Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-10-2020, 12:35 AM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Weird Power Modifiers [Powers]

I was just wondering if anyone was willing to share the power modifiers that they developed for their settings? Here are a few of mine:

Agonizing Ascension (-10%): Cosmic, +50%; Nuisance Effect, Backlash, Agony, Resisted by HT, -50%; Pact, -10%.

Choking Ascension (-10%): Cosmic, +50%; Nuisance Effect, Backlash, Choking, Resisted by HT, -50%; Pact, -10%.

Ecstatic Ascension (-10%): Cosmic, +50%; Nuisance Effect, Backlash, Ecstasy, Resisted by HT, -50%; Pact, -10%.

Seizing Ascension (-10%): Cosmic, +50%; Nuisance Effect, Backlash, Seizures, -50%; Pact, -10%.

Please feel free to share your own.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:38 AM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: Weird Power Modifiers [Powers]

Why do all four of yours include Cosmic? It seems rather odd at first glance, and not having any fluff to go with them nor an idea on the setting these are for makes it hard yo see the Cosmic as anything other than "I need something to bump them to -10%" (and not every PM is -10%, as Spirit, -25% is a thing).

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:07 AM   #3
Phantasm

A few I've used:

Chemical (-10%): These abilities are dependent upon some form of chemical/alchemical potion being applied to the body on a regular basis, whether through ingestion, inhalation, or injection. This potion is the equivalent of Maintenance (One Person; Weekly) (-5%); the potion takes at least an hour to create. In addition, the effects of the potion can be counteracted through other pharmaceutical means (-5%).

Mutant Biology (-0%): The character is a mutant, and can be detected as such. However, the abilities with this power modifier are physical adaptations which cannot be removed except through surgery (usually amputation of limbs), and are nearly indistinguishable from "wild" abilities, but do receive the skill bonus from Power Talents. Because of this, there is no value to the modifier.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:11 AM   #4
Gumby Bush

Regarding the title: Is that "Power Modifiers which are Weird" or "Power Modifiers for use with Powers: The Weird"? I read it the latter way at first, but that may be because I was just just looking at said book.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:58 AM   #5
AlexanderHowl

It is power modifiers that are weird. The four examples that I originally gave are the consequences of mortals attempting to access cosmic forces. Some of them suffer agony, some of them forget to breathe, some of them suffer ecstasy, and some of them suffer seizures. In order to access such cosmoc forces though, they must align with a cosmic principle through a pact.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote