Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 01-01-2020, 10:35 PM   #21
Fred Skin

Default Re: Car Wars Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
I'm of the opposing view: I don't like "faction lists", as it's one fewer choice the player gets to make -- let each player come up with his preferred design(s), and let the player who can use his designs most effectively take the win.
I like limited resources & games that tell a story. I'm not here for sterile arena battles & tournaments. I want to know why these guys are fighting these other guys
Fred Skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:27 AM   #22
baakyocalder

I'd say if you need a backstory for why drivers are fighting with their cars, we have a trove of Car Wars lore to draw on.

Here is a 1d6 table of various groups shooting it out:

1. EDSEL v. AADA. It's the anti-duelling faction trying to blow up professional duelists; the latter wants to survive or make their living.

2. Cycle gang's cars v. Midville's MONDOs. For some reason, Midville just keeps getting attacked by cycle gangs. Note there's several other cities with civic defense forces and plenty of cycle gangs in the AADA Road Atlas volumes if you'd like a more local flavor.

3. BLUD v. AADA road duel (because autoduelling promotion organization grudge matches are fun)

4. U.S. v. Free Oil States (skip the armored fighting vehicles and go with the duelists aiding them).

5. AADA Amateur nights (low point game with everyone having choice from a few premade vehicle options). Everyone is trying to become the winner so they aren't poor and unknown.

6. AADA lasers v. rockets show (one team is laser-based and the other is rocket-based for their weapons). Two rival weapon manufacturers hire duelists to show their gear is better. . .

Waiting For: Schedule Sanity to Play Car Wars and my Fnordcon special alt Car Wars cards!
baakyocalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:24 AM   #23
beetle496

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
_GA_'s timeline details when some of the more-significant events of the OG _CW_ Timeline occur -- for ex.: The "big news" in CW-2020 is the development of Cloning by Amalgamated Meditech, and the associated legal ruling in the US that a clone which has the original's memories in it is legally a "continuation of the original".
Okay, then GA is harmonized with Classic and Compendium (which are identical to each other). Most of the ADQs drop in additional details as well. For example, ADQ Vol. 8 No. 2 describes how Brazil became a recognized super power in 2040. It sure would be nice to have all that history is one place!

Quote:
Meanwhile, the Collapse has reached "bottom"; things will slowly improve from here. And that's what makes it Interesting to me -- "we choose to go to the Moon in this decade, and do the other things, *not* because they are Easy, but because they are *Hard*". Being one of The Few who stands in the way of the Collapse -- not a bad way to spend an evening, eh, lads? :)
From ADQ Vol. 9 No. 2:
Quote:
2020 — Generally-accepted end of the Dark Years. Plans are drawn for urban pacification and repopulation. Various social, political, religious and economic groups band together to stake out a claim and build a new future.
Sure, one could make a TV show (or RPG setting) out of that, but it won’t even start to look like CW until 2028 when “Vehicular weaponry becomes widespread.”

This is why I wish the CW 6e Setting were said to be 2030 or 2040 instead of 2070. In lieu of that, this fertile backstory is why I am arguing that the simplest approach would be to add 30 years to the CWC chronology.
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:58 AM   #24
MazeMonster
Banned

Bring back BLUD and ARF. And don't forget Green Circle, either.
MazeMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 03:25 PM   #25
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
Okay, then GA is harmonized with Classic and Compendium (which are identical to each other). Most of the ADQs drop in additional details as well. For example, ADQ Vol. 8 No. 2 describes how Brazil became a recognized super power in 2040. It sure would be nice to have all that history is one place!
That's the next Kickstarter. ;)

Quote:
From ADQ Vol. 9 No. 2:Sure, one could make a TV show (or RPG setting) out of that, but it won’t even start to look like CW until 2028 when “Vehicular weaponry becomes widespread.”
That's what _C&C_ is for -- 2020 would be "level 1" C&C, with double-weight Metal armor, very limited weapons list, and not that many accessories; around 2025, one might see "level 2" C&C, as described in _ADQ 1/3_; then 2028 rolls around, and "CW Proper" begins.

As to what MazeMonster and FredSkin said: I forget exactly when BLUD formed. ARF has been around in some form or another (appropriately :) ) forever; it just added firepower. Not to mention every political-action group which wanted to survive the Big Spinout had to add guns to its mixture -- even EDSEL wasn't so foolish as to totally disarm. So the development of Armed Camps is going to occur naturally; it's just a question of what groups arm-up when.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:36 PM   #26
beetle496

I found my GURPS Autoduel (1986) and p. 3 starts out “American History Since 1990”. No [redacted] given that it would be obsolete in just four years!

The chronology is much more detailed (four full pages) than I remembered. Still harmonized with CWC events, but three timelines for International, North America, and Science.

The Science Timeline is a hoot. 3D interactive environments via brain implants in 1994. Brain taping perfected 2003-2005. Human cloning in 2008. Quick-growth (full adults in 16 months) in 2015. Full brain memory transfer to clone body in 2018. Science Timeline ends and Autodeulling Timeline starts in 2022.

Also, 100 mph EV in 1998 (was 1993), so not so bad!

Last edited by beetle496; 01-03-2020 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:00 PM   #27
43Supporter

Quote:
The Science Timeline is a hoot. 3D interactive environments via brain implants in 1994. Brain taping perfected 2003-2005. Human cloning in 2008. Quick-growth (full adults in 16 months) in 2015. Full brain memory transfer to clone body in 2018.
Yeah.... :)

Quote:
Also, 100 mph EV in 1998 (was 1993), so not so bad!
[nod] Unfortunately, the electric-v.-gas performance stats have always been "back to front"; it's electrics which should have epic acceleration and lousy top speed (being able to have *all* the torques Right Now is a plus in acceleration).

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:46 AM   #28
stratonascar

Quote:
Originally Posted by baakyocalder View Post
I'd say if you need a backstory for why drivers are fighting with their cars, we have a trove of Car Wars lore to draw on.

Here is a 1d6 table of various groups shooting it out:

1. EDSEL v. AADA. It's the anti-duelling faction trying to blow up professional duelists; the latter wants to survive or make their living.

2. Cycle gang's cars v. Midville's MONDOs. For some reason, Midville just keeps getting attacked by cycle gangs. Note there's several other cities with civic defense forces and plenty of cycle gangs in the AADA Road Atlas volumes if you'd like a more local flavor.

3. BLUD v. AADA road duel (because autoduelling promotion organization grudge matches are fun)

4. U.S. v. Free Oil States (skip the armored fighting vehicles and go with the duelists aiding them).

5. AADA Amateur nights (low point game with everyone having choice from a few premade vehicle options). Everyone is trying to become the winner so they aren't poor and unknown.

6. AADA lasers v. rockets show (one team is laser-based and the other is rocket-based for their weapons). Two rival weapon manufacturers hire duelists to show their gear is better. . .
Or I can consider it by running a Divided North America Car Wars in 2070, between the Pacific States of America vs. The Rocky Mountain Republic at The Crashiteria in Campbell, CA.
stratonascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:01 AM   #29
MazeMonster
Banned

I just peeked at the 24 page rules PDF, and it looks like the background timeline has been lifted almost verbatim from earlier editions of the game, with the exception of adjusted dates.
MazeMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:36 PM   #30
beetle496

Quote:
I think I will use the CWC chronology but adding 30 years to each of the given dates.
SJG just added 35 years to the CWC chronology. That is perfect!

Last edited by beetle496; 01-06-2020 at 06:39 PM. Reason: changed quote reference