Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-08-2015, 06:42 PM   #11
mr beer

Default Re: Super Powered Equipments that Grants Super Powers

Hi OP, re. post 8, I think others have answered these questions now. FWIW, I agree with others that the ring being Invisible is much better handled as a discount to Can Be Stolen, rather than a Perk as I had originally suggested.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:25 PM   #12
Shishiwashi

You all have been surprisingly fast and eficient in your assistance. Again, I thank you all for all that. I know now how to deal with those deviant customized Equipments thanks to you.

Now, down to business, the reason I started this whole thread was because I was thinking of using those Powered Equipments as the core of a new game world. There would be helpful Equipments (such as the Strength granting ring), but cursed Equipments as well. And one of those cursed Equipments was giving me this whole headache.

This cursed Equipment would be a Mask that would grant Advantages to the user, but also the Disadvantage Cursed (which we all know, sucks a lot) while he wears it. But its main feature would be the Ability to "be always there".

By being "always there", I mean that cursed doll that always reapears in a children's room is horror movies, after they were thrown away, burned down and whatsoever. They are always there, doesn't matter what you do. They always return to haunt you, by just "being there".

I was trying to achieve it by adding the Advantage "Warp" to the Mask, with some limitations (only towards its "cursed target", only when nobody is watching, and so on, but it would have to be flawless (always work, always find the target, never wanders to somewhere else and so on) and the Warp Advantage is not quite "Flawless". Also, it requires an IQ roll, and the Mask doesn't have any IQ.

If this was just an in-game item, I would just make it work the way I like without being too picky with the details. But the problem is that a player will have this Mask at the beggining of the game. So I have to figure all the details now.

Another feature would be the ability to stick itself to the wearer's face for a fixed amount of time (so the wearer wouldn't be able to remove the mask for, let's say, 24 hours). I searched a little and didn't find any Advantage or Disadvantage that would help me achieve that. If any of you have a clue of how to proceed, I would be thankful.

Again, you have already helped me a lot and I feel like I'm much closer to my goal than I was before. Now there are just some pebbles in my way.

Last edited by Shishiwashi; 04-08-2015 at 07:26 PM. Reason: mispelling
Shishiwashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:04 PM   #13
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shishiwashi View Post
This cursed Equipment would be a Mask that would grant Advantages to the user, but also the Disadvantage Cursed (which we all know, sucks a lot) while he wears it. But its main feature would be the Ability to "be always there".
If you can't get rid of it, it's more of a feature of the character. You just buy fewer (or no) gadget limitations.

Quote:
Another feature would be the ability to stick itself to the wearer's face for a fixed amount of time (so the wearer wouldn't be able to remove the mask for, let's say, 24 hours). I searched a little and didn't find any Advantage or Disadvantage that would help me achieve that. If any of you have a clue of how to proceed, I would be thankful.
Powers has limitations for time with recharge periods in between.

You might also look at Dominance and Infectious Attack for accidentally transmitting templates. It doesn't exactly apply to the mask example, but it might give you other ideas about unwanted transmission.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:03 PM   #14
Gef

Hi Shishiwashi,

As I understand it, your campaign centers around powerful artifacts beyond the ken of mortal man, interfering with his destiny. Kingdoms will rise and fall because of them. It reminds me of Fred Saberhagen's Book of Swords (a pretty good read, if you can find it).

GURPS is a toolkit, and I'd be reaching for different tools. I wouldn't even try to stat the artefacts in game terms! Instead, I'd require players to make a "normal" character, prior to their exposure to the artifacts, and I'd probably set the point limit around 200. Furthermore, I'd recommend they reserve 5, 10, or 15 points for a secret advantage, BUT if they need just a few more points, I'd allow them instead to take -5, -10, or -15 in a secret disadvantage.

The secret (dis)advantage is Destiny, and in this case it would guide me to what artifact they will encounter and have the opportunity to wield. A 15pt positive destiny guarantees that at some point in the campaign, and perhaps for a long part of the campaign, they'll wield one of the best ones.

Also, I'd introduce 3 skills in the campaign:

Expert, specialized for the artifacts, covering info that is public about them.

Hidden Lore, a separate specialty for each artifact (or group of minor artifacts). Probably, each Lore skill is proprietary to a secret society.

Weird Science, though I might rename it, the skill needed to attune the artifacts or otherwise get them to work, and I'd allow a default to Hidden Lore but only for the artifact it covers.

Good luck,

GEF

Last edited by Gef; 04-09-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:31 PM   #15
GodBeastX

Thinking out of the box, why not have people pay for modular abilities that has a requirement of super tech being worn?

Then instead of paying points for the ability, you already have a point pool. Maybe something about how it activates with the physiology makes it have lesser or greater effects (Needing more points in modular abilities).

Of course, you get it cheaper because of the limitations of the tech such as "Breakable, can be stolen, etc".
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:42 PM   #16
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
Thinking out of the box, why not have people pay for modular abilities that has a requirement of super tech being worn?
That would be the box around post #5 :)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equipment, gadgets, gear, super, supers