Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 08-09-2018, 08:12 AM   #21
b-dog

Default Re: Elder Things

I guess my concept of the world is that the spiritual and the material are divided. The spiritual have the Divine, the Infernal and the Fairy. It also has mana which is the residual energy used to form creation from the primordial chaos. The material is divided into order ( the order that the gods used to make Creation) and chaos ( which includes the extra dimensional order that the Elder Things have shaped chaos with). Order and chaos are the material counter parts to spiritual good and evil.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:17 AM   #22
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbower View Post
It worked for Zeus.
It's worked for nearly every pantheon of god-equivalents against precursor titan-equivalents. Maruduk vs. Tiamat as another example.

Mythologies are full of humanoid gods taking out earlier less humanoid embodiments.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:10 AM   #23
Eidoloclast

I have Elder Things use Psi, and be opposed to magic (though not usually capable of creating no mana zones.)

My campaign has cyclical creation (this is not the first world that has been created, and some races like elves and dwarves have traveled through multiple cycles of creation) and the Elder Things are both the residents of past failed/destroyed worlds and the likely future inevitable inheritors of the current world reaching both forward and back in time, space and dimensions to try to snuff out the forces of light, life and magic that continue to evade their ever-expanding tentacular grasp. This is secret, on a Hidden Lore level, but known to, for example, my Shadow Elf PC as a secret of his race.

One way for Elder Things to travel to the world is through space, and one source of meteoric iron is as the outer armor of the shells they wear to survive the void.
Eidoloclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #24
Tom H.

Hey Eidoloclast,

That sounds very creative and expansive. Thanks for posting.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:57 PM   #25
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidoloclast View Post
Elder Things are both the residents of past failed/destroyed worlds and the likely future inevitable inheritors of the current world reaching both forward and back in time, space and dimensions to try to snuff out the forces of light, life and magic that continue to evade their ever-expanding tentacular grasp. This is secret, on a Hidden Lore level, but known to, for example, my Shadow Elf PC as a secret of his race.
I love this. Are the Shadow Elves part of the Elder faction or opposed to it? I could see it working either way, and their description in DF3 leaves multiple possibilities open.

I'm still at the beginning stages of working out some of the cosmology in my game. We've only had a handful of sessions since my post from a few months ago about the Mirror of the Fire Demon. I've since decided that the Mirror is definitely connecting to an Elder Thing, not a fire demon. The Emir, however, thinks he's in league with Shardak, the fire demon. What he doesn't know is that Shardak was, in fact, defeated by the Elder Thing and his knowledge and abilities were absorbed. So the Emir is the pawn of this Thing, unwittingly preparing the world for an Elder incursion. I've inserted evidence to this effect.

Conveniently, one of the key arch-rivals of the party has been Gygga-Khyak, the Dark Artist. The party thinks he is out to get the mirror to use it for his own demonological purposes. But perhaps his hidden lore has led him to suspect that Shardak is not involved.

It's been a lot of fun so far, and my Elder speaking cleric will enjoy the clues as they unfold.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elder thing