Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 01-07-2018, 03:49 AM   #231
JLV

Default Re: December 26, 2017: The Fantasy Trip Returns Home

But it's so easy to do, with a great basis like TFT! A few new weapons, a few different talents... Describe the local village as being arranged along a main street, with boardwalks and a few tumbleweeds blowing around as a brisk wind kicks up the dust in the street and tries to take the PC's hats off, and suddenly you're in the middle of a John Wayne western!

No? Okay, I guess you're right, darn it. ;-)

Last edited by JLV; 01-07-2018 at 04:03 AM.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:33 AM   #232
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I think this is an important statement to consider. I see no compelling reason to use TFT as the basis of a science fiction, western or any other type of game. GURPS is already a very nice multi genre toolbox, I don't think TFT needs to be that as well. I believe this is what will separate the two games on the store shelves.

Please Keep TFT grounded in fantasy.
GURPS is of absolutely no use to me and those like me who want a fairly simple ruleset. I've used the bones of TFT for Sci-Fi and Modern day stuff and it works well with a few adaptions. I'm sure we can expect to see something of that sort in the future, just like Dark City games did with their rules, so don't rule it out.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:00 AM   #233
pyratejohn

Back in the late '70s my expectations were that I'd someday see... The Space Trip: In the Starship...? Forty years later I'd love to see it (and more importantly, fork over my hard earned cash!) as part of the reboot.

The nuts and bolts of this are I expect to see TFT as a Kickstarter. I'm VERY picking about Kickstarters, but if this KS were to include reprints of the original Micros, along with a hardback or boxed set of TFT, and with stretch goals of: dungeon tiles, outdoor tiles, MicroQuest map tiles, heavy cardstock counters or stand-ups, a bestiary, Tollenkar's Lair, a Cidri campaign book, a Space Trip rulebook, and a Western rulebook, I'd be in for $150 or $200.

Last edited by pyratejohn; 01-07-2018 at 06:28 AM.
pyratejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:06 AM   #234
JoeHartley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
Here here. Joe, in particular, has done more to keep TFT alive than anyone. The brainiac TFT list was TFT Central in the early interwebs days. And I think that Joe, Brett, David, the Maverick, etc., should get some kind of shoutout in the rules.
I just happened to have a T1 connection and a server in 1998, and an interest in a relatively obscure set of games. The list will be 20 years old this June!

It's been the great people over the years that have kept the interest alive and the conversation going. And now, here we are!
JoeHartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:35 AM   #235
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHartley View Post
I just happened to have a T1 connection and a server in 1998, and an interest in a relatively obscure set of games. The list will be 20 years old this June!

It's been the great people over the years that have kept the interest alive and the conversation going. And now, here we are!
Hey Joe. Has it really been 20 years? Man, we’re getting old. And grumpy. I just had to tell a bunch of Pathfinder players to get off my lawn.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #236
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
GURPS is of absolutely no use to me and those like me who want a fairly simple ruleset. I've used the bones of TFT for Sci-Fi and Modern day stuff and it works well with a few adaptions. I'm sure we can expect to see something of that sort in the future, just like Dark City games did with their rules, so don't rule it out.
I used TFT as a generic rules set before GURPS was even conceived. I even created a TFT version of Traveller, anticipating GURPS Traveller by about a zillion yahrens. I also ran a TFT version of the Morrow Project several times in the 80s. I wrote a “Swords and Space” TFT variant that envisioned a Dune-like future where armor technology has made guns relatively ineffective, while swords and melee weapons are still effective. Once, my players encountered a dwarf gunfighter from an alternate Old West universe. At least a decade before Deadlands, I’d add.

Indeed, Advanced Melee explicitly endorses other genres by including baseball bats, switchblades and bicycle chains in its weapon equivalents list.

So I respectfully dissent. I think TFT can easily handle other genres and have had considerable fun doing exactly that. There’s a lot to be said for a game that allows you to create a character in a couple of minutes, contains plenty of detail and that has an engaging, simple and fast moving combat system. Those qualities are useful for any genre...except maybe sparkly, angst-ridden vampire genres (excuse me, “vampyre genres”).
Old 01-07-2018, 09:13 AM   #237
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Please remember that only staff are allowed to post images.
Thank You.
/Moderator
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #238
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post
Please remember that only staff are allowed to post images.
Thank You.
/Moderator
A thousand pardons are begged, sir.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:08 AM   #239
JoeHartley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
Hey Joe. Has it really been 20 years? Man, we’re getting old. And grumpy. I just had to tell a bunch of Pathfinder players to get off my lawn.
The list started in June, 1998: https://tft.brainiac.com/archive/9806/threads.html

I was looking to see when the list started, and I found that I'd lost the very first month's worth of posts in a server move, but have recovered most of them from archive.org and have found the first digests in a backup, so I can recreate them.

We might be getting old, but we're still gaming!
JoeHartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:21 AM   #240
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHartley View Post
The list started in June, 1998: https://tft.brainiac.com/archive/9806/threads.html

I was looking to see when the list started, and I found that I'd lost the very first month's worth of posts in a server move, but have recovered most of them from archive.org and have found the first digests in a backup, so I can recreate them.

We might be getting old, but we're still gaming!
Of course, what really gets me is that the online resource may be 20 years old...but TFT was over 20 years old when it started.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote