Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #31
NineDaysDead
Banned

Default Re: Building Logan (a.k.a. Wolverine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arconom View Post
I thought Unkillable 2 included Injury Tolerance :Unbreakable Bones.
It doesn't include the same mechanical benefits as Injury Tolerance: Unbreakable Bones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arconom View Post
Also if Regen doesn't say that it heals injuries, it should.
Why? Badly named as it is, Regeneration is about healing faster than normal, Regrowth is the trait you want if you want to heal better than normal.

Or do you mean Regeneration should accelerate the healing of lasting crippling Injuries?
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #32
arconom

Since most(?) crippling is due to damage that doesn't sever a fleshy or bony thing, Regen should take care of healing it.
arconom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #33
B9anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Two words: Fastball Special. Partner with a super-strongman to throw you into melee.
He's got two levels of Super Jump. If he threw in a few points in Jumping to get skill-16, he'll have Jump move 7, same as his Basic Move. Any levels he throws on top of that, is just goody doubling of Jump Move though. Providing his own fastball special.

edit: Nevermind, looked at the wrong writeup.

Last edited by B9anders; 09-20-2012 at 03:14 PM.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #34
Edeldhur

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
Claws are a realistic advantage, which works very good for common animals etc. - Wolverine's super power adamantium Claws are much stronger...

You have to think about the enemies, are his weapons good enough?!
Let's say he fights against an armored super with natural DR 50 and HP 25: Normal Claws are useless now...
btw, the cp cost gives you a hint if something is powerful... e.g. "Long Talons (+1d per damage die)" for 11 cp in comparison to a natural DR of 50 for 250 cp.
At least you have to add a very, very good armor divisor if you want to use the normal Claws advantage...

But I'd probably go with Innate Attack (Dual, Melee, Armor Divisor, ...) or Striker as vierasmarius suggested.
edit: After thinking about it again, Striker is really the easiest and most straightforward build. That, combined with Armor Divisor and Dual...
Thank you for the tips OldSam - my question here is that, even though i do know that I can say that his claws are Innate Attacks, the Long Talons look more Logan like. On the other hand, having them as Innate attacks does seem less expensive [as alternate attacks for example] which is something i do not understand since they would be "better" than Talons [unbreakable, etc].

On the other hand, with the claws enhanced with armor divisor 5 and with ST 25 (I haven't done the full math here since I am not sure if the brawling and weapon master add to the damage or not), I would say I am hitting at least for 5d+4 (average 21?) against DR10, which is like 16 damage (if cutting) each hit if they both land - is that not acceptable?

I do not know much about strikers but i am looking into it :D
Edeldhur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #35
Edeldhur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
10 points in Basic Move gets you a 2 hex step, which is always nice. Other than that, hide.

First off, where are you pulling that 16d assumption from? But anyways, don't forget armor. Ultratech body armor is groovy. Actually, if I was you, I'd drop most of that DR, and buy up some plot protection (Luck will mean you barely ever get hit, Danger Sense will protect you from snipers).

Which modifier applies best really depends on the fluff of your character. As to which advantages get it, think about which ones he could potentially lose. The Regeneration and Catfall would be prime targets, the talons not so much.

Weapons Master (Claws) doesn't work. If you want the chi skills, get trained by a master. Unarmed damage takes can only gain from the associated skill (Karate or Brawling). Speaking of which, drop the 2 points in brawling, get your Karate up to 18, and grab some Judo for grappling.
Ye well, as someone already pointed out I did not bother to check, the 16d were indeed from 3rd Ed. My bad, but I guess it is still a good reference point no?

Wouldn't you say that Wolverine is a Weapon Master with his claws? Why would you say it does not work - would it be a rule mechanic?

On the other hand, in the Basic it says that Brawling is the skill to use for talons...

Apologies but I do not master GURPS yet, so I have another question - if for example I want to parry with the claws, I should take Karate for the added bonus right?
Old 09-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #36
Edeldhur

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9anders View Post
The main reason to go with Innate Attack is that Claws can be injured.
THAT is a very good point right there
Old 09-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #37
Edeldhur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes665 View Post
Here is an old unfinished build of Logan that I did few months back.

Claws (Thrusting) (2) (Alternative Attack; Armor Divisor (5); Melee Attack: Dual; Melee Attack: Reach C; ST-Based; Mutant) [9] 4d+1 (5) imp
Claws Swinging (2) (Armor Divisor (5); Melee Attack: Dual; Melee Attack: Reach C,1; ST-Based; Mutant) [36] 6d+2 (5) cut
Well, those claws are definitely less expensive than mine

Mine: 57 points
Yours: 45 points
Old 09-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #38
Edeldhur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
This gives taste and smell rolls of 23, do they need to be that high? You haven't boosted his hearing at all.
You are right - I just wanted that uncanny feeling from Wolverine sense of smell and scent - I guess 20 should cover it ;)

Quote:
If you get crippled, and roll 17-18 your limb will be out of action for 1-6 months. And your eyes have no special protection at all, if they get targeted it's very easy for them to hit the dismemberment threshold and be automatically permanently crippled.
I had misinterpreted the Unbreakable Skeleton - I did not know that I could take lasting injuries lasting 1-6 months... that sucks. So a limb hit over 1/2 HP cripples it right? With unbreakable skeleton I would have to take 20 dam to have an arm crippled correct?

Quote:
You have HT 20, do you need this as well?
You are probably right again, was just I always remember seeing him expel poison out from his system, and since my DR is tough skin I am left more vulnerable to this

Anything that Neutralize and Static would stop working, or that weird-science devices would block or even steal. E.G. Wolverine's Unkillable stems from his regeneration, anything that would shut down his regeneration should probably shut down his Unkillable.

Quote:
If you can spare the points Extended lifespan fits.
Ye, that was clearly Wolverine style - I had it but cut it off for the miserable points :D
Old 09-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #39
Edeldhur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
That's 3e Laser Rifle damage. 2D, ROF 8 and all hits add together to pierce armor and wound.

We need to check that everyone's on the same edition.
Yep. Again, my bad :D
Old 09-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #40
B9anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edeldhur View Post
Ye well, as someone already pointed out I did not bother to check, the 16d were indeed from 3rd Ed. My bad, but I guess it is still a good reference point no?

Wouldn't you say that Wolverine is a Weapon Master with his claws? Why would you say it does not work - would it be a rule mechanic?

On the other hand, in the Basic it says that Brawling is the skill to use for talons...

Apologies but I do not master GURPS yet, so I have another question - if for example I want to parry with the claws, I should take Karate for the added bonus right?
You can not be a weapon master with natural weapons. Go for Trained by a Master if you want the unarmed parry and rapid strike penalty reductions. On the plus side, you still get damage bonuses from brawling/karate with claws.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marvel, wolverine