Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-23-2018, 03:52 AM   #1
Devil_Dante

Default Different Divine Favor mechanics

Hi!!
In my DF campaign, one of my PC is a sort of cleric. He uses runes magic with threshold variant. But, because of his BG, he can free the souls of people who died in misery, without have the chance to fight back. If the soul wants to have another opportunity to prove its valor, my PC can create a runic tatoo on his skin with this soul. Than, he can use this soul to "empower" his magic. Doing this, according to his religion, the soul is set free and can reach the afterlife with glory. Now, this is just a little buff to his magic, but it's a part of his code: he has to free willing souls. Thus, i want to give him some rewards.
I was thinking to let him use a pray as for divine favor, to ask for a miracle, when he is in danger. But, because the goddess only rewards the worthiers, he has to free different souls before any attempt. Meaning: after he has freed X souls (15 for ex, 5-6 game sessions), he can ask for a miracle when he needs. Now, Divine favor is a different sort of magic, and the cost is quite high. I 'd wish to let him buy it with some sort of limitation, like the one i said. How much this limitation could be?
The aim here is not to give him a second kind of magic, but to reward him when needed, and only when the goddess wants to (maybe one every 5-6 game session, for example, this for me is worth -80% ). From the other hand, i don't wanna see the game broken because i am too generous.

Lastly, if something different exists to reward cleric fellows, i have ears opened. As i said, i want to reward him with something special after had followed his code, with a sort of miracle. How this miracle has to be ruled, have no idea.

Thanks
Devil_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:23 AM   #2
Daigoro

Default Re: Different Divine Favor mechanics

How does he know the identity of such souls? Does he commune with them in hell? Do their relatives and friends have to tell him their names? Does he make a list of names where he keeps track of who to inscribe next?
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:28 AM   #3
korbeau

I would use Soul Points system (describe in Pyramid #67) and if the soul released has more value, then I will allow more "miracle points".

As the basic Soul Point Value is 25, I'll start with that. Freeing a 25 point-soul grant 1 "miracle point".

From there, I would build the system :)
korbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:32 AM   #4
Devil_Dante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
How does he know the identity of such souls? Does he commune with them in hell? Do their relatives and friends have to tell him their names? Does he make a list of names where he keeps track of who to inscribe next?
There are answers for these questions of course. Long story short, he is the cleric of ancient goddess of war, like a valkyrie. He has the power to harvest the souls of people who died before fight and, if the souls wish, the cleric can use their power in battle and thus give them another chance to "fight back". Doing so, he accomplishes the wish of the goddes. More souls he frees up, more the goddess can hear his prays and maybe do some miracles. That's it
Normally, in my setting, the gods give the power to the "clerics" to use magic. Some gods can be prayed for miracles. This Goddess do both things

Quote:
Originally Posted by korbeau View Post
I would use Soul Points system (describe in Pyramid #67) and if the soul released has more value, then I will allow more "miracle points".

As the basic Soul Point Value is 25, I'll start with that. Freeing a 25 point-soul grant 1 "miracle point".

From there, I would build the system :)
wow, that s very interesting. Really like the idea.

I let my PC to harvest no more than 2 or 3 souls per session. And i think he can ask for the goddess' help when he has collected at least 10-15 souls. In this way he should have an average pool of 7-12 miracles points (ye, people really suck, not many individuals have a good souls).
I was thinking to use this numbers as the divine favor level to ask for miracle. In this way the more souls he has, the easiest is to receive assistance.
Last question: how many points should this power cost? because it s very handfull for him

Last edited by Devil_Dante; 07-23-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
korbeau

For the cost... let say that Miracle Point will fuel the power, as FP do for spell.
The first thing to do is to assigned a kind of ER (Miracle) with Special Recharge limitation -70% (by freeing souls), knowing that a 5 to 25 soul points give 1 ER (Miracle), 26 to 50 soul points give 2 ER, ect...
The Miraculous Power section go to maximum Divine Favor/12 so, I'll buy 12 ER (Miracle) for a pool of 12CP (knowing that you base on this number for fueling).

After that, you must paid the Divine Favor Advantage.
Divine Favor level 12 cost 110. Take limitation Cost ER (max 12) -60% for a total of 44cp.

Stats
Divine Favor 12 (Cost ER Miracle (max 12) -60%) [44] + ER (Miracle) 12 (Recharge by freeing soul, -70%) [12]
Total Cost: 56 CP.

...and this is one of many ways to build it.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:03 PM   #6
Devil_Dante

Quote:
For the cost... let say that Miracle Point will fuel the power, as FP do for spell.
The first thing to do is to assigned a kind of ER (Miracle) with Special Recharge limitation -70% (by freeing souls), knowing that a 5 to 25 soul points give 1 ER (Miracle), 26 to 50 soul points give 2 ER, ect...
The Miraculous Power section go to maximum Divine Favor/12 so, I'll buy 12 ER (Miracle) for a pool of 12CP (knowing that you base on this number for fueling).

After that, you must paid the Divine Favor Advantage.
Divine Favor level 12 cost 110. Take limitation Cost ER (max 12) -60% for a total of 44cp.

Stats
Divine Favor 12 (Cost ER Miracle (max 12) -60%) [44] + ER (Miracle) 12 (Recharge by freeing soul, -70%) [12]
Total Cost: 56 CP.

...and this is one of many ways to build it.
really thanks. this is pretty much what i was looking for.

If i can make my PC spare some points is better. If not, it's perfect.

In any case, the miracle points are used only when miracle happens, right? If he fails the petition roll they are not wasted i suppose.

Last edited by Devil_Dante; 07-23-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:44 PM   #7
korbeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Dante View Post
In any case, the miracle points are used only when miracle happens, right? If he fails the petition roll they are not wasted i suppose.
If I was the GM, the points will be wasted with a bad reaction or worst. If good reaction is required and the cleric only get neutral, he can keep his soul points.
Divine Favor is all about Reaction Roll with the Divinity and the souls is like a form of payment for the favor.

Is the Divinity have any obligation after the payment? If she's not in mood, she could keep the payment without any intervention...
Old 07-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #8
Devil_Dante

Quote:
If I was the GM, the points will be wasted with a bad reaction or worst. If good reaction is required and the cleric only get neutral, he can keep his soul points.
Divine Favor is all about Reaction Roll with the Divinity and the souls is like a form of payment for the favor.

Is the Divinity have any obligation after the payment? If she's not in mood, she could keep the payment without any intervention...
Ye.. you have totally right XD
Anyway, the ER should be always equal to the Divine Favor level?
Old 07-23-2018, 11:09 PM   #9
dataweaver

You've been given a good, solid system for earning the Miracle Points; as for how to spend them, just crack open a copy of Power-Ups 5: Impulse Buys and spend the Miracle Point in an Impulse Buy as if it were a Character Point. The resulting miracles will be subtle, but powerful. No need for Divine Favor.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:20 AM   #10
Devil_Dante

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
You've been given a good, solid system for earning the Miracle Points; as for how to spend them, just crack open a copy of Power-Ups 5: Impulse Buys and spend the Miracle Point in an Impulse Buy as if it were a Character Point. The resulting miracles will be subtle, but powerful. No need for Divine Favor.
that s another very interesting point.
thanks for suggestion, i'll discuss with my PC and see what he feels about!