Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 01-18-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
milord

Default Strategies

Wanna suggest some gameplay strategies? Here are a few:

1. Don't enhance monsters if the main player has an adjacent munchkin to ask for help.
2. Reduce a munchkin's movement as early as possible.
3. Use movement abilities that don't require Move (such as using a Blink potion) to cover ground faster.
4. Prioritize searching for loot in the early game to acquire enough treasure to be competitive. Then prioritize to exploring new rooms for more DxM cards during mid- and late-game.
5. If a room is not 'good' for your Race or Class (that is, if it does not have a green icon), then do not make it a high priority to search that room if there are good rooms available.
6. Never help the highest-level player.
7. Defeat munchkins earlier than the Boss fight--that is, don't save up all your DxMs for the Boss. If they die or suffer a lot of Bad Stuff early on, you'll pull ahead of the leveling competition quickly.
8. Stop munchkins from defeating monsters with lots of treasure--use items to pull the monsters toward or away from you so they leave the room, or dispel them, etc.
9. Use Bermuda Triangle to get rid of monsters in your way, or remove a room that is 'bad' for you or 'good' for someone else.
10. Warrior is better for late-game than Wizard. Thief is of little value in late-game, especially Boss fights.

Any others? Some will be no-brainers, but they'll still help new players.
And post card-specific strategies too (like #9 above).
milord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:42 AM   #2
zooma

Default Re: Strategies

Quote:
Originally Posted by milord
6. Never help the highest-level player.
Unless you are trying to share a win. The more players in the game, the harder it is to get a solo victory. Treasure can also become scarce in late games, while DxM cards (which keep coming) tend to help monsters more than help Munchkins.

Don't dismiss those shared victories!
zooma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
munchkininpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooma
Unless you are trying to share a win. The more players in the game, the harder it is to get a solo victory. Treasure can also become scarce in late games, while DxM cards (which keep coming) tend to help monsters more than help Munchkins.

Don't dismiss those shared victories!
In your opinion, is a shared victory as "good" (not sure what other term to use....) as a solo win?
munchkininpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
mib2932

A win is a win.

:-D
mib2932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:28 AM   #5
munchkininpink

nice theory to me.....
munchkininpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchkininpink
In your opinion, is a shared victory as "good" (not sure what other term to use....) as a solo win?
The only win that matters is the win everyone gets by the group having a good time.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
zooma

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchkininpink
In a four way game, a shared win is only 33 per cent as good as a solo win. In three way, only 25 per cent as good. Imagine you get a point for each player you beat, but in shared win only half a point for each victor.

That's a very good question though. Not everyone will answers the same, but this is how the game is scored and should be precisely defined.. I recommend playing for micro stakes - pennies and nickels etc. That way everyone is thinking on the same page.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #8
mib2932

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooma
Imagine you get a point for each player you beat, but in shared win only half a point for each victor.
I imagine that I get a point for each win. I've never seen a ranking system that gave points for the number of opponents beaten. There are some where you get points based on the skill level of your opponents, but MQ doesn't have a skill level system.
mib2932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:08 PM   #9
zooma

Quote:
Originally Posted by mib2932
I've never seen a ranking system that gave points for the number of opponents beaten.
I'm basing these points on a gambling system.

If everyone pitches in twelve cents, you win twelve cents per each losing player. But if two of you share a win, that's only six cents each per losing player (and there are one fewer losers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mib2932
I imagine that I get a point for each win.
That would mean winning a three player game is worth the same as winning a six player game. If you do it my way, winning sixty cents is clearly better than winning twenty four.

Last edited by zooma; 01-19-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:38 AM   #10
milord

Hey hey, when did this become a thread on semantics?
Especially if you just do it the way my group does it: "Losers have to clean up the game and shuffle the decks."

:)
milord is offline   Reply With Quote