Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:57 PM   #31
CON_Troll

Default Re: Minis Set 3+ Wish List

For those of you who like to scratch-build, here is a quick way to build a train out of 3/8" x 3/4" sticks of balsa wood.

In this photo, you can see how I added a few sci-fi bits and paint for detail and sanded the front end to make it more rounded and "bullet-train-like". While "N" gauge track is not really in scale, it still looks nice.

Last edited by CON_Troll; 12-03-2017 at 04:58 PM. Reason: more thoughts
CON_Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:37 PM   #32
lokke

I'd like to see a Design Your Own Ogre set.

Blank bodies for a Mk.III, IV and V (possibly a VI). No weapons at all.

Several sprues with weapons (main and secondaries, APs, missiles, launchers) and other bits - vulcan arms, Ninja towers, howitzers, CMs and anything else you can think of.

Probably never happen, but still...
lokke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:19 PM   #33
Desert Scribe

You can also use a Micro Machines bullet train (shown on 4-inch hexes with Ogre minis for scale):

http://supergalacticdreadnought.blog...-railroad.html
Old 12-03-2017, 08:46 PM   #34
atomic

Just my $0.02, but I think sets 3 and 4 need to be the NAC units that mirror sets 1 and 2. I actually own metal versions of the Missle Crawlers, but have not had a need to put them together. I think with the proliferation of 3D printers we probably don't need admin buildings, radar or jam screens. Those type of things can be scratch built from scraps and bits.

Last edited by atomic; 12-03-2017 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Removed duplicate word.
atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:58 AM   #35
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
I think with the proliferation of 3D printers we probably don't need admin buildings, radar or jam screens. Those type of things can be scratch built from scraps and bits.
As I see it, there are basically two classes of miniatures for OGRE: the very distinctive Winchell Chung shapes of the classic units, and the more generic ones like trucks and bullet trains.

Given that SJGames isn't a full-time minis producer (and presumably doesn't want to become one), it makes sense to me for them to focus on the distinctive stuff (that nobody else can produce anyway), and for the more generic ones to do some combination of recommending manufacturers (where there's something appropriate out there), and recommending (or even releasing free) designs for 3D printing. I think with the combination of 3d print service networks and the spread of printers in makerspaces, libraries, schools, etc., it's getting to the point where most people in North America and Europe can get stuff like this 3D-printed for reasonable money. (I've posted some of my own prints to Canada and the USA, and it was still a reasonable cost to the recipients.)
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:38 PM   #36
TheAmishStig

I've been really, really torn on this since the thread started. And honestly, during the Set 2 campaign as well.

Full disclosure, count me in as one that would go "Too Many Minis" in a heartbeat for a NAC conventional / PEC Ogres set. The question is when to fit them in the sequence. Do we go for the more niche figures to "complete" the PEC conventionals first, and risk that it doesn't turn the numbers to justify continuing to make sets? Do we go for the more commonly-used figures and hope there's enough people who are willing to stump up the green to not have to rely on different plastic/paint colors?

The reasoning behind both approaches is sound, and it's not something I have a good answer to...so instead I'm gonna fawn a little bit and see if maybe we capture imaginations. I can only imagine how far we can push this.

- Yes, I would like to see PEC defenders finished, and the same for NAC Ogres.
- I would like to see NAC defenders, and PEC Ogres...how cool is it going to be to finally have official art, sculpts, and minis of Pikeman, Legionnaire, and Huscarl? Technically I *could* make them by buying a ton of the black Mk.III and Mk.V and busting out the Green Stuff, but official would be even better.
- I would love for us to keep up the momentum so long SJG decides to expand the universe even further, creating art and sculpts and minis for Nihon conventional units, the boats, and their cybertanks.
- The same can be said for creating art and sculpts and minis for what the AIs behind Nightfall decided were ways to 'improve' on the designs their factories originally made.
- The same can ALSO be said for taking Ogrethulhu from the 'core' units to a 'complete' faction.

I am one of the few, the proud, the nuts enough to look forward to completely, totally, and flatly dwarfing ODE with the pile of stuff I can bring to bear on a poor, unsuspecting convention.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:55 PM   #37
Mack_JB

One thing to keep in mind is who the intended audience is. So far, the marketing of these minis has been to everyone, but note that there has been a consistent statement to the effect that "now you can turn your ODE into a miniatures game".

Folks who are buying minis to pimp out their ODE or 6E, are possibly not the same who are buying minis to use them in games on terrain, though there is a fair bit of overlap. In that regard, buildings, jam screens, strategic objectives, as minis, might be popular with one group, and not with the other. As an example, a reactor sized to fit on an ODE hex would look absolutely silly on terrain, and a reactor that looks good on terrain (something actually worth attacking) would look extremely out of place on an ODE map.

In the end, I've got to trust that SJG knows what they are doing -- but it is really nice that they are asking us for opinions as well.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:18 PM   #38
ColBosch

I am trying to keep the audience in mind, which is why I'm not accepting "go buy from GHQ" or "contact a 3D printer."
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:34 PM   #39
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
One thing to keep in mind is who the intended audience is. So far, the marketing of these minis has been to everyone, but note that there has been a consistent statement to the effect that "now you can turn your ODE into a miniatures game".

[snip]

In the end, I've got to trust that SJG knows what they are doing -- but it is really nice that they are asking us for opinions as well.
Which is one of the reasons I'm so torn. I dove in on Set 1 to turn my O6E from cardboard to plastic, even though I have every intention of diving in on Reinforcements and the ODE Sponsored sheets as well...and then skimmed over Minis Lite and it set off a lightbulb in a big way.

The more I think about it, the more I realize a big part of my itch for NAC units is that I've been proxying for so long in other games that it'd be really nice to not have to for once.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:55 PM   #40
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
I'd like to see the Mark I and II in force. They are _very_ rare sculpts; I've seen them in person only once and the Mark I especially is only good in large numbers.
Going back a bit here, but I just had to share that I snagged an unopened Combine Set 11 on eBay for a VERY reasonable price.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote