Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 05-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
Gidoza

Default Boomdagger

An intriguing question that came up during our game today with the Boomdagger is this: the Boomdagger seems to account on the card for every single possibility of what can happen to it, except for its being discarded. For this, no information is provided, except that the last line seemingly might suggest that it returns to the hand. Is there an official ruling about what happens to a discarded Boomdagger? (I suppose the ultimate question is: can you use it to steal from someone, and just get it back later?)

Secondly, is a Boomdagger discarded from the hand as part of charity qualifiable for returning to the owner?

Thirdly, I assume that a Cheat!ed Boomdagger loses its Cheat! if that Boomdagger leaves play, even if the Boomdagger comes back to its owner in the end.
Gidoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:14 AM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Boomdagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidoza View Post
An intriguing question that came up during our game today with the Boomdagger is this: the Boomdagger seems to account on the card for every single possibility of what can happen to it, except for its being discarded. For this, no information is provided, except that the last line seemingly might suggest that it returns to the hand. Is there an official ruling about what happens to a discarded Boomdagger? (I suppose the ultimate question is: can you use it to steal from someone, and just get it back later?)
Yes, it will return to you if you discard it to power an ability such as Theft. However, it does not return to the owner's hand. It returns to the table, in play.

Quote:
Secondly, is a Boomdagger discarded from the hand as part of charity qualifiable for returning to the owner?
No. It has to be in play for its effect to work. It also has to be in use when it is lost. This is because Items must be in use for their powers to work.

Quote:
Thirdly, I assume that a Cheat!ed Boomdagger loses its Cheat! if that Boomdagger leaves play, even if the Boomdagger comes back to its owner in the end.
Your assumption is correct.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
Gidoza

Oh, and here's a situation that's worth asking about...

Suppose the following happens.

Player A has a Boomdagger, and discards it from play by using, say, a thievery ability (he'll get it back at his next turn). Of course, it still goes in the discard pile until it comes back.

Player B, during his turn, either uses a Cleric ability or some other card to get the Boomdagger from the discard pile, and puts it in play.

Now, what happens?

Does Player A get his Boomdagger back?

If Player A does get his Boomdagger back, then does the ability activate for Player B at that point, causing Player B to get it back on his turn? Thus, theoretically, the Boomdagger would bounce back and forth between the two players until some other event happened that stopped the loop.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
Clipper

You're not the first person to ask this, although the answer isn't 100% certain yet.

My theory is that it would indeed switch between both players on their respective turns. The same would go for a Thief that stole the Boomdagger from a different Thief and then discarded it for a Theft attempt of a different Item.

Also note that it is quite difficult for a Cleric to get the Boomdagger out of the discard pile anyway. He can only use Resurrection when he would be drawing face-up cards, with the only reliable way of doing so with Treasure being to win a battle with a helper, and you can only take a helper if you are losing a battle.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
Gidoza

Yes, I'm aware of that difficulty, but it still seemed worth asking. But thanks, anyways. :)
Old 06-26-2016, 06:08 AM   #6
coldsun

Guys, hello.
I want to ask one more question about Boomdagger. It is returned to the owner if owner is not Theif (so, player owns Boomdagger but keeps it horizontally cause it can not be used)?

Thanks in advance.
coldsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:45 AM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

This is a fairly complicated question, which borders on being outside the scope of the Munchkin 101 forum. If this answer doesn't adequately address what you are asking, you may want to post a clarified question in the main Munchkin forum.

If the Boomdagger was not equipped when it was lost, then its returning ability was not active and it does not come back. This is true whether the owner was a Thief or not. Unequipped permanent Items do not have any abilities unless they say otherwise.

If a non-Thief had somehow legally equipped the Boomdagger when it was stolen, Cursed, or sold for a level, then the Boomdagger does return. If the non-Thief does not have a legal way to equip the Boomdagger when it comes back, then it comes back unequipped.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:30 PM   #8
Moldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Now I get what you're asking . . . and that's a very good question. By the wording of the card, the answer is "yes," so that's what I'm going with until I get contradicted.
So, now you are contradicted?
Old 06-30-2016, 03:13 PM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldon View Post
So, now you are contradicted?
With six years of experience, I have rethought the answer.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote