Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-14-2019, 09:50 PM   #1
Bicorn

Default Special abilities linked to ablative protection

Been watching Katana Maidens, and pondered a bit how to best model their utsushi technique. It creates a sort of magic shell around the user that gives various combat enhancements, but if they take too much damage the shell is dispelled; the user is left exhausted but otherwise unharmed.
So, what we want here is a temporary powerup that also works like ablative DR, and if the protection runs out the powerup is also switched off. How would you model this? Maybe Alternate Form with Non-Reciprocal Damage?

Last edited by Bicorn; 02-14-2019 at 10:15 PM.
Bicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:08 AM   #2
naloth

Default Re: Special abilities linked to ablative protection

Only while DR is active would be a -10% limitation. It's the same as the "only in altered body form" which covers any switchable physical transformation.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:02 AM   #3
AlexanderHowl

Another possibility would be DR with Ablative, Absorption, Flexible, and Force Field. As they take damage, they gain points to improve their abilities, which fade over time.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:52 AM   #4
Bicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
Only while DR is active would be a -10% limitation. It's the same as the "only in altered body form" which covers any switchable physical transformation.
This feels like the most straightforward way to model it. Though would need some way to also limit excess damage from the final hit when the DR runs out, as in the fights I've seen so far the final blow never seems to leave any lasting damage; the utsushi gets dispelled, but the user is left unable to fight but otherwise unharmed.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:41 AM   #5
AlexanderHowl

Well, that could be done with layering DR. The first layer would have Ablative, Absorption, Flexible, and Force Field while the second layer would have Ablative, Flexible, and Force Field. The first layer (6 CP/level) would act as the energy source of their abilities while the second layer (1 CP/level) would protect them from harm. You could also have an ER that could only be recharged by FP generated by the ablation of the first layer of DR.

So, if I was going to create such a character, I would actually give them DR 20 (Ablative, -80%; Absorption, +100%; Flexible, -20%; Force Field, +20%) [120]; DR 40 (Ablative, -80%; Flexible, -20%; Force Field, +20%) [40]; Regeneration (Extreme; DR Only, -40%) [90]. The first layer of DR is the absorption layer while the second layer is the non-absorptiob layer. Every turn, the character would regenerate 10 DR, with the second layer regenerating before the first layer. The points from the first layer could heal the character or could be used to improve traits. In order to get full utility from the power though, character would need traits that could be improved.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:52 AM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicorn View Post
This feels like the most straightforward way to model it. Though would need some way to also limit excess damage from the final hit when the DR runs out, as in the fights I've seen so far the final blow never seems to leave any lasting damage; the utsushi gets dispelled, but the user is left unable to fight but otherwise unharmed.
Personally? I'd just say "This is how it works", dust my hands and call it a day... but then I'm becoming less and less enthralled with overly complex powers builds as get older and more and more delighted with ULTIMATE GM POWER GM fiat.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:19 AM   #7
Bicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Personally? I'd just say "This is how it works", dust my hands and call it a day...
Might be the best choice.