Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-08-2018, 10:41 AM   #41
Fred Brackin

Default Re: TL 10 Humans

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
...except her dates will have the same mods.
That was humor as was indicated by the smiley.

To be non-humorous the initial reason to start doing gene-modding is the list of things you can prevent through Taboo Traits.

The lists under Genetic Defects and Mental Instability covers a lot of chronic problems and if you could afford the $25k up front it'd pay off in lifetime reduction of medical and social costs.

After that more Taboo Traits don't cost extra and while few Templates in Bio-Tech list Taboo Trait:Unattractiveness that's probably because it seems shallow and judgmental or something like that. Real parents though seem unlikely to me to insist upon their offspring's rights to be Bow-legged and to smell bad when it can be so easily prevented.

Taboo Trait:Agressiveness seems to inspire worries about unspecified effects and what if it went wrong but if you look at the actual rules it prohibits Bad Temper, Berserk, Bully and Stubborness. Like most Gurps Disadvantages those are actually quite disadvantageous and there wouldn't any downside to getting rid of them.

Then there's the suggestion ot TT:Lecherousness which may be mandatory if the current atmosphere continues long enough. It does represent an uncontrolled or out-of-control response to persons of sexual attraction and again is an actual disadvantage in plain English as well as Gurps game mechnics.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:20 PM   #42
tanksoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
That was humor as was indicated by the smiley.
I know, and it would also have been true at first... but eventually those would become the norm.

That’s the point I’ve kinda been trying to make: eventually these enhancements will be so common that they will become the norm. Are you really attractive when everybody is also attractive, or are you all now average again?

Are you really IQ+1 when everybody is IQ+1?

Some advantages will still bevrelevant, rapid healing isn’t relative to anyone else... but advantages and disadvantages that put you above or below the norm depend on where the norm is.

Quote:
Taboo Trait:Agressiveness seems to inspire worries about unspecified effects and what if it went wrong but if you look at the actual rules it prohibits Bad Temper, Berserk, Bully and Stubborness. Like most Gurps Disadvantages those are actually quite disadvantageous and there wouldn't any downside to getting rid of them.
Those are GURPS disadvantages it prevents. What useful traits does it prevent, even if they aren’t represented by GURPS advantages or disadvantages ?

Last edited by tanksoldier; 08-08-2018 at 12:25 PM.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:46 PM   #43
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Median age of cancer diagnosis is 66. Only 1% of cancers occur among children (age <20), only 9% among those age 44-. This is not the type of hazard that GURPS bothers to roll for (and if it did, you'd probably roll it into a generic mortality roll).

Generic Mortality roll! this is exactly what my game needs!

I'm somewhat joking, but there are styles of game where this would fit in just fine. My current game already takes job rolls very seriously (particularly because at least one of them will crash their towns economy if failed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
I've seen discussion that in Japan, despite there being a trend in increasing height over the past few decades, this has peaked recently because doctors recommend that pregnant mothers reduce their eating habits to reduce the birthweight of their child, allowing for an easier birth. Thus, prenatal nutrition is also a likely factor.

Tweaking genes to allow for easier childbirth is probably a strong contender for genetic tweaks. Unless your society is rich enough to use artificial wombs, which is pretty likely if you're going to get into genetic engineering.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:51 PM   #44
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Tweaking genes to allow for easier childbirth is probably a strong contender for genetic tweaks. Unless your society is rich enough to use artificial wombs, which is pretty likely if you're going to get into genetic engineering.
I like the idea of the race of sapient marsupials (perhaps descended from tree kangaroos) who are convinced that placentals couldn't possibly become highly intelligent because of the issue of cephalopelvic disproportion.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:55 PM   #45
whswhs

Quote:
That’s the point I’ve kinda been trying to make: eventually these enhancements will be so common that they will become the norm. Are you really attractive when everybody is also attractive, or are you all now average again?
I can see arguments both ways. In my current fantasy campaign, ghouls are racially Unattractive, meaning Unattractive to other ghouls, because they're naturally quarrelsome, and because females are bigger than males and attract males with a combination of musk and dominance assertion (but are also more likely to mate with comparatively aggressive males), and finally because they live under stressful conditions and bodily asymmetry is relatively common. Conversely, elves as a species are K-selected and have elaborate behavior for maintaining intragroup harmony, and they average Attractive. A racial +1 or -1 to social reactions to each other's appearance doesn't seem impossible.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #46
Daigoro

Quote:
Are you really IQ+1 when everybody is IQ+1?
I'd have to say yes to this, because having a higher IQ or IQ-skill has objective effects- you succeed more at your Surgery roll, or program your computer better, and so on. I don't think it'd be unrealistic to have TL0 humans, on average, to be IQ-1 or -2, lacking the benefit of modern education and TV documentaries. (Although IQ! would be a better reflection of this.)
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:11 PM   #47
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Smallpox scars would upgrade the matchmaking value. It meant they couldn't get it again.
Is there any evidence of that? You'd think if it were an issue we'd have documents in which people swore up and down Princes Wossname has had a whole host of diseases, and I don't think we do. To the extent this seems to have been a consideration at all, having had several diseases appears to have been a negative.

We even get a specific adjective - sickly - which we still use and consider a negative despite the fact we now *know* that getting a lot of diseases isn't really a personal trait, but a result of chance.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #48
Fred Brackin

Quote:

Those are GURPS disadvantages it prevents. What useful traits does it prevent, even if they aren’t represented by GURPS advantages or disadvantages ?
In a Gurps game? None if it works the way the rules say it does. Your argument has to be "In my game it works differently.".
Old 08-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #49
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Smallpox scars would upgrade the matchmaking value. It meant they couldn't get it again.
I don't think that means people find them attractive. Not even people in societies where smallpox is endemic.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:42 PM   #50
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Is there any evidence of that? You'd think if it were an issue we'd have documents in which people swore up and down Princes Wossname has had a whole host of diseases, and I don't think we do. To the extent this seems to have been a consideration at all, having had several diseases appears to have been a negative.

We even get a specific adjective - sickly - which we still use and consider a negative despite the fact we now *know* that getting a lot of diseases isn't really a personal trait, but a result of chance.
I have a relative that never gets sick despite now being 64. She tends to judge people prone to getting even colds as somehow "weaker".
I doubt she invented the bias.