Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 09-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
ssveter

Default Damage Resistance again

I need to figure out a way to reflect DR that covers more than one area but not all of them.

For example I am working on a character that wears an flexible armored monocry body stocking. It woudl cover everything except the head. How can I get the GCA to reflect DR that covers multiple locations but not all.

Another thing, I would also like it to layer the armor again in multiple locations without taking DR away from locations that are already armored. such as adding hard shoulder guards and shin guards to the above mentioned bodystocking.

Lastly, is there a way to get GCA to reflect DR given by advantage in the paperdoll and the loadout. My hero could be wearing the body stocking under street clothes when they get ambushed and have the shoulder and shin guards stashed in their Hyundai.

Yes I like techno heroes.
ssveter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: Damage Resistance again

I'm not sure quite what the problem is here - are you having some sort of problem with the existing equipment coverage? If I buy a breastplate and apply it in the Protection pane, it correctly shows DR applied only to the Torso.

Is this custom armor that doesn't have the Location tag populated? THat might be your problem. Have a look at the lower-tech items location() tags - it's a comma-separated list of the locations that receive the bonus from the dr() tag.

Equipping two pieces of armor doesn't "take away" armor from those locations, it lists them separated by + signs (ie 4/2*+5). I cannot replicate this bug. Are you running the latest version?

Currently the only way to generate multiple paper dolls is to set up one configuration of equipped armor, print the page with the paper doll, then set up another configuration of equipped armor, and print that page again.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
ssveter

I'll take a look at the tags and see if that is where my problem lies.

My goal was to have the DR advantage behave like equipped armor. So that it is paid for in character points and I can place various ads/disads on it.

I also checked yesterday to see if I was running 4.0.423 or something and yes I was.

All in all I really appreciate all the input and help, this by far is the best forum I have had the pleasure to communicate with.

Thanks.

PS. I did finally find a skeletal T-rex dorsal view. Thanks for the tip. Now to make up that Wal-parking lot.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
ssveter

OK, I looked at the location tags and there were not any for the power. So I added location tags. There was no result.

The way the partial DR limitation seems to work is it gives a global DR then takes away from the areas that are not to be covered by the partial limitation leaving only one location covered.

What I am trying to do is cover multiple locations except for lets say the head. I cannot get GCA to do this for me no matter what tags I use. What am I missing.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

I do not believe that advantages can currently use the location tag the way that equipment can. This means that you are left with a few, admittedly not quite aesthetically pleasing options. One is to create a separate DR advantage and a corresponding (perhaps Child) Equipment item. The equipment item can carry all of the needed tag and DR information; the advantage carries the point cost.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
ssveter

That's kind of what I thought. It would be good to see a modification of the code for DR that includes multiple locations on the partial limitation in the next update.

Thanks
Scott

Tags
armor, gadgets, gurps 4e, super