Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #21
Johnny Angel

Default Re: [GAME] After the End, Worldbuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
K-10s

Question 17: In the initial nuclear exchange, who were the belligerents?

Dice Roll: 3 sentences.

Answer 17

The initial nuclear exchange (which triggered a chain reaction of conflict and war) was started by two political factions in the United States. Long at the throat of one-another and prone to bickering, almost comical coincidence lead to extremists in both camps both finding a way to load an experimental AI defense protocol with instructions to eliminate the leaders of the other and blame the attack(s) on enemies of the State. The AI, struggling to reconcile two sets of instructions and efficiently complete the task, targeted Washington D.C. with two back-to-back nuclear blasts.

================================================== =============================

Question 19
What styles of music, art, and fashion tend to be most popular among the rich offworld human population? (5 sentences)

Last edited by Johnny Angel; 12-18-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:35 PM   #22
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Question 14
What's a good question for this setting?
Question 20
Are there any mutants?
(d6 roll: 3 sentences)

Question 21
Should we focus on building up one particular locale? Where?
(d6 roll: 4 sentences)
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:46 PM   #23
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post
Question 19
What styles of music, art, and fashion tend to be most popular among the rich offworld human population? (5 sentences)
The offworlders have a range of musical tastes rooted in the wide variety of music history they have to draw upon and there is a certain amount of nostalgia for whatever music matches each individuals cultural roots. What is fashionable to listen to is live music given that so much of the available music is from archives.

As for art, well there are quite a lot of rare, famous and desirable works lying unappreciated by the plebian earthers below. If one was to arrange a few mechanical servators and an earth capable shuttle then surely a climate controlled display case behind one's desk is better than leaving an irreplaceable and unique piece of history to rot.

Fashion tends towards simple single layer outfits when off woŕlders are relaxing in the comfort of their bases, if they decide to visit the planet the difference in gravity and concern about environmental contaminants means power assisted encounter suits which are designed to look as futuristic as possible, sweeping lines, internal weapon mounts combined with a silver and opal finish is considered trčs chic.

Question 22
Were there any major climate change related projects that were started or finished before the end?
(Roll of 4)
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:40 PM   #24
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Question 20
Are there any mutants?
Answer 20:
No. Or rather, it's complicated. There are 'colonies' of genetically altered humans, changed by the Offworlders to work on environmental projects or as experiments to see how repopulating would go if the LESI (Let Earth Stabilize Itself) Coalition gains a strong enough demographic to stop all terraforming projects 'permanently' (it's a strong sentiment in the 1%er population, but many of the working class would like to see the Earth become stable enough for their grandkids to repopulate).

No new questions from me, we've got enough still floating unanswered. Specifically:

Question 14, Question 18, Question 21, and Question 22.

Last edited by evileeyore; 12-18-2019 at 08:59 PM.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:47 PM   #25
TGLS

Question 20
Are there any mutants?

Answer 20
There are no radiation induced mutants; that's just silly, and anyone with any level of scientific education knows this. However, scientific education is very rare these days, and genetic engineering before The Collapse was becoming increasingly advanced. Through a mix of radical and experimental engineering, and uncontrolled mixing, there are some very odd people and animals out there and they are usually misidentified as mutants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Answer 20:
OK, I think there's enough non-contradiction here.

Question 23
What are some of the strangest "mutants" out there?

Question 24
Are there genetically modified humans out there? If not, why not? If so, what are they like?
(d6 roll: 5 sentences)
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:58 PM   #26
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
OK, I think there's enough non-contradiction here.
I'm good with both answers standing.

And while I'm at it... I'll expand my 20 into covering your 24...

Quote:
Question 24
Are there genetically modified humans out there? If not, why not? If so, what are they like?
(d6 roll: 5 sentences)
Answer 24:
The Selkies are probably the most widely discussed even if they are the least often seen, how someone could survive, thrive, and prefer to live underwater baffles most dry-land survivors.

The Bigfoot (aka Giants, Ogres, Yeti, etc) are pretty easily understood, tough thick skin, fur, thick blunted fingers, thick elephantine feet, small eyes deep set in thick brows with thick shag covering their faces they are designed to survive the coldest, windiest, and most brutal Mother Nature can throw, hardy in both heat and extreme cold, they are the workhorses of the Environmental Works And Reclamation Projects.

The Strix, just larger than American Bald Eagles, the oldest ones as big as a Condor, these are the eyes, ears, and very often brains 'paired' up alongside a work unit of Bigfoot. Though they appear to be built more along owl lines, they are diurnal, just like the Bigfoot, and have no difficulty operating in dusk or predawn light.

There is always talk of 'lion' or jaguar-men', "bred to kill all the remaining humans!", but those are just scare-tales told by the infrequent traders, wanders, or madmen who come in from failed settlements.

Same response as per new Questions as above.

Last edited by evileeyore; 12-18-2019 at 09:12 PM.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:42 AM   #27
TGLS

Question 18
How large is the remaining human population?
(Roll of 6...)

Answer 18
Before the downfall, there was about 11 billion on Earth and the Colonies. 8 billion were pure humans, 2 billion were genetically modified in someway (mostly minor changes, but many more extreme changes), and a billion uplifts. The Colonies had a half billion, with a higher proportion of uplifts and GM humans. The vast majority of pure humans on Earth were in Africa and Asia, with a minority in the America's and Europe. The population on Earth is down to 3 billion, with 2 billion pure humans. The Colonies have seen their population swell to over a billion people, mostly the rich and their staff.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:14 AM   #28
Johnny Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Answer 20:

No new questions from me, we've got enough still floating unanswered. Specifically:

Question 14, Question 18, Question 21, and Question 22.
Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post

Question 22
Were there any major climate change related projects that were started or finished before the end?
(Roll of 4)
Yes; the two most well-known to contemporary folks are the following:
  1. A mysterious ultra-wealthy philanthropist funded reseach which pushed into the experimental edge of TL10^ broadcast power, leading to an array of 10 "power pagodas." The three largest orbit Earth as artificial satellites; the remaining seven (which are in various states of functionality and/or disrepair) have terrestrial locations.
  2. Prior to catastrophy halting progress, some progress had been made by a humanitarian group to address issues of water scarcity and quality; this progress resulted in a handful of semi-autonomous Vapor Collector (TL9) "Chopper Hoppers."

Not sure if those count as climate change projects (?) If not, I'll edit my post.

Last edited by Johnny Angel; 12-20-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:04 AM   #29
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post
Not sure if those count as climate change projects (?) If not, I'll edit my post.
  1. A mysterious ultra-wealthy philanthropist funded reseach which pushed into the experimental edge of TL10^ broadcast power
Adequate supplies of clean food and water will invariably be the prime concern.
<Nods in direction of Maslov et al>

Maybe guerilla breeding and distribution of Golden Rice, or a similar variety of another hardy grain. Sorghum, barley, oats, rye, and/or corn*?!?

* That is, Zea mays subsp. mays.
Old 12-20-2019, 12:59 PM   #30
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Question 21
Should we focus on building up one particular locale? Where?
(d6 roll: 4 sentences)
The contributors to this thread are scattered in differing cultural and geographic locations.

AFAIK recall, the thread has been up to now rather generic in it's development.

Is there benefit in developing a specific locale?

Conversely, will this exercise be of greater utility, if posts are of a more undefined nature?

Tags
ate, game, worldbuilding