Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-23-2014, 07:00 AM   #501
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: Ravens N' Pennies - GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Melee Academy: Mage-Blade Duelling

Recently, both Peter and Doug have been poking at this interesting video and GURPsfying it - well, they got that covered, so instead I thought about just messing with it period. What if mages settled disputes by duels? What if they used swords? How freaking cool would that be?! Today's post is all about Mage-Blade Duelling and bringing it into your campaigns...
Hmm... there's a thought. Maybe I can borrow the concept and apply it to my psionic blades <ponders>
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #502
Christopher R. Rice

Gamemaster's Guidepost: Plot Points, Expanded

I'm a big fan of "Full Speed Ahead!" when it comes tO gaming. But I'm also a fan of accurate simulation - this is one of the reasons that GURPS is so attractive to me as a GM. I can easily mix the two into something approaching what I want to do and then set the dial on a game to game basis. Not many other RPGs do that. GURPS Powers introduced in a teeny-tiny box these little miracle things called "Plot Points" - which are essentially a way a GM can bribe a player to go along with something he might not like now for a awesome event that happens later on. Today I talk about Plot Points and how you might use them in your games.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 09-23-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #503
Christopher R. Rice

GURPS101: Wound Absorption

Ever had a really cool idea fall into your lap? I get that a lot more than I probably should. After running a game seems to be one of those times where it happens to me the most. In this instance how to emulate a mechanic from another RPG (World of Darkness) in GURPS....

Become a Patron!
Old 09-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #504
Kalzazz

D6 and SR also have soak check mechanics as options. I like how it shows more utility to higher and higher levels of HT, anything that prizes raising stats can't hurt. That said, I really dislike the 'DM hides damage, player chooses to soak' method for two reasons.

In most cases i think you should IC know how much pain your in for, if you see that sword hit you I would say how much it hits for, or at the least allow an IQ based Broadsword roll etc. So 9 times out of 10 I would be telling people how much wallop they took.

Second combat can be long enough with the back and forth of
DM 'he gets potential hit. Defend?'
Player defends or not.
DM 'WHAP! Take X damage of Y type to the Z. KO, death etc as needed'

So this adds another back and forth step. Much simpler to just have the player with full knowledge choose to soak or not and resolve that as they resolve the other aspects of being hit.
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #505
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
That said, I really dislike the 'DM hides damage, player chooses to soak' method <snip>
Yep. I'm in the same boat. It might be different if it was an assumed roll of 10, but on some level I don't really like a static soak either.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:32 PM   #506
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
D6 and SR also have soak check mechanics as options. I like how it shows more utility to higher and higher levels of HT, anything that prizes raising stats can't hurt. That said, I really dislike the 'DM hides damage, player chooses to soak' method for two reasons.

In most cases i think you should IC know how much pain your in for, if you see that sword hit you I would say how much it hits for, or at the least allow an IQ based Broadsword roll etc. So 9 times out of 10 I would be telling people how much wallop they took.

Second combat can be long enough with the back and forth of
DM 'he gets potential hit. Defend?'
Player defends or not.
DM 'WHAP! Take X damage of Y type to the Z. KO, death etc as needed'

So this adds another back and forth step. Much simpler to just have the player with full knowledge choose to soak or not and resolve that as they resolve the other aspects of being hit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
Yep. I'm in the same boat. It might be different if it was an assumed roll of 10, but on some level I don't really like a static soak either.
Maybe it's because I use the Patient Status rules (p. B421) to describe how badly damaged a given PC is (they don't get to know their HP) - just like when I use the Stress rules from GURPS Horror they don't get to know their current level).

Obviously it colors my perceptions and there is simply no way I can please every one of my readers. Instead, I'll continue to post stuff that appeals to me and that I think might appeal to others as well. Dissenting opinions, of course, are always good. :-)

Become a Patron!
Old 09-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #507
Kalzazz

Hey, no worries. I wouldn't have typed that much on a cellphone if your idea wasn't to cool to wait til I had a keyboard to comment
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #508
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Hey, no worries. I wouldn't have typed that much on a cellphone if your idea wasn't to cool to wait til I had a keyboard to comment
I wish I could refine some of this stuff more. I'll admit my blog is a outlet for stuff I come up with, but am unable to use in my campaign right away. My readers help me bash it into shape ot be used later (maybe). :-)

Become a Patron!
Old 09-25-2014, 11:20 PM   #509
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Maybe it's because I use the Patient Status rules (p. B421) to describe how badly damaged a given PC is (they don't get to know their HP) - just like when I use the Stress rules from GURPS Horror they don't get to know their current level).
sure, that's a good reason.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:02 AM   #510
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
sure, that's a good reason.
As a GM I'm more interested in the story than the mechanics and my players are pretty much the same way. BUT (and there is one) - I hide everything under a veneer of story. It might seem like someone is bleeding to death because it's good storytelling, but in fact they might have just failed their HT roll. It's not easy to do at first, because it requires you to memorize, well, everything. But after that...well, I've been told my games are worth paying to be in - and people have in the past to have "next." I think I do okay, but I must be doing something right. :-)

Become a Patron!

Tags
blogs