Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-04-2018, 05:58 AM   #1
larsdangly

Default October date for PDF?

I recently noticed that the pdf-only kickstarter package lists the estimated delivery date as October. Is that really the expectation? If so, presumably all the hard-copy backers of the Legacy boxed set also get that pdf then?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:37 AM   #2
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: October date for PDF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I recently noticed that the pdf-only kickstarter package lists the estimated delivery date as October. Is that really the expectation? If so, presumably all the hard-copy backers of the Legacy boxed set also get that pdf then?
Yes, we're planning to deliver the Legacy Edition PDFs in October. And everyone who is receiving the PDF as part of their rewards will get the PDFs at the same time. We'll be releasing these through Warehouse 23.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:57 AM   #3
CardDiceian

I'm struggling to access my Warehouse 23 account.
I may have to create a new one.
CardDiceian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:13 AM   #4
larsdangly

Boom, baby! That is very exciting. That means I'll probably be able to get my Cidri setting material into an updated and sharable form this fall, when I thought it would have to wait till next spring.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:42 AM   #5
Jim Kane
Banned

The other benefit to the October timing being employed with regard to the PDF will be the nearly 2000 (as of the time of this writing) proof-reading pairs of eyes, who will undoubtedly be providing immediate feedback and reports to the staff, via this forum, well before the final proofs are okayed for hard-copy publication.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:44 AM   #6
JLV

"Good news everyone!" ;-)

I can hardly wait!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:09 AM   #7
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
The other benefit to the October timing being employed with regard to the PDF will be the nearly 2000 (as of the time of this writing) proof-reading pairs of eyes, who will undoubtedly be providing immediate feedback and reports to the staff, via this forum, well before the final proofs are okayed for hard-copy publication.
There will be about a one week window for any (relevant) notices of errors to have an impact on the printed game. And, to kill any rumors or dreams now, only true errors will be addressed at the time. Opinions, house rules, and personal preferences/requests will be disregarded.

We understand many players have their own wants and personal house rules. Those are fine. The final days before sending a game to print is _not_ the time when we will even consider such comments. A bunch of comments posted that are _clearly_ mostly "I like this instead of that" will not get our attention.

I hate to be the jerk in the room, but I refuse to let anyone think that they will have weeks and weeks to try and argue why their personal preference is the way things must be. There will be no time for such discussions when the PDFs are sent out.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:26 AM   #8
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
I hate to be the jerk in the room, but I refuse to let anyone think that they will have weeks and weeks to try and argue why their personal preference is the way things must be. There will be no time for such discussions when the PDFs are sent out.
You aren't being a jerk, you are setting expectations. Nothing wrong with that. :-)
Old 08-04-2018, 11:27 AM   #9
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Phil puts it bluntly but accurately.

I will do everything I can to speed the release of the initial PDF in order to get that 2,000++ pairs of eyes on it. And I will clear my calendar in order to have as much time as possible to evaluate comments. But we will mainly be looking for honest-to-gosh errata - typos, broken sentences, missing sections (hard to see!) and inconsistencies and broken examples (the bane of any big update). Comments of "I just don't understand this" ARE admissible . . . but at that stage if I think you SHOULD have understood it, changes will be minimal - layout will already be done.

Oh, this question will come up, so I will answer it now. If we make significant changes after the release of the October PDF, we'll send it out again (or parts of it) so your PDF matches your game material as closely as possible. In the unlikely event that all I do is fix a few trivial typos and punctuation, we may not send out new PDFs.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:49 PM   #10
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Not sure what definition of *proof-reading* includes the act of petitioning for rules-alterations; and even more mystified why it is being brought forth in response to my post - which is specifically limited to the subject of: proof-reading.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote