Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 11-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Niru

Default Munchkin or munchkin quest

Hello everybody

I was recently introduced to munchkin and I am very interested in playing! But my question is can I play munchkin quest with out ever playing the original munchkin? I feel like I like the idea of having a random game board... I understand that the game is played differently but would it be to much of a learning curve if I've never played the original?

Thanks in advanced
Niru
Niru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Munchkin or munchkin quest

I would encourage you to start with the card game.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Blazinjsin

You should probably start with the card game, but bear in mind there are alot of differences when you switch to Quest. Quest will take much longer to play on average than the card game, so alot of people on here don't usually prefer that one. Personally, I love them both.

Here's the thread with differences between the two:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=47443
Blazinjsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
Niru

Okay i guess I'll start with the original :( lol I called my local GameStore and they have the munchkins deluxe for $29.99 what is the difference? And should I get any expansion packs while I'm at it? What do the expansion packs really add besides being able to have more players?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
bonetm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niru View Post
Okay i guess I'll start with the original :( lol I called my local GameStore and they have the munchkins deluxe for $29.99 what is the difference? And should I get any expansion packs while I'm at it? What do the expansion packs really add besides being able to have more players?
The Deluxe edition comes with a board to keep track of player's Level, Munchkin Pawns and some cards to keep track of each player current sex. It's worth the extra 5 dolars, surely. The box is also bigger.

The expansions don't allow for more players, they just add cards. More cards mean more crazyness, and more fun. They are not mandatory, but I particularly like Munchkin 2 to "fix" some of the situations from the core game.
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
Niru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonetm View Post
The Deluxe edition comes with a board to keep track of player's Level, Munchkin Pawns and some cards to keep track of each player current sex. It's worth the extra 5 dolars, surely. The box is also bigger.

The expansions don't allow for more players, they just add cards. More cards mean more crazyness, and more fun. They are not mandatory, but I particularly like Munchkin 2 to "fix" some of the situations from the core game.
Ok sweet how much do the expansion slots normally run? Anybody else have any suggestion on an expansion that you guys would think is worth while?