Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-05-2018, 02:16 PM   #1
Jeminai

Default Turning Arrows

Bcause my PCs playing Heroic Archers want to know; How does one model this in GURPS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc_z4a00cCQ
Old 05-05-2018, 05:35 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Turning Arrows

Archery art skill?
Old 05-05-2018, 05:42 PM   #3
Jeminai

I guess what I am looking for is rules (including the types of penalties) to hit target around corners or on the other side of an ally.

Because, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the heroic archer is going to want to plant an arrow in the face of an orc on the other side of his buddy, just to steal the kill.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:58 PM   #4
mlangsdorf

Arching or banking shot Imbuement is my preferred solution. Imbue 2 (two skills only -60%) is only 8 points, plus a pair of DX/VH skills.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:39 PM   #5
Anaraxes

Imbuements for shooting around corners. That's pure magic; no amount of heroic skill will get an arrow to turn 90 degrees in flight after you let go.

If you don't want to deal with Imbuements, then maybe you can talk yourself into a weird bit of mix-and-match, and allow the player to buy the Overhead Enhancement for his Heroic Archer Advantage. Normally that's not a fit -- it's for Innate Attacks, not just any old ability -- but taking the mechanics fairly literally would let the arrows avoid cover (like corners or walls), which in theory should also let them avoid pesky PCs in the way as well -- though that's not explicitly listed as a benefit for the Enhancement.

For shooting someone on the other side of a foe, all you really need is enough skill to soak the -4 penalty for someone being in the way. A Heroic Archer planting arrows in enemies' eyeslits can probably do this without any special effort. Just another way to look cool by making a difficult shot look routine. The player or GM can narrate it to make it sound more suspenseful and dramatic, if you need more punch.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:57 PM   #6
mlangsdorf

The overhead enhancement lets your attack ignore cover between you and your target that is not overhead. People between you and your target are cover and can be ignored by attacks with the overhead enhancement. That's how the Arching shot Imbuement, for instance, works. But that's just a specific case of the overhead enhancement.

You can't apply overhead to your Heroic Archer ability, but you can add it to the virtual impaling Innate Attack that is your bow attack. Power-ups: Enhancements has the rules for doing that and it's usually fairly cheap.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:07 AM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Archery art skill?
It's worse than that...

Lars is using a 20-30 pound pull bow, so like ST 6ish (this is so the arrow moves slower, so it has time to curve in the air), and the arrows barely penetrate the foam targets. The shot is probably at -10.

These shots work on the same principle as the Archer's Paradox.

If a PC wanted to do this sort of trick shot at full ST and damage I'd allow it at -10 for Heroic Archers, -20 for anyone else. The first time they pull this in combat it would count as a 'Dirty Trick' and deny the target their defense, thereafter it wouldn't.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:36 AM   #8
seycyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminai View Post
Bcause my PCs playing Heroic Archers want to know; How does one model this in GURPS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc_z4a00cCQ
Performance and acting with a heavy dose of charlatanry.
seycyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:34 AM   #9
RyanW

Perk: Trick shots with no combat benefit
One of:
Delusion: These techniques were actually used in combat.
Odious Personal Habit: Internet Troll.
This guy shows up from time to time claiming to have unique knowledge of how ancient archery works, and demonstrates it in ways that anyone who knows what he is talking about can tell would not work with any bow with a militarily useful draw weight.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:04 PM   #10
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by seycyrus View Post
Performance and acting with a heavy dose of charlatanry.
And I thought I was being harsh on Lars... :P
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote