Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-21-2015, 04:49 AM   #1
Crzyraccoon

Default Creating a very powerful villian

So I got my 600-points Supers infinity timeline campaign going and one character I'm planning to make is a super powerful giant that reck cities and can bring doom to entire timeimes! But I've never made a character of that type of power. My main inspiration to this character is Galactus from the Marvel universe but with a omnic feel of the aspects of life like the many 5-color creatures in Magic the Gathering.

What I got so far is that he comes from a world that was split into 5 timelines at the same time, losing some aspects and all taking place in the same time, in earth years, 72 A.D. and with the time traveller interfering with the time-space jumbo in that planet, the timelines will start to emerge and the big bad will come up and destroy other timelines for reasons I have not thought up yet.

I plan to spend around 2000 pts (yeah I know it weird that I planned to put a point limit on a npc but I want to have a good feel on the power level and limit myself), but I want to know how to make this character interesting to fight, what non combat encounters he can have, and cool disadvantages.

If you got anything like this, I would love to hear.

No Sense of Humor [-10]
Crzyraccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:10 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Creating a very powerful villian

Does this chap actually destroy timelines, or just smash things up inside them?
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:39 AM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

ST-based builds are ineffecient in gurps at both high point levels and high tech. You may have to spend more than 2000 points, but understand that you are intentionally building a monster, not a hero.

If you look at Monster Hunter's foe stats, you'll see that foes listed as 'a match for a champion' often cost much more. Gurps is priced towards heroes: mobile, versatile units that can fail safely. Monsters tend to have lower DX and skills and higher ST than is point optimal: but they're supposed to.

Also, You might need a power set beyond 'giant', or modern weapons will have a field day with him.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:13 AM   #4
Crzyraccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
ST-based builds are ineffecient in gurps at both high point levels and high tech. You may have to spend more than 2000 points, but understand that you are intentionally building a monster, not a hero.

If you look at Monster Hunter's foe stats, you'll see that foes listed as 'a match for a champion' often cost much more. Gurps is priced towards heroes: mobile, versatile units that can fail safely. Monsters tend to have lower DX and skills and higher ST than is point optimal: but they're supposed to.

Also, You might need a power set beyond 'giant', or modern weapons will have a field day with him.
Quantum phasing could be a reason for a good dodge comes to mind. As for ST and points, this giant will be big enough for being able to buy ST for 1 pt a piece so it should be able to have a high strength but I don't want this monster to just be all brawns, I want him to have cool innate attacks and other cool abilities, while I plan to have him to be stiff and so have low DX, if he have DX skills, they most likely will be high, especially on Innate attack so he can hit dodge heroes.

No Sense of Humor [-10]
Old 07-21-2015, 08:18 AM   #5
Adversary

Couple general ideas:

--whatever mechanism you use for defense, be it ablative DR, or injury tolerance, I'd design it so the pc's smaller attacks are still annoying to your villain. I like the dynamic that, say, Spiderman jumping around and punching Galactus, while not a threat, is still something Galactus is going to take a second to swat away rather than ignore completely.

--Some form of extra actions, whether it's extra attacks, compartmentalized mind, or full Altered Time Rate. Or maybe some ability that has enough levels of reduced time that it can be done as a free action. Even with vastly different power levels, if your party of say 5 PC's has 5 actions to the villain's 1, that can be bad news for your villain.

--Perhaps some kind of allies or minions. Think of the monster in Cloverfield dropping off man-sized 'fleas' that then ran around attacking people. Galactus has also been known to dispatch robots to deal with pesky heroes (he did this in Secret Wars). This gives PC's like the scrappy martial artist, who aren't designed to take on 2000 pt giants, something to do.

--An escape mechanism. Say if your giant is in trouble, he can ready his Cleaver of Time, cleave a gate, and step through into a different timeline. The first time he does this the heroes won't know what he is doing. Once they've seen it they can game a strategy to keep him from getting away. Disarm him when he draws the Cleaver perhaps, or prevent him from stepping through the Gate. Because his action takes steps to complete (he doesn't just warp away instantly) it can be countered. So the PC's, to beat him once and for all, need a 2-part strategy: a way to beat him down, and a way to stop him from getting away.
Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:11 AM   #6
Donny Brook

There's enough points and concept here to really lay on the defensive advantages. Supernatural Durability [150], Insubstantial with a few enhancements [c150], Damage Reduction 10 [250], and Ablative DR [100] will still leave you enough points for world-shaking abilities if you buy carefully.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:30 PM   #7
Crzyraccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adversary View Post
Couple general ideas:

--whatever mechanism you use for defense, be it ablative DR, or injury tolerance, I'd design it so the pc's smaller attacks are still annoying to your villain. I like the dynamic that, say, Spiderman jumping around and punching Galactus, while not a threat, is still something Galactus is going to take a second to swat away rather than ignore completely.

--Some form of extra actions, whether it's extra attacks, compartmentalized mind, or full Altered Time Rate. Or maybe some ability that has enough levels of reduced time that it can be done as a free action. Even with vastly different power levels, if your party of say 5 PC's has 5 actions to the villain's 1, that can be bad news for your villain.

--Perhaps some kind of allies or minions. Think of the monster in Cloverfield dropping off man-sized 'fleas' that then ran around attacking people. Galactus has also been known to dispatch robots to deal with pesky heroes (he did this in Secret Wars). This gives PC's like the scrappy martial artist, who aren't designed to take on 2000 pt giants, something to do.

--An escape mechanism. Say if your giant is in trouble, he can ready his Cleaver of Time, cleave a gate, and step through into a different timeline. The first time he does this the heroes won't know what he is doing. Once they've seen it they can game a strategy to keep him from getting away. Disarm him when he draws the Cleaver perhaps, or prevent him from stepping through the Gate. Because his action takes steps to complete (he doesn't just warp away instantly) it can be countered. So the PC's, to beat him once and for all, need a 2-part strategy: a way to beat him down, and a way to stop him from getting away.
I really love your last one. As for allies, Galactus also had his heralds.

No Sense of Humor [-10]
Old 07-21-2015, 05:51 PM   #8
Phantasm

This is why I intentionally did not stat Galactus in my Marvel Reboot thread this past year when I could have. How do you stat someone like him and stay away the Worf Effect?

That being said, I agree with all of the above points and add this: Don't worry about point cost.

Injury Tolerance (No Vitals; No Blood; Damage Resistance /XX) will work wonders and go far in reducing the damage he'll take. Be sure and set his HP in the three to four digit range as well, as that will take a while to physically beat him back.

But be sure to give the Big Bad some Dependencies and/or Draining disads, though, particularly if you want him recurring.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:19 PM   #9
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

The greatest villains are always hid behind seven proxies
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:46 PM   #10
Not

If you ask me, a really good villain is one with a trio of lieutenants who do most of the fighting for him.

Tags
supers