Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 08-30-2017, 06:33 PM   #2981
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
Never have I been happier about armor in GURPS! Alas that my funds were not sufficiently fluid to back the Kickstarter - I shall be vigilant for the physical product to appear in stores that I may purchase a copy.
If you have a friendly local game store, you can fill out this lovely form and give it to them to pre-order your copy.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:05 AM   #2982
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afschell View Post
. . .
I'm trying to find a DFRPG mechanic that will allow for a dog/wolf/vargr to perform a takedown/throat attack. Grappling is close, but they don't have hands. Basic Characters has the "sweep" technique, which could possibly be used, but I am trying to minimize including extra rules.
. . .
I really appreciate the grappling discussion that was being had up-thread.

SJ Games cranks out a lot of GURPS material.

But I sometimes wish they would slow down and cover more of these details.

I spent some time trying to figure out how to apply those rules to animal attacks in various sequences. I considered examples that crunched some of the numbers and applied various conditions.

I would buy more Pyramid articles, cheat sheets, or sample combats that actually rehash some of this stuff. I could put that stuff to use right away.

It seems that a newcomer to GURPS has three choices when really applying rules like this:
a) Get an idea of the rules, roll dice, and wing it.
b) Start asking questions about the meaning of the rules . . . and eventually go back to D&D, Savage Worlds, or whatever.
c) Really spend time to figure it out, create your cheat sheets, and become a true GURPS devotee.

I don't own Martial Arts, so I don't know what was addressed there. I took a look at some of Mook's combat examples and those are on target.

But more official support material in this vein would be excellent.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:18 AM   #2983
rknop

Will there be something like the Bits & Mortar program to provide PDFs of the game to those who buy the physical box? I'm not asking for myself; I was a high enough level Kickstarter backer that I already have the PDFs, and will have the box in a month or so. I'm putting myself in the shoes of somebody buying it at a game store. In this day and age, I really like having PDFs as well as physical books of things. I've been slow to fill out my GURPS PDF collection for straight-up financial reasons, although I do have a handful of the PDFs to go with my hardbacks. I've really liked that a number of smaller companies will give you free PDFs if you buy the hardback from a local game store. (Many of these same companies will *not* give you a free PDF if you buy the book from a discount online retailer like Amazon, however; part of the purpose is to support local game stores.) It's helped encourage me to buy some game books I might not otherwise have purchased. (E.g., I have several books from Pelgrane Press, and I might not have picked up one or two of them without the promise of a free PDF to go along with it.)
rknop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:57 AM   #2984
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
It seems that a newcomer to GURPS has three choices when really applying rules like this:
a) Get an idea of the rules, roll dice, and wing it.
This is how newcomers to every roleplaying game start playing, generally. It's my recommendation as well.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:38 AM   #2985
philosophyguy

I've posted by review for DFRPG: Monsters. While the content is great, the production value is honestly disappointing. There are serious issues with organization, layout, and lack of art. There also should have been a lot more depth to the advice for GMs on judging combat difficulty and building appropriately challenging encounters.
philosophyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:06 AM   #2986
dbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknop View Post
Will there be something like the Bits & Mortar program to provide PDFs of the game to those who buy the physical box?
I doubt it. SJG strongly believe that PDFs have additional value and don't bundle free with any physical product at the moment. I wish they would to help push the game.

Given they charged extra to backers for the PDFs they have pretty much painted themselves into a corner, here. Giving shop-buyers a free PDF would be seen negatively by backers who had to pay extra for this (based on experience of previous KS projects). Backers feel (reasonably - they are taking a risk by backing and paying far upfront for their reward) that they should get a better deal than shop purchasers. The boxset will be $70 retail IIRC, so that might mitigate things somewhat.
dbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:27 PM   #2987
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm View Post
The boxset will be $70 retail IIRC, so that might mitigate things somewhat.
$60USD was the updated RRP
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:33 PM   #2988
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm View Post
I doubt it. SJG strongly believe that PDFs have additional value and don't bundle free with any physical product at the moment. I wish they would to help push the game.
I don't think they have ever said this, and given they have to manually comp PDFs this may just not be logistically possible with the current staff and resources.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 08-31-2017 at 10:48 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:54 PM   #2989
Stone Dog

Manually compile? Aren't the PDFs already made?
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:52 PM   #2990
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Dog View Post
Manually compile? Aren't the PDFs already made?
Comp, not compile. "Comp" is a bit of jargon, both a noun ("Give the guy at the box office my card if you come to my show tonight; he'll give you some comps.") and a verb ("If you want to come to my show tonight, I can comp you some tickets."), derived from "complimentary". It means providing products for free. For example, if you get an article published in Pyramid, they'll provide you with a comp copy of the issue. In this case, from Warehouse 23's point of view, PDFs for people who bought the box set would look like comps, in that they wouldn't be purchased.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy