Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 01-14-2019, 12:17 PM   #1251
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post

Also, hardcopy is available right now for new stuff in the form of Hall of Judgment.
More and more hardcopy also exists here, and a lot of that is Fourth Edition material. We just haven't reached the point where reformatting and uploading every little pdf for availability in print makes economic sense for us. People who don't like that should really be talking to print-on-demand service providers about their requirements and pricing, not to SJ Games about GURPS.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:44 PM   #1252
Refplace

By my count there are about 20 GURPS products in the pipeline. That is by no means dead. Hard copy is suffering for just about all content, from movie rentals, music, magazines, newspapers, books, and games. So GURPS is just going along with that trend. Its regrettable for those who like hard copy but its also good for those on a budget. Digital GURPS are much cheaper than printed, especially hard cover GURPS.

And as Kromm noted, physical copies are available through POD. Mass printing is whats really taking the heat, in this new economy.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #1253
mehrkat

Was the report released for 2018 somewhere. It seems like there was a flurry of activity all of a sudden but it seemed a little early and I couldn't find a post with the report either.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #1254
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrkat View Post
Was the report released for 2018 somewhere. It seems like there was a flurry of activity all of a sudden but it seemed a little early and I couldn't find a post with the report either.
Nope, Phil is still working on it.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:08 PM   #1255
mehrkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Thanks Andrew
Old 01-16-2019, 07:41 AM   #1256
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post

Hard copy is suffering for just about all content [...] Its regrettable for those who like hard copy
Exactly.

I don't empathize with fans of hardcopy; living in a smallish apartment as I do, and with massive hard drives being cheaper than square footage and small enough to take up negligible space, I prefer media and packaging that don't have me stumbling over books, magazines, boxes, cassettes, discs, etc. I do sympathize, though; I just learned that my favorite shampoo was discontinued, and it seems the local liquor commission no longer carries a couple of essential cocktail ingredients, which with their monopoly means I can never again buy them. It's no fun when that sort of thing happens. But the reasons are always economic: production or shipping costs too much, demand is too low, margins are too thin. Part of adult life is accepting that money makes the world go round.

In any event, it isn't as if we've reneged on our promise to work toward POD and reexamine it periodically. We've already gone from "POD isn't viable at this time" to GURPS On Demand. If the latter looks like it can be expanded to a wider range of products at some future date – perhaps because it becomes cheaper for us or allows us to submit our PDFs "as is" instead of requiring us to totally rebuild them – you can be sure there will be another shift. Another part of adult life is learning to wait for the things you want.

Playing games is fun, but creating them isn't fun and games. We have to deal with unfavorable economics, convoluted requirements, and frustrating delays. It's important to keep that in sight. Too often people think that because games are an amusing pastime, those of us who produce them are a bunch of Peter Pan types who get to do whatever we want instead of working at real jobs. But the reality is a lot of 12-hour workdays, overdue contractors, and spin control.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:06 PM   #1257
totalfailure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
3 months later now...any word to pass along?
totalfailure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:14 PM   #1258
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalfailure View Post
3 months later now...any word to pass along?

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:40 PM   #1259
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

The Illuminator announcement is not up yet, but you faithful forumites get the first look here: http://www.sjgames.com/general/stakeholders/
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:35 AM   #1260
pestigor

I'm just glad Gurps is still in existence. Considering the work a Gurps book takes to make them at the quality we've been spoiled on, doesn't make them too viable for the "subscription environment" currently in hobby gaming.

I'm hoping Gurps can stay in (or grow from) a financial place that allows it to keep going.

The issue I run into is I have all the 3e books and 4e books I need for what I want, when something comes out that I like I get it and that makes me think the Gurps crowd is so spread out it's hard to find something that will sell with a lot of people with differing takes on their kind of Gurps that already own large collections of previous books that work almost as well in 4th edition.
pestigor is offline   Reply With Quote