Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 01-21-2009, 01:08 AM   #21
RevBob

Default Re: Strategies

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooma
If we keep score differently in our own minds, we aren't really even playing the same game. The competitive factor reduces in meaningfulness. A simple 12 cents each puts us all on the same page!

Incidentally, do you count winning a three way game "as good" as winning a six way game? The later is clearly harder.
Boy, am I the odd one out, or what? Most of the time, when I play Munchkin, I'm not even trying to win. Not that I play stupid or anything, but they're demos; someone else should get the thrill of victory. It's a rule at my events that if I reach level 10 first, I just exit the game, which continues until someone wins. I have no idea what my win/loss record is, because I'm more about seeing a new player pull off a great play. (At a private game, though...watch out! I've got Udder Ridiculousness and I know how to use it!)

As far as three players versus six...in my experience, there's not really that much difference. Some, but not enough to really matter.

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:49 AM   #22
DaleBraun

I used to "play to win and damn the consequences", until I realized how much fun I was missing out. Now I'm more experienced (OLDER), and I play to PLAY. By that, I mean I do my best, but I leave the obnoxious competitiveness at the door. It really came in handy while trying to teach my young children how to play with good sportsmanship: not lording it over the losers, or getting upset during gameplay if it's obvious you're not winning. I love gaming, I love the variety I get with my gaming group (props to Alan Anderchuk, Mike Piazza, Chris Pond & Greg Hetrick), and I love the camaraderie! Who cares in the long run who won or lost? Did you have fun playing? All the good-natured ribbing about how the game is progressing, and who forgot the house rule of "no bean products before game night"...

Competitiveness is for tournaments and politics.

SJGames, thanks for the years of great quirky games that have endured. And kudos on changing the business model of CCGs from foil packs of 5 cards to genre-jumping expansion box sets of 100+ cards!! I swore I'd never get hooked on a CCG like MtG, and yet I have SO many versions of Munchkin, Illuminati, and that "Killer Bunnies who shall not be named" company's product!

As Eddie Murphy said... "You got me with my mouth open"
DaleBraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:39 AM   #23
morleydotes
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBob
Boy, am I the odd one out, or what? Most of the time, when I play Munchkin, I'm not even trying to win. Not that I play stupid or anything, but they're demos; someone else should get the thrill of victory. It's a rule at my events that if I reach level 10 first, I just exit the game, which continues until someone wins. I have no idea what my win/loss record is, because I'm more about seeing a new player pull off a great play. (At a private game, though...watch out! I've got Udder Ridiculousness and I know how to use it!)
No, your not. I just enjoy playing. IF, as a MIB Demoing, I hit level 10, I dump everything and start all over again.

Pat

Last edited by morleydotes; 01-23-2009 at 04:44 AM.
morleydotes is offline   Reply With Quote