the basic idea. My PDF merely lays the groundwork. Now people can write up styles. The reason for just one worked example was strictly length, which translates directly into price point. Also, there's a second fully worked example in Pyramid #3/4, which demonstrates a totally different flavor of style with an utterly different approach to a spell list.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #13
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Default Re: New Pyramid, New Thau'

Me likey. As a GURPS junkie, I heartily approve of the "all GURPS, all the time" Pyramid articles, especially because I buy pretty much everything that comes out of e23 for GURPS. I can see how people who aren't rabid fans might be put off by articles being written on supplements they don't own, but for me, it's glorious! That said, I agree with baakyocalder in that I don't really understand the point of two recommended reading sections. I usually only skim them anyways, so I might not be the target audience, but they are not my favorite part of Pyramid.

I've only skimmed Magical Styles so far, but I've been eagerly anticipating it, and the discovery that it was mostly guidelines for how to create them as opposed to a bunch of examples made me very happy. I'll buy any future "theme" supplements full of examples, but it's nice that I have some pointers on how to build them myself.

As usual, thanks for staying classy, SJGames.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:12 PM   #14
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk
I heartily approve of the "all GURPS, all the time" Pyramid articles, especially because I buy pretty much everything that comes out of e23 for GURPS. I can see how people who aren't rabid fans might be put off by articles being written on supplements they don't own, but for me, it's glorious! (...)
Seconded.

BTW, after glancing these books, the Mass Combat Cards looks great. And very useful.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:23 PM   #15
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Well, for me, what really did it, in this issue is the Imbuements article. Really good, and really applicable to the games I'm currently running (Dungeon Fantasy with Imbuements, and Superheroes, with one imbuement enhanced super-marksman and an imbuement enhanced super-martial artist)
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:38 AM   #16
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima
Well, for me, what really did it, in this issue is the Imbuements article. Really good, and really applicable to the games I'm currently running
Glad to know it'll be useful. :-) "I'm going to use this in a game" is pretty much the highest praise you can give a game article, as far as I'm concerned.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:59 AM   #17
Gavynn

I'll second the praise for the imbuements article. I picked up the issue last night and it was my favourite in the issue, followed closely by S^3.
Gavynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:57 AM   #18
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen
Glad to know it'll be useful. :-) "I'm going to use this in a game" is pretty much the highest praise you can give a game article, as far as I'm concerned.
It's not I'm going to use it in a game, it's I'm already using this in a game xD
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:48 AM   #19
Mailanka

This was a great all around magazine this time around. Like the first one, it was one of those that made me sit up and read through articles. Of course, you expect a Dr. Kromm article to do that, but I wouldn't even call his the best. Very good. I also liked how Pyramid included adverts for appropriate GURPS books, and I note that they dumped Fnordplay (no loss there, alas). If things can keep this exciting, I'm all there for my renewal.
Mailanka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pyramid 3/4, thaumatology