Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
sabanknight

Default Re: Fictional character creation Banestorm(crossover)

It also seems Shep has an omni tool? It's things like this which are probobly iconic to the series, anything like this iconic to the series? Isn't there something to the effect of chip slots or something similar?

As above when I was talking about the vault dweller. Iconic pieces from the series could be the pipboy, powerarmor, cybernetic enhancments(each game offers at least one opportunity). Glaive(spear), Hunting rifle, those rediculous miniguns, plasma gun(just some ofthe more iconic weapons of the series). Stealthboy, stimpacks. If we want to talk ally, dogmeat.

Things like this would be helpful(although maybe a bit more description. I have not played ME so these things would help me immensely. Making a 'best of' list would suffice for me to construct the character sheet.

Funfact fallout SPECIAL was based off gurps
sabanknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabanknight View Post
Funfact fallout SPECIAL was based off gurps
No. Fallout was originally going to use GURPS but something happened (and will forever remain murky at best, I think) and the deal fell through. Interplay went with SPECIAL instead.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #13
Otaku

Just to be clear, what Deadpool are we talking about?

Sounds like the contemporary version, and I freely admit I only know the basics of him. Main problem is the tendency to retcon things in comic books. Earth 616 (mainstream Marvel Universe) Deadpool's actual mutant abilities, for example, were enhanced human strength and reflexes... at least at one time they were. His strength was blatantly super strength, at least for a time. His healing factor has always been an artificial "add on", unless they've retconned Weapon X as merely "awakening" a dormant power. Amongst the many things already mentioned, it apparently makes him Unaging - he's shown up still alive 800 years into one possible future. His powers also are influenced by his mental state.

Depending on which origin you want to run with, he might even be Asgardian (or half Asgardian). His healing factor is supposed to affect his mind... though not the cause of his mental problems, it may have made them worse and either way, he's supposed to be highly resistant to mental attacks because brain cells destroyed or altered by the attack are "healed" to his current default state.

His intelligence is open to speculation; being a High School doesn't directly correlate because High School can be extremely unpleasant and unproductive, whether your IQ is low, average, or high. I am not saying his IQ should not be low (I am undecided), but I'd think there is a better justification - Wade tends to miss some really easy IQ (and related) rolls.

His skill is also something they've retconned; I wasn't there for his first few appearances but I got into the X-Men family of books in the early 90s and stayed with them until the early 2000s. Deadpool relied heavily on his powers to compensate for his (relative) lack of skill compared to most other mercs operating at that level, and specifically his skill with firearms was why he relies on semi-automatic weapons (and he rarely runs out of ammo, despite what should be reasonable). Part of why it is so important he runs his mouth during a fight as well - its a part of his "style".

Speaking of toys, if he has his trademark gadgets, he'll likely have an Image Inducer and personal teleportation device.

Oh, one more thing; as Deadpool isn't actually deluded (he really is a character in fictional media) and both the players and the GM also know this... isn't it not a Delusion as far as GURPS is concerned, either? More like an Odious Personal Habit: Habitually Acknowledges Fourth Wall?
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #14
Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Oh, one more thing; as Deadpool isn't actually deluded (he really is a character in fictional media) and both the players and the GM also know this... isn't it not a Delusion as far as GURPS is concerned, either? More like an Odious Personal Habit: Habitually Acknowledges Fourth Wall?
Note the two paragraphs at the end of the entry in Basic Set discussing the possibility of a Delusion being proved true. As long as the other PCs and the important NPCs think he's crazy, it's still a Delusion.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Note the two paragraphs at the end of the entry in Basic Set discussing the possibility of a Delusion being proved true. As long as the other PCs and the important NPCs think he's crazy, it's still a Delusion.
You shouldn't be able to claim usable meta-game awareness from a disadvantage.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #16
Miles

Delusion is kind of a catchall disadvantage. By default, it has a reaction penalty and a restriction to act based on untrue beliefs attached to it, but it suggests taking out the second part and highlighting the reaction penalty right there in Basic Set, and Horror suggests instances where the character's beliefs are horrible and concretely off-base, but the reaction penalty rarely comes up, as well as False Memories, which have entirely different mechanics.

In the specific case of a character who believes he's in an RPG, I'd use your suggestion of Illuminated if the player wanted to use knowledge of rpg tropes and mechanics in character. Otherwise, it'd be as if he was played by a particularly oblivious PC. He might know that some people are unimportant NPCs, but not which. Or he might be Wrong Genre Savvy.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #17
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
I'll have to take your word for it as I don't have it handy (and may not for some time). Having read it before, my understanding was that there was the possibility of the Delusion being true.

Here we are talking about the certainty of the Delusion being true.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Old 08-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #18
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Having read it before, my understanding was that there was the possibility of the Delusion being true.

Certainty or uncertainty on the player's part is not really a determining factor. The character believes it to be true, but suffers societal disapproval, in the form of reaction penalties, because most people in the setting don't believe it. The player should roleplay the deluded part, and need not be aware of the truth of his character's delusion. It is a possibility only in the sense that the GM decides whether or not a particular delusion will be true, based on what he thinks is best for the game. Such Delusions will be either bought off, or turned into another Disadvantage, when their legitimacy is established.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #19
Dalillama

Quote:
I'll have to take your word for it as I don't have it handy (and may not for some time). Having read it before, my understanding was that there was the possibility of the Delusion being true.

Right, but no one else in the world will believe that it's true, hence Delusion. Illuminated covers the advantages he gets because it really is true.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #20
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Certainty or uncertainty on the player's part is not really a determining factor. The character believes it to be true, but suffers societal disapproval, in the form of reaction penalties, because most people in the setting don't believe it. The player should roleplay the deluded part, and need not be aware of the truth of his character's delusion. It is a possibility only in the sense that the GM decides whether or not a particular delusion will be true, based on what he thinks is best for the game. Such Delusions will be either bought off, or turned into another Disadvantage, when their legitimacy is established.
I repeat... the Delusion is established as reality before the game even begins, at least if the GM plans on keeping Deadpool true to Deadpool. Yes, NPCs (and possibly other PC's characters) will perceive this as a Delusion, but the perception of those in-game characters only matters if the truth is being obfuscated from the relevant PC as well. If no one is sharing character sheets, it doesn't matter if the other players (and/or their characters) are convinced Wade is deluded for believing this; what matters is if it actually is a Delusion or everyone else is Delusional or in denial.

Why wait to have to come up with the replacement? Just give him the relevant Disadvantage (Social Stigma, Reputation, Odious Personal Habit, etc.) now. Note: If I just missed the RAW that clearly states something akin to "Delusion is used for when a specific character has a belief that contradicts the beliefs of the majority NPCs the PCs will interact believes is true, regardless of whatever is actually true." then yeah, I'm wrong; sorry. >_<

Last edited by Otaku; 08-11-2013 at 10:26 PM.

Tags
banestorm, dead space, marvel, mass effect, video games