Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Board and Dice Games

Old 10-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
Hanuman47

Default The Stars Are Right - Why play minions?

So far, I have only played this two player, but the game seems to turn into a race to see who can get to ten points first. Since minions are worth zero points, playing them almost always seems like a losing move. Their abilities aren't really worth the loss of a point-earning turn (marginally so with the ghoul and ghast).

We've been playing with a house rule that you can play a minion in addition to another creature (assuming, of course, that the stars are right for both summonings). That helps a little.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
PK

Default Re: The Stars Are Right - Why play minions?

The special abilities that the minions give you are powerful if used right.

The two permanent ones may be the best. Holding an extra card gives you 20% more options than you'd otherwise have each turn. And discarding an extra card makes it much easier to get crap out of your hand that you don't need, which gives you better options.

The discarding minions are somewhat more questionable in value, but I've won the game with a Dhole. I had gotten out two Chaugnar greater servitors and discarded my Dhole to go through all the Chaugnars in the discard pile -- with two bonus stars, I knew there was at least one version of that Great Old One that I could summon. And there was. I've seen Gugs and Tinadaloos used very strategically as well -- almost always for the purpose of getting bonus stars for a Great Old One, of course.

Should you focus on minions? Of course not! But If you can't get anything else out, and can summon a minion, you'd be a fool not to IMO. More options are always better -- and just because they're not worth any points, that doesn't mean they can't get you points indirectly.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
Hanuman47

Right, I get that playing a minion is better than playing nothing at all, and definitely agree that the ghoul and ghast can be pretty useful. However, I have rarely encountered a circumstance in which I was unable to summon a creature that was worth points. However, this could be because I've only played two-player games. It might be harder to summon even lesser servitors in a 3 or 4 player game. The trade minions might also be more useful in such circumstances - more to choose from.

Yeah, I've used Dhole for the same thing - quite helpful in the right circumstance.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
Solelron
Banned

in 3-4 player games, its much harder for the board to be where you want it after everyone has moved.

in 2 players, you can set something up and have a pretty good shot of it still being there next turn.

As PK said though, minions are useful. and swapping servitors for bonus stars that others have just so you can summon the GOO you have in your hand is a great way make a bump.
Solelron is offline   Reply With Quote