Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
hcobb

Default BGGzilla rules and stats

So what sort of powers should we expect?

Breath weapon: Something like a MB?

Two claws and a tail: Overrun only weapons?

Leg "units", starting move 3 or 4?

Stealth, regeneration, sucks power from nuclear reactors, including those on units?

Let me know and I'll add it to the calculator.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
Buzzardo

Default Re: bgg sheet arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
So what sort of powers should we expect?
I love Godzilla, so here goes. :)

(I'm basing my opinions on old movies, by the way. He (or maybe she) seems to have gotten faster and maybe a little stealthy in recent years.
Quote:
Breath weapon: Something like a MB?
His weapon was very powerful. I think it should be stronger than a Main Battery. Let's say attack strength 6. It didn't have much range, though, so range 3 or even 2 would be fine.
Quote:
Two claws and a tail: Overrun only weapons?
Yup, with one note: That tail should be able to sweep, so let it attack everything in the hex behind the monster.
Quote:
Leg "units", starting move 3 or 4?
He was never very fast; the defenders always had plenty of time to set up lines of defense. So 3 will do.
Quote:
Stealth, regeneration, sucks power from nuclear reactors, including those on units?
Stealth? Nope. Hiding was not his thing.

Regeneration? Seems likely, but it is very problematic in the OgreVerse. If he regenerates from radiation, all these nuclear attacks will make him regenerate. A reactor is a birthday cake, and units are just snacks. But without some kind of regeneration, he won't last long, unless he has a huge pile of hit points.
Quote:
Let me know and I'll add it to the calculator.
Thanks, Henry. I appreciate the work involved.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:43 AM   #3
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
He should be able to swim with the Ogres, though.
Oh, he can certainly swim, or just walk on the bottom. He was definitely amphibious.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Old 09-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
woodchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
Oh, he can certainly swim, or just walk on the bottom. He was definitely amphibious.
Wading 2 movement points, can be attacked with any weapons. Swimming M1 must already be in a water hex.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
Wading 2 movement points, can be attacked with any weapons. Swimming M1 must already be in a water hex.
I'm thinking he can wade at normal move, but everything can attack him as usual. That's in shallow water, of course. In deep water, he swims, and only Ogres and marines can attack him. I think he goes deep enough to avoid GEVs. I think he's as fast as ever in the water, so I'd stick with M3 there, too.

Mods: Can we move the monster discussion out to its own topic? I should have done that when I replied to Henry's message. Thanks.

Last edited by Buzzardo; 09-21-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #6
hcobb

Big Green Guy:

Is treated as an Ogre Mk V for most purposes, including movement, but doesn't get stuck in swamps, and can "ram" (mostly a claw attack) every overrun round, not just the first one.

His only ranged weapon is a breath attack that can be fired as a single 6/3 attack or two 3/3 attacks. (Doubled in overruns.) When swarmed in an overrun he can instead use a wide angle breath attack that counts as a ranged spillover vs. everything else in the overrun. I.e. this is a 3 point attack with rolled Ds ignored, X's count as Ds vs. every armor unit and infantry squad that's swarming him, and can be used every round he doesn't use the normal overrun breath attack. (Armor units Ded by this wide angle attack are just disrupted unless already disrupted, even though this is an overrun.) The breath is only lost when he's killed.

He is attacked as Ogre treads and starts with 60 "treads", losing one of his 3 movement points every 20.

Kill it with LGEVs.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #7
Tim Kauffman

...maybe a Move 2...?

This will help make the fact he can regen from Power Plants more plausible since he can't move as fast as a move of 3.

I like the Regeneration thing. This means Infantry and Lasers will work well, and Rams...lol
So, nothings going to be firing any Tac-Nukes or Cruise Missiles at him.
This gives it more of that classic look of masses of Infantry and special weaponry used against him from the movies.

Maybe have his Tail Sweep attack do auto-Disables on any units in the same hex as he is, or roll for them.

How's this for a new attack: Pick up enemy units and throw them.
...and STOMP...the hex gets Cratered in a non-nuclear fashion...Ds count as Xs...lol
Old 09-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #8
atomic

Buzzardo, I think a tail attack in the hex behind it may be stretching it a bit much. With each hex 1.5 km across that's a pretty long tail :)
atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:24 PM   #9
brionl

Default Re: BGGzilla rules and stats

Let's not overthink it here. Just because he can regenerate by eating a reactor doesn't make him immune to nuclear explosions. People use Nitroglycerin as a medicine, but that doesn't help any when a big wad of it blows up on you.
brionl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:13 PM   #10
Tim Kauffman

Default Re: BGGzilla rules and stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by brionl View Post
Let's not overthink it here. Just because he can regenerate by eating a reactor doesn't make him immune to nuclear explosions. People use Nitroglycerin as a medicine, but that doesn't help any when a big wad of it blows up on you.
Good point. Yeah, he wouldn't be immune from nuke damage.
But more of a thing where he takes the physical damage from a Tac-Nuke explosion, but because of his regeneration ability, that damage is healed.
The question is when and how much does he regenerate after taking nuke damage?

...and what about residual radiation from nukes exploding in the same hex as BGGzilla that have missed him? Does he gain any regeneration from that in any way?

"This is OGRE T537gc to OGRE Mdr13z...do not go nuclear! I repeat...no nuclear weapons are to be used on the target! Target regenerates using radiation. Active fire of Mains and Secondary Batteries only."
OGRE Mdr13z replies..."This is like something out of a movie!"