Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 10-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
Gizmobig

Default Balancing super munchkin

I own a version of super munchkin and super munchkin 2. My friends and i play the game a few times a month, and more than half of the time the winner is overpowerd due to some super big bonusses and reaches level 10 before the others even reach level 5 or higher.

I've searched the internet about this and it quite happens to alot of other people to. My question is, it there any way to balance the game more? maybe by the use of house rules? For example, you can only have 4 power cards in play at a time. Or do you think that it ruins the game that way?

Please post your ideas to balance the game if you encountered the same problem.

P.s. sorry for the incorrent spelling and grammar.
Gizmobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
Da Senzai

Default Re: Balancing super munchkin

I know it is not much, but if you play with sleeves, then Throw in the "Monster Enchancer" booster ^_^
Da Senzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
Clipper

It is a bit easier to get super-powered in Super Munchkin than some of the other varieties, but it should only rarely lead to a runaway leader problem. You are ensuring that a player's total sum of Ranks of Powers doesn't exceed his Level, right?
Old 10-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
Gizmobig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
You are ensuring that a player's total sum of Ranks of Powers doesn't exceed his Level, right?
Yeah i'm always hammering on this haha. But most of the time 1 person recieves like 2 or 3 origin cards and then he can power up his munchkin pretty good... i think the powers are one of the main problems.

I was maybe thinking of adding another set and removing the Super munchkin 2 addon.
But i do not know what sets have a bit more difficoult monsters or are good compatible with super munchkin. Maybe star munchkin? It sure sounds fun?
Old 10-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
EpicBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmobig View Post
I own a version of super munchkin and super munchkin 2. My friends and i play the game a few times a month, and more than half of the time the winner is overpowerd due to some super big bonusses and reaches level 10 before the others even reach level 5 or higher.

I've searched the internet about this and it quite happens to alot of other people to. My question is, it there any way to balance the game more? maybe by the use of house rules? For example, you can only have 4 power cards in play at a time. Or do you think that it ruins the game that way?

Please post your ideas to balance the game if you encountered the same problem.

P.s. sorry for the incorrent spelling and grammar.
I own and love Super Munchkin with its expansion. Now with your problem I have seen happen in other forms in all versions of the game with regular groups. My advice...this will sound odd...try changing the seating arrangement. In my groups, certain people always tend to get certain types of cards almost every game. I started shuffling people around and strangely, the problem went away.

As for Super Munchkin in particular, I have never seen anyone get overpowered and take victory so easy, perhaps your group is playing too nice?
Old 10-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #6
Blazinjsin

Try including the Munchkinomicon in these games to encourage bringing the hate, should slow things down a bit lol

Check out my trades ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 🍕
Blazinjsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:24 AM   #7
NeosMagus

Also try some different shuffling techniques.

We found in our group that we'd always get cards in batches - like GUALS and Classes and so on. Took us a while to realize its because people were always discarding them in batches. Like saving up a couple GUALs to play in one go.

We've been trying to be more thorough in our shuffling to counter this.
NeosMagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:19 AM   #8
Pyrate.Munchkin

I have found, in the few months I have been playing, that the more people you have in a game the more likely you are to avoid the over powered issue. Also, I have learned that Munchkin can be a lot more fun if you are mean to everyone from the get go. Don't let your buddies get those first few easy levels hit with monster enhancers and wandering monster from the start. That way they either have lucky rolls to run away or they get hit with bad stuff and lose their gear and maybe some levels.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Just don't be a jerk from the start in Munchkin Apocalypse, or the game may never get off the ground. Apoc, more than most sets, is designed around players being cooperative early on.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
Gizmobig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Just don't be a jerk from the start in Munchkin Apocalypse, or the game may never get off the ground. Apoc, more than most sets, is designed around players being cooperative early on.
Is it maybe a good thing to combine the munchkin apocalypse with supermunchkin?

Or does somebody have good expierience with different (super) munchkin set combos? For the next time il try to play the game with more people to balance it better (hopefully). Usualy we play with 3-4 but next time i try to get more friends together haha

EDIT: Thanks for the reactions anyways, i really appreciate it!

Tags
balance, super, supermunchkin, unbalanced