Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-18-2012, 02:26 AM   #1
Edeldhur

Default Creating a Super Mage/Cleric

Hello guys,

I am a first time poster here at Steve Jackson Games.

I would like to request your assistance with creating a character for a campaign DMed by a friend of mine - If i am posting in teh wrong forum just let me know and I will move along :D

The campaign is Fantasy themed, however it is a sort of Super Fantasy where we start out with 250 points. I was kinda keen on creating an "old school" caster from the old days of yore and GURPS Magic that would accumulate the classical wizard function with the cleric/healer/buffer role, but as I am told by my more GURPS experienced playing companions, as the character points start to grow the classical magic system just does not cut it, creating extremely unbalanced situations so....

If i understand correctly the idea is to make each spell a separate power, but i am struggling with that for a couple of reasons:

- I do not COMPLETELY master the rules inside out, and the sources seem to be so many I do not know where to start building the spells or chosing the advantages;
- The effects I desire are so varied, ranging for example from a bolt, that can be split to hit multiple opponents or not, whose damage type can be modified [fire, cold, etc] and even if split could have one cold, one energy etc. to the other end of the spectrum where you simply pile conditions (slow, poison, etc.)
- I am reading through the forums and through the books, but if you guys could assist me with some pointers, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any possible feedback.

Cheers

Edeldhur
Edeldhur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:36 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Creating a Super Mage/Cleric

Have you looked at Dungeon Fantasy?

You know you want to. C'mon, you don't need to eat more until payday... :)
Old 08-18-2012, 02:47 AM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edeldhur View Post
but as I am told by my more GURPS experienced playing companions, as the character points start to grow the classical magic system just does not cut it, creating extremely unbalanced situations so....

If i understand correctly the idea is to make each spell a separate power, but i am struggling with that for a couple of reasons:
First, talk to your GM. GURPS has a big toolkit of magic systems and options for them. They are not all balanced against each other, and the idea that you can insist on using one because "it's in the book" will not wash with a GM who doesn't like it. See what he is happy for you to use.

Second, the spell-based magic system is the subject of disagreements. Some people strongly advocate "magic built from powers", but it's a load of work, and regular attempts to crowdsource it don't appear to have succeeded. There's a fairly big list of spells built that way here.

It also seems that you can give the spell-based system more oomph by simply spending more on IQ and Margery. IQ 15 plus Magery 7 gives you a skill of 20 in most spells for one point each, making them quicker to cast and use less energy. You'll also want an energy reserve that recharges very fast so that you can keep casting: use Regeneration for this.

The book of advanced magic systems is GURPS: Thaumatology. There are a lot of systems and options in there; syntactic magic is generally the most powerful, but definitely get GM approval before starting to build a character that uses it.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:48 AM   #4
Edeldhur

Hello Asta,

No, I have heard about those books but never delved into them - I will do so, and I have read that there are many options in there for magic, but aren't the magic related questions treated there somewhat based on the classical GURPS Magic (which I would say my GM is... disallowing, for game balance reasons)

Edeldhur
Old 08-18-2012, 02:51 AM   #5
Edeldhur

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
First, talk to your GM. GURPS has a big toolkit of magic systems and options for them. They are not all balanced against each other, and the idea that you can insist on using one because "it's in the book" will not wash with a GM who doesn't like it. See what he is happy for you to use.

Second, the spell-based magic system is the subject of disagreements. Some people strongly advocate "magic built from powers", but it's a load of work, and regular attempts to crowdsource it don't appear to have succeeded. There's a fairly big list of spells built that way here.

It also seems that you can give the spell-based system more oomph by simply spending more on IQ and Margery. IQ 15 plus Magery 7 gives you a skill of 20 in most spells for one point each, making them quicker to cast and use less energy. You'll also want an energy reserve that recharges very fast so that you can keep casting: use Regeneration for this.

The book of advanced magic systems is GURPS: Thaumatology. There are a lot of systems and options in there; syntactic magic is generally the most powerful, but definitely get GM approval before starting to build a character that uses it.
First of all, thanks for the tips.

As far as checking with the DM, I have done it and the (final?) word is that we will go through the "each spell as a power" method - and that is what got me lost :D

I will go through the list that you linked - it will probably give me a chance to at least create a basic character and tweak it as I go. In that aspect, my GM is really cool - we start as an "evolved" sketch" of our character and then we finish it out as the campaign proceeds.

Edeldhur
Old 08-18-2012, 03:08 AM   #6
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

If you prefer to take the Cleric route, I really recommend GURPS Powers: Divine Favor. It does a lot of hard lifting for you.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:34 AM   #7
Edeldhur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
If you prefer to take the Cleric route, I really recommend GURPS Powers: Divine Favor. It does a lot of hard lifting for you.
Actually, and since this is GURPS and I am the only caster in the group, I was planning in accumulating the 2 roles - both the mage and the cleric ;)

I won't get to be as strong in any of those individual roles but I am hoping I can mix it up in such a way to be fun to play and useful.

Edeldhur
Old 08-18-2012, 04:09 AM   #8
Snaps

I'd go with the following ability from Pg 63 of GURPS Powers.

Modular Abilities: Divine Inspiration

With some of all of the following Limitations to bring the cost down:

-Pact: Code of Honor
-Pact: Disciplines of Faith
-Pact: Fanaticism
-Pact: Honesty
-Pact: Sense of Duty
-Pact: Vow (Like: Never Use Edged Weapons)

By strictly following the rules of your Religion (ie. actually playing a Priest) you can probably get 100 points in modular abilities for less then 100 points. You'd want to break these up into multiple slots.

And keep in mind that they abilities you buy can have limitations too (even the same ones!)
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:02 AM   #9
Edeldhur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
I'd go with the following ability from Pg 63 of GURPS Powers.

Modular Abilities: Divine Inspiration

With some of all of the following Limitations to bring the cost down:

-Pact: Code of Honor
-Pact: Disciplines of Faith
-Pact: Fanaticism
-Pact: Honesty
-Pact: Sense of Duty
-Pact: Vow (Like: Never Use Edged Weapons)

By strictly following the rules of your Religion (ie. actually playing a Priest) you can probably get 100 points in modular abilities for less then 100 points. You'd want to break these up into multiple slots.

And keep in mind that they abilities you buy can have limitations too (even the same ones!)

Great suggestion. I guess I am being somewhat of a victim of being a little ignorant of the overall GURPS Powers rules.

One of my longest running games ever was as a player in a mixed Occult/Cyberpunk/Supers themed campaign but i did not contact much with the actual super powers theme myself since I played a retired army sergeant with bionic implants and psionic powers only, back in the days of the 3rd edition.

I have taken a look at the modular abilities and Pact Limitations you suggested and I think they will fit nicely into the character. Now on to think out the actual type of dogmas followed. I am thinking him out as a mixed "scholar/proactive adventurer" type but i have played so many righteous characters before that this time I want to stray from that mainstream... And still be a good support character.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:05 AM   #10
Edeldhur

Also, keeping in mind I have (only) 250 points, I guess the advantage selection will be more a question of flavor than actually ground breaking options...

Tags
cleric, healer, mage, magic, super