Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #11
Buzzardo

Default Re: BGGzilla rules and stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
Buzzardo, I think a tail attack in the hex behind it may be stretching it a bit much. With each hex 1.5 km across that's a pretty long tail :)
I love the big fella, so I give him extra power. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brionl View Post
Let's not overthink it here. Just because he can regenerate by eating a reactor doesn't make him immune to nuclear explosions. People use Nitroglycerin as a medicine, but that doesn't help any when a big wad of it blows up on you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
Good point. Yeah, he wouldn't be immune from nuke damage.
But more of a thing where he takes the physical damage from a Tac-Nuke explosion, but because of his regeneration ability, that damage is healed.
The question is when and how much does he regenerate after taking nuke damage?

...and what about residual radiation from nukes exploding in the same hex as BGGzilla that have missed him? Does he gain any regeneration from that in any way?

"This is OGRE T537gc to OGRE Mdr13z...do not go nuclear! I repeat...no nuclear weapons are to be used on the target! Target regenerates using radiation. Active fire of Mains and Secondary Batteries only."
OGRE Mdr13z replies..."This is like something out of a movie!"
Yup. That's my problem with a nuclear battlefield and a creature like Godzilla; all that radiation heals him while you're trying to kill him. How would an army damage him more quickly than he can regenerate, and how do we express that in a rule that isn't overly fiddly?

By the way, main and secondary batteries do use nuclear shells. If I recall correctly, only infantry and APs don't use nuclear projectiles.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?

Last edited by Buzzardo; 09-21-2014 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Added the note about which weapons use nuclear shells.
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:25 PM   #12
Buzzardo

Default Re: bgg sheet arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Big Green Guy:

Is treated as an Ogre Mk V for most purposes, including movement, but doesn't get stuck in swamps, and can "ram" (mostly a claw attack) every overrun round, not just the first one.

His only ranged weapon is a breath attack that can be fired as a single 6/3 attack or two 3/3 attacks. (Doubled in overruns.) When swarmed in an overrun he can instead use a wide angle breath attack that counts as a ranged spillover vs. everything else in the overrun. I.e. this is a 3 point attack with rolled Ds ignored, X's count as Ds vs. every armor unit and infantry squad that's swarming him, and can be used every round he doesn't use the normal overrun breath attack. (Armor units Ded by this wide angle attack are just disrupted unless already disrupted, even though this is an overrun.) The breath is only lost when he's killed.

He is attacked as Ogre treads and starts with 60 "treads", losing one of his 3 movement points every 20.

Kill it with LGEVs.
I like this version the best so far. If we can work out the regeneration issue, we've got a start.

Once we decide on something, I'll add him to my interactive record sheet, too.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Old 09-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #13
FJCestero

I think we need to re-cast the issue: If we're talking about the Big Green Guy Himself, the rules are real simple: he wins, everyone else loses. Henry's breath weapon is fine, but you don't need to define "tread units" or regeneration or anything like that. Godzilla just moves around the map and destroys anything that doesn't run away fast enough. You treat him as a sort of MacGuffin. Easy.

I think what we're really talking about here is your run-of-the-mill Kaiju, something the combined military forces of the world actually stand a chance against. In this case we can be a lot more creative (an I'm not sure an OGRE derivative of the Big Green Guy Himself is such a great idea anyways, Godzilla's franchise is waaay bigger than OGRE): flying, EMP pulses, eggs/spawns, acid breaths -- we've all seen all the movies. We just need a "monster generation table": pick a total VP value and then roll D6s until you've spent them all. Or something like that.

Besides, if we're really doing an OGRE port of Godzilla, then we need to consider the rule interactions in a Godzilla vs. Chuck Norris scenario. And that could get messy.

Also, are we talking the 1998 Godzilla, the 2014 one, or Godzilla Classic?
FJCestero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:07 PM   #14
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJCestero View Post
I think we need to re-cast the issue: If we're talking about the Big Green Guy Himself, the rules are real simple: he wins, everyone else loses. Henry's breath weapon is fine, but you don't need to define "tread units" or regeneration or anything like that. Godzilla just moves around the map and destroys anything that doesn't run away fast enough. You treat him as a sort of MacGuffin. Easy.
True enough. Barring some kind of gimmick (ye olde oxygen destroyer), the best anyone does is drive him away for a while.
Quote:
I've been thinking of the original Raymond Burr Godzilla.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:09 PM   #15
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
Yup. That's my problem with a nuclear battlefield and a creature like Godzilla; all that radiation heals him while you're trying to kill him. How would an army damage him more quickly than he can regenerate, and how do we express that in a rule that isn't overly fiddly?

By the way, main and secondary batteries do use nuclear shells. If I recall correctly, only infantry and APs don't use nuclear projectiles.
My bad...that's embarrassing. They use SATNUC rounds. Page 91 GURPS OGRE.

Quote:
Agreed...it really can't be the one from the movies.

Quote:
I think what we're really talking about here is your run-of-the-mill Kaiju, something the combined military forces of the world actually stand a chance against. In this case we can be a lot more creative (an I'm not sure an OGRE derivative of the Big Green Guy Himself is such a great idea anyways, Godzilla's franchise is waaay bigger than OGRE): flying, EMP pulses, eggs/spawns, acid breaths -- we've all seen all the movies.
Quote:
I would say be creative like you suggest...we could take stuff from any of the movies.

Quote:
Besides, if we're really doing an OGRE port of Godzilla, then we need to consider the rule interactions in a Godzilla vs. Chuck Norris scenario. And that could get messy.
XD. What would Chuck's D value be? Would it be so high that no number can account for it???

So I made up a little BGGZILLA short:
http://youtu.be/zP2B5b7M-jg
Old 09-21-2014, 10:33 PM   #16
hcobb

The BGG player draws five cards from a standard shuffled deck. Each turn the player can play these cards for specified one-use special effects. If during his recovery phase he has less than five cards in his hand he draws another one.

Table deleted by accident.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #17
rdm

Here are the rules I use:

The Monster:
60 HP (treat as tread units). Move starts at 4, and drops 1 for each 15 HP destroyed. Size 6.

2 attacks:
9/1 claw/bite attack (cannot be targeted)
9/4 radioactive breath (cannot be targeted)

00000 00000 00000 M3
00000 00000 00000 M2
00000 00000 00000 M1
00000 00000 00000 Monster dies

If the monster gains more than 60 HP, movement does not increase beyond 4, but all additional HP must be eliminated before the base HP (and movement) can be affected. The monster overruns infantry as per an Ogre, and can ram armour without taking damage.

Craters can be entered by the Monster at a cost of 2MP.

The Monster moves as per an Ogre in all other respects.

The Monster can battle any single adjacent unit while in the water.

The Monster starts immune to one of infantry weapons, tank and artillery guns, missiles, lasers, or cruise missiles. The player decides secretly, and reveals this on the first attack by that weapon type.

The Monster gains strength/heals 1 per 5SP worth of buildings destroyed or per squad of infantry destroyed in an overrun or by claws. Town hexes are worth 1SP.

Options:
"It is unstoppable!" - The monster gains a new immunity for every 15HP it acquires and/or regains. Add 30 points of forces to each other side.

"How did it do that?" - The monster has a third attack: Tail swipe - it can displace a single adjacent armour unit on a successful 2:1 attack. That unit is disabled, and moved 1 hex in the direction of the monster's choice. If this results in the unit entering a prohibited terrain, it is destroyed. Add 20 points of forces to each other side

This all results in a monster that is almost unstoppable by a single 'normal' sized force. A double-sized force can take it out fairly easily, provided it does not have many buildings to eat, or the attacking force does not have a good mix of weapons to avoid the immunities. Provided it is not immune to infantry weapons, they are a surprisingly effective way to deal with it, as it only has two attacks - even if they are devastating ones.

The Creature That Ate Sheboygan was a definite inspiration! :)

Last edited by rdm; 09-23-2014 at 03:14 PM.
rdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:52 PM   #18
43Supporter

Um, wasn't there a _Pyramid_ article on this subject?

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:53 PM   #19
woodchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
Um, wasn't there a _Pyramid_ article on this subject?
Pyramid 1 for Godzilla and I think it was 2 or 3 for some more Kaijuigoodness. BGGzilla is an entirely different critter.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:39 PM   #20
GoatRider

The authors of the "Flying McCoys" comic must be on this forum:

http://www.gocomics.com/theflyingmccoys/2014/09/23