Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-01-2017, 10:45 PM   #1
Drakyrias

Default Spirit possession/Split Personality

I'm trying to figure out how to properly stat out a character who thanks to exposure to a magical relic now periodically becomes possessed by the spirit/avatar of a god.

Split personality seems to apply on its base, but the spirit has its own abilities and powers outside of those the player will be capable of so a -15pt disadvantage doesn't quite seem to cover it.
Drakyrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:43 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Spirit possession/Split Personality

Altered Form is the classic way to do this as reference in Thaumatology under Spirit Vessel and also in Madness Dosier.
Basically the GM designs or approves a racial template representing the spirit possession.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:04 AM   #3
a humble lich

Another option is to take Split Personality and the limitation Accessibility (only on one side of the split personality) for any powers only the possessed side has.
a humble lich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:55 PM   #4
Drakyrias

Quote:
Originally Posted by a humble lich View Post
Another option is to take Split Personality and the limitation Accessibility (only on one side of the split personality) for any powers only the possessed side has.
This seems to be what I'm envisioning. The possessing spirit is already coming with a were form so don't really want to add another one on top of it just for the personality.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:26 PM   #5
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakyrias View Post
This seems to be what I'm envisioning. The possessing spirit is already coming with a were form so don't really want to add another one on top of it just for the personality.
Why not? If you want a different set of skills for the spirit, this may be the only way about it, actually. On the plus side, this form would be discounted because there's no disguise element, unlike a normal Alternate Form.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:12 PM   #6
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakyrias View Post
I'm trying to figure out how to properly stat out a character who thanks to exposure to a magical relic now periodically becomes possessed by the spirit/avatar of a god.
Which does what? Does he have any control of or memory of what it does? Does the player get to to control the avatar? Is it triggered by stress or by the god's own agenda when it sees an opportunity to put a spoke in another god's wheel or help its own cult?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:28 PM   #7
Drakyrias

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Which does what? Does he have any control of or memory of what it does? Does the player get to to control the avatar? Is it triggered by stress or by the god's own agenda when it sees an opportunity to put a spoke in another god's wheel or help its own cult?
The avatar would have a general sense of the 'host's' memories.

Full bio: The player should eventually encounter a magical artifact that will grant them the ability to shapeshift into a new form. While I want them to have access to the form on their own, it comes with a drawback. The driving will of the avatar spirit trying to exercise it's own influence on the body. When it does, the player will be unaware of what the spirit does, but is aware of its existence. The spirit will have control of the players abilities plus a fraction of its own, with its own greater agenda separate from the players.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:05 PM   #8
Anthony

It sounds like changing form is voluntary, not involuntary. In that case it's a limitation/disadvantage on the alternate form.

I would probably just add a list of disadvantages representing the spirit's goals to the alternate form. It might be easiest to just give it a Duty.

Tags
3rd edition, shape shifting, spirits