Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-16-2015, 04:28 AM   #1
zoncxs

Default [Sorcery] Post Your Spells Here

As the title says, lets see if we can have a list going for others to use and abuse. I'll start it off with a few:

Arctic Stream

Keywords: Jet, Obvious.
Full Cost: 11 points/level.
Casting Roll: None. Use Innate Attack (Beam) to hit.
Range: 10 yards.
Duration: Instantaneous.

I stream of freezing air shoots out of your hand which can strike any target up to 10 yards away without range or speed penalties. It can not be blocked or parried, only dodged. If the target takes damage they must roll vs HT at -1 per 2 points suffered, failure "freezes" them in place for (20 - HT) minutes. Damage suffered from this attack can only be recovered by getting warmth.

Statistics: Fatigue Attack (Increased Range 1/2D, ×2, +5%; jet, +0%; Freezing, +20%; Sorcery, -15%) [11/level]

Annihilating Weapon

Keywords: Weapon Buff.
Full Cost: 36 points
Casting Roll: None. Use Innate Attack (Gaze) to aim.
Range: 100 yards.
Duration: Three minutes.

The weapon enhanced gains the destructive enhancement for parrying purposes. Roll its damage normally and apply it to the parrying weapon or body part.

Statistics: Affliction 1 (HT; Accessibility, Only on weapons, ‑20%; Advantage, Annihilating Weapon, +260%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Increased 1/2D, 10¥, +15%; No Signature, +20%; Sorcery, ‑15%) [36].

Last edited by zoncxs; 09-23-2015 at 09:25 AM.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:31 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: [Sorcery] Post Your Spells Here

I've worked on converting the Swedish Magic Box to Sorcery. So far I've converted the school of Animism (basically, druidic magic), Demonology (very much a work in progress), Universal Magic and Elementalism. Ivalero has graciously slogged through this and corrected some of the more egregious errors, but doubtless many persist.

Now, I have these as PDFs but I don't know how to upload them to the forum. Can someone more knowledgeable than me help me?

I've incorporated a number of house rules in this, most notably that Perception and Will are their own attributes, separate from IQ.

P.S. The company that owns the IP for the Magic Box has made it publicly available on their homepage, here. DS.

Last edited by Anders; 09-16-2015 at 07:51 AM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:21 AM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Now, I have these as PDFs but I don't know how to upload them to the forum. Can someone more knowledgeable than me help me?
The only files you can upload to the forum server are avatars, as best I understand it. You need to put them on some other server and post links.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
Anders

Animism (Druid-type spells)

Last edited by Anders; 09-21-2015 at 04:00 AM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:26 AM   #5
johndallman
Night Watchman

Works for me.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:34 AM   #6
Anders

Now, be gentle. I've never done this before.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:29 AM   #7
johndallman
Night Watchman

Some detection spells and improvisations, inspired by things that have been useful in a Magic-as Powers campaign:

The basic Detect Magic is Detect (Magic; Sorcery, -15%; Touch-or Vision-Based, -15%) [7]. That's a small known spell, but a bit big for junior sorcerers to easily improvise. Here's an easier improvised version:

Detect (Magic; Sorcery -15%, Immediate Preparation Required (1 minute) -30%, Requires Concentrate -15%, Touch only -20%) [2]

If you don't have time for that, and just want to know if there's magic around here somewhere:

Detect (Magic; Sorcery -15%, Requires Concentrate -15%, Vague -50%) [2]

A better improvised version, that doesn't require touching things, and doesn't require concentration:

Detect (Magic; Sorcery -15%, Immediate Preparation Required (1 minute) -30%, Touch- or Vision-based -15%) [4]

A couple of spells for a magician who's good at detection:

Detect (Magic; Sorcery -15%, Precise +100%; Reliable +3, +15%; Long-Distance Range Modifiers +50%, Analysing +100%) [35]

What is this Thing? Psychometry (Sorcery -15%, Sensitive +30%, Directed +50%; Immersive +100%; Touch- or Vision-based -15%) [50]
Old 09-16-2015, 10:49 AM   #8
zoncxs

Lightning Storm

Keywords: Area (Fixed), Obvious.
Full Cost: 18 points/level
Casting Roll: None. Use Attack Maneuver
Range: none.
Duration: Instantaneous.

You call forth a small storm cloud that shoots out lighting from overhead down onto the area around you. Anyone within the area (4 yard radius centered on you) may get hit. Metallic armor counts as DR 1 against this attack, but nonmetallic armor protects normally. Targets stuck by this attack must make an HT roll, at -1 per 2 points of penetrating damage, or be physically stunned. On subsequent turns, they can roll HT to recover. Lightning behaves unpredictably around conductors. The Storm last 10 seconds.

Statistics: Burning Attack 1d (Area Effect, 4 yards, +100%; Bombardment, skill 12, -10%; Environmental, Air, -5%; Emanation, -20%; Nuisance Effect, Exploitable hole in center and Behaves erratically around conductors, -10%; Overhead, +30%; Persistent, +40%; Side Effect, Stunning, +50%; Surge, Arcing, +100%; Sorcery, -15%) [18/level].

Lingering flame

Keywords: Missile, Obvious.
Full Cost: 8.5 points/level.
Casting Roll: None. Use Innate Attack (Projectile) to hit.
Range: 10 yards.
Duration: Delayed Trigger, Instantaneous.

An explosive fireball that floats in place until someone comes within 1 yard of it, then it explodes covering a 2 yard radius. It explodes by itself after 5 seconds. It has a 2 second delay after casting before it can explode.

Statistics: Burning Attack (Area Effect, 2 yards, +50%; Delay, 2 seconds, +0%; Increased 1/2D x10, +15%; Reduced Range 1/10, -30%; Triggered Delay, someone comes within 1 yard of the center or 5 seconds pass, +50%; Sorcery, -15%) [8.5/level].

Last edited by zoncxs; 09-17-2015 at 12:05 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:05 PM   #9
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by abe ray View Post
don't forget what items that the spells could be enchanted into as well folks!
That would be up to the GM, anything can be enchanted (minus things that don't track damage) as long as the inherent value is high enough.

I really like my Lingering flame, I could just picture the Sorcerer littering the field with floating balls of fire that then goes off almost every second. A more powerful version would remove the delays and have them floating like a mine until someone comes close!
Old 09-16-2015, 02:09 PM   #10
Anders

Remember, each spell costs 1 FP, so littering the field will be expensive.

We need a Powerstone spell.

Tags
magic, magic as powers, powers, sorcery