Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 04-04-2019, 07:56 AM   #111
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2 and Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Reprint

It's a safe bet that if a combat rule exists only in GURPS Martial Arts, it's too much detail for the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game. I wrote both, so that isn't a commentary on which source is better . . . it's just that after a certain point, there is such a thing as "too much." However many GURPS books come out with however much detail, when I run an event at a con, the average GURPS player playing a fighter mostly just takes Attack maneuvers to roll at full skill to hit the torso, and then uses parry to defend.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:25 AM   #112
tbone

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2 and Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Reprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
. . . the average GURPS player playing a fighter mostly just takes Attack maneuvers to roll at full skill to hit the torso, and then uses parry to defend.
I take that as a sign of good rules-writing: When, after all the fancy high-power options, all of which are great in the right place at the right time. . . . a plain old
"I just hit him" remains a perfectly good option. That's a sign of a solid system.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:33 PM   #113
zuljita

My current going attack string for my DFRPG frontliner looks like this (More or less, circumstances can change things): [[3d6]] vs 13 rapid strike to the center mass -6/-3 deceptive.

If we allowed more choices from Martial Arts, I might occasionally do a triple rapid strike with less deceptive, but that's probably all I'd change.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:44 PM   #114
Refplace

In my DF game, the archer almost always uses Targeted Attack and the two fighters often do Deceptive Attack, with the better armored one sometimes doing All Out Attack. My shaman often does a Shield Bash or Shield Rush, not to hurt them but as a form of crowd control.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:27 PM   #115
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
It's a safe bet that if a combat rule exists only in GURPS Martial Arts, it's too much detail for the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game. I wrote both, so that isn't a commentary on which source is better . . . it's just that after a certain point, there is such a thing as "too much." However many GURPS books come out with however much detail, when I run an event at a con, the average GURPS player playing a fighter mostly just takes Attack maneuvers to roll at full skill to hit the torso, and then uses parry to defend.
I can’t speak for your con experience, but this isn’t the case for me.

Players get very frustrated by enemies defending. Probably because they are frequently used to systems where there is no defence roll. So they will at least use deceptive attack.

Also they will usually move and attack to get around the battlefield, but they can’t use the attacking weapon to defend there (even if that is forgotten frequently).

Also if there is one or more experienced players that makes a difference, less experienced players will adjust based on that.

Regardless most of the suggestions I made are for the GM, me.

Big opponents and ridiculously high ST monsters are distinctly different from what you can do with vanilla DFRPG.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:39 PM   #116
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

When are the Backerkit surveys going out?
Old 04-21-2019, 06:02 PM   #117
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

I'm getting kind of antsy here. While my pledge wasn't that much (enough for the PDF and some dice), I am kind of expecting a backerkit to select the dice I want...
Old 04-22-2019, 03:21 AM   #118
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Darryll is working on it. We'll make an announcement just as soon as the surveys are ready; shouldn't be much longer.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:52 PM   #119
GnomesofZurich

I'm looking at the survey. What is the difference, if any, between Pyramid: The Dungeon Fantasy Collection $15 and Pyramid: Dungeon Fantasy Collected $16?
Old 04-24-2019, 03:11 PM   #120
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
I'm looking at the survey. What is the difference, if any, between Pyramid: The Dungeon Fantasy Collection $15 and Pyramid: Dungeon Fantasy Collected $16?
Here are a few answers for you from another thread.
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...&postcount=125

and
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...&postcount=126
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote