Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
Ragabash Moon

Default Acceleration for a custom car?

Okay, so I am trying to create the Audi R8 Coupe 5.2 FSI Quattro for GURPS.

Acceleration is 0-60 in 3.7 seconds
Top Speed is 198mph.

So the speed is easy, I'm rounding it up to 200mph and then dividing in half, opposite of what the book says.

But, it doesn't quite say how to convert acceleration to mph... 4 seconds, so is that a move of 15 then? Just divide the acceleration by the 4 seconds that the car takes, or do you double it too, so that the Audi has an Acceleration of 30?

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Acceleration for a custom car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragabash Moon View Post
Okay, so I am trying to create the Audi R8 Coupe 5.2 FSI Quattro for GURPS.

Acceleration is 0-60 in 3.7 seconds
Top Speed is 198mph.

So the speed is easy, I'm rounding it up to 200mph and then dividing in half, opposite of what the book says.

But, it doesn't quite say how to convert acceleration to mph... 4 seconds, so is that a move of 15 then? Just divide the acceleration by the 4 seconds that the car takes, or do you double it too, so that the Audi has an Acceleration of 30?
The typical rule is you can accelerate your Move in yards/second each second, so Move 7.5 and enough Enhanced Move to hit a total ground move of 100 works out well. This requires increasing your ground move by 6.66x, which is 2.74 doublings. At 20 points per doubling, a 200mph top speed would cost 55 points from Move 7.5.

Last edited by DouglasCole; 10-26-2014 at 03:30 PM.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
The typical rule is you can accelerate your Move in mph each second, so Move 15 and enough Enhanced Move to hit a total ground move of 100 works out well. This requires increasing your ground move by 6.66x, which is 2.74 doublings. At 20 points per doubling, a 200mph top speed would cost 55 points from Move 15.
Okay, let me clarify... I'm not making the car as a character, I am just needing to know how to covert a car's 0-60 stat to GURPS Move for that first number.

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Okay, let me clarify... I'm not making the car as a character, I am just needing to know how to covert a car's 0-60 stat to GURPS Move for that first number.
Move is top landspeed in mph. Divide that by half (round up) to determine it's move. Acceleration is the number of seconds it takes to get from 0 to 60. So a V6 2014 Chevy Impala goes 0 to 60 in 7 seconds and has a top speed of 155. So that's a Move of 4/78.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #5
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Yeah, as Ghostdancer said, it's basically 30 yds/sec divided by it's time in seconds. So Move 8 for a 3.7s 0-60 time.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #6
Phantasm

For converting RL stats to a GURPS stat line, I think you're on the right track for reverse-engineering it. You have the final numbers, and the rest of the equation to get there is in Campaigns. I think, for this particular car, Move 15/100 (or 14/99 if not rounding in any point) is about the right numbers, though overall acceleration is probably slightly lower.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:44 PM   #7
Ragabash Moon

Okay, awesome thanks guys! I want it to be as accurate (rounding is ok with me) as possible, so I'll make it 8/100 :)