Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-15-2018, 08:44 PM   #11
acrosome

Default Re: New Smokeless 7.8mm bullets for a black powder AtE Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
The cartridge your round most resembles is the 7.62 Tokarev
No, not really. Look at the damage and 1/2D range. 4d and 500. That's a .30 Carbine equivalent. (The 7.62mmT out of the PPSh is 3d and 200.) It's also better than the 5.7x28mm out of the FN P90, which is more or less the standard for modern PDWs. It should be very sporty to shoot out of a handgun. Maybe a massive muzzle flash of unburned powder as with the .30 Carbine revolvers.

I'm not sure why the OP doesn't just base his rounds on the various Russian 7.62mm rounds, if he is that set on caliber commonality. (There really isn't much reason for it- the only manufacturing machine that they tend to have in common is maybe the barrel rifling reamer.)

And I agree that revolvers might be more likely than an auto pistol, anyway. Militaries rarely actually use their handguns, so having as good and high-tech of one as possible is rarely considered a priority. (And, of course, moon clips are just cool as hell.) Look at how long the US waddled along with the M9, and most of the British Commonwealth with the Browning, long after polymer-framed striker-fired things like the Glock had surpassed them.

That said, I do like the new M17, and I own the civilian version, the p320. I never liked the Glock trigger, and say what you will about the p320 but it has a much nicer trigger.

Last edited by acrosome; 08-15-2018 at 08:54 PM.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:30 AM   #12
Fred Brackin

Default Re: New Smokeless 7.8mm bullets for a black powder AtE Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
No, not really. Look at the damage and 1/2D range. 4d and 500. That's a .30 Carbine equivalent. (The 7.62mmT out of the PPSh is 3d and 200.) r.[/SIZE]
That's the problem. He was getting .30 Carbine numbers out of 7.62 Tokarev velocity. .30 Carbine is 1900 feet per second not 1600.