Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-24-2018, 12:42 AM   #41
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: TL4 vs. TL7 melee weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Arguably these are why TL7+ arrows, bolts, and conventional bows and crossbows are fine for the cost of cheap, of course.
Bows and crossbows are not. That's specific to melee and thrown weapons, plus arrows and bolts.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:05 AM   #42
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Bows and crossbows are not. That's specific to melee and thrown weapons, plus arrows and bolts.
I stand corrected.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:13 AM   #43
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Though unlike swords, bows have several TLs of actual improvements (which mostly aren't reflected in the rules).
Old 07-24-2018, 05:51 AM   #44
malloyd

Quote:
It's not necessarily superior to really good modern steels.
Depends on the feature you are looking at. The primary drawback of steel relative to fiberglass (or wood) is that it's heavy - for the same energy storage you'll need something like 5 times the weight, even of modern spring steels.

Last edited by malloyd; 07-24-2018 at 06:54 AM.
malloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:16 AM   #45
Anaraxes

Quote:
I'm sure if there was continuing demand for thousands of swords a month that would be automated effectively.
Just imagine that it's a sword blade rather than a golf iron:

How It's Made: Golf Clubs

(The grip itself starts at 3:00 in. Simply attaching it is still largely manual.)

Google tells me there's about a billion dollars a year in wholesale sales of golf clubs in the US alone. It also shows me around a factor of ten difference in retail prices, but that's still likely in the low millions of clubs per year. A mere 12,000 swords a month might not even rate this much automation :) We don't get to see the automation making things like double-sided tape and molded rubber. (That's part of that whole network of industry that's part of the advantage of higher TLs, not just isolated design of pieces and single materials.)

Or, heck, why settle for analogies?

How It's Made: Swords

Those are of course for the current low-volume hobbyist market, not serious military applications. But it might still give an idea of what the production facilities and methods might look like, in contrast to the sweaty guy with big arms pounding on an anvil.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:25 AM   #46
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Right... useless for 'fiddly' work... (note this is a "Forged in Fire" style youtube video)
That’s a power hammer, not a giant TL 4 trip hammer. And definitely not a striker, which is a human who is not holding the hot metal. Strikers are always slightly off mark, which is why they’re good for moving metal, but not for fiddly work. I actually do this as a hobby (but not blades) and have friends who do it as their trade.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:14 AM   #47
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Strikers are useful for larger items where a lot of metal needs to be moved, like seriously upsetting some stock, but anything fiddly like a sword blade may not be the best use of the extra muscle. I could see strikers being useful for larger bearded axes or maces.
For completion, here’s a striker video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mwy2_09M3Bw
Strikers were used to speed up the production of sword blanks.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:43 PM   #48
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Though unlike swords, bows have several TLs of actual improvements (which mostly aren't reflected in the rules).
High Tech talks about High Tech bows and crossbows briefly (and of course The Deadly Spring does too at more length), it's just that the way they improve is not the free quality steps given to blades from Basic.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:47 PM   #49
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Yes, but there's a tradeoff between acceptable breakage rate and other traits. In general increasing penetration but reducing the wound channel will be a beneficial tradeoff, unless the wound channel reduction is much larger than the penetration increase.
You only need to penetrate far enough to reach a vital organ or major blood vessel, which is a few inches. Any over penetration reduces performance by making it harder/slower to withdraw for the next attack.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:12 PM   #50
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
You only need to penetrate far enough to reach a vital organ or major blood vessel, which is a few inches. Any over penetration reduces performance by making it harder/slower to withdraw for the next attack.
Getting a weapon stuck in an enemy is not ideal, but unless specially designed otherwise, a weapon that's easier to stick in is also easier to pull out, and in any case having a weapon stuck in your foe is hardly the worst problem to have.