Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-28-2010, 02:02 PM   #31
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: FICTIONAL Female Warriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Actually that's true. But Glorfindel wasn't that good a character anyway.
Well, he's one of the most powerful elves alive (and the jury is still out on if he's the same Glorfindel that appears in the Silmarilion, that came back from Mandos, or just shares the name. If he is the same character, then it's one of the first age elves, the kind that smote Balrogs before breakfast). The problem, as with Tom Bombadil, is that they're extremely powerful characters that are tangential to the plot. Now, I would have loved to see Glorfindel show the might of a true elven warrior on the screen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
And Kerrowyn's teacher, Tarma (technically, she's Kero's great-aunt by blood-adoption, but "beloved mentor" is the more important relationship there, I think). Although given Tarma's circumstances (she's essentially been rendered asexual as part of a commitment to the goddess she serves), she might not be as good an example.
Well, I find Tarma and Kethry to be good PC material. Kethry (and later Kerrowyn) carry a sword shaped plot hook (Woman's Need) and Tarma's circumstances don't often limit her, as the Shin'a'in Goddess doesn't often exert her will on her. I would love to play such a character.

Personally, I find most of the universes found on Mercedes Lackey's novels to be very playable. My only gripe with the Valdemar novels is that after The Mage Storms trilogy, the universe becomes much less playable (Karse and Hardorn are no longer enemies, the barbarian tribes of the north become allies in Darian's Tale,...). I think I'll try to run a new Valdemar game, using GURPS Psionic Powers, Psionic Campaigns and Psis, for the heraldic mind gifts. For the mages, I'm not so sure what magic system to use. Standard magic (specially with the ley line spells from Urban Magics) fits well enough, but then again Path Magic better models the non-combat effects, and either syntactic magic or real magic seem to capture the improvisational nature of magic by some of the characters.

Also, the modern novels are very good Urban Fantasy, though I prefer the Dresden Files.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #32
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Well, he's one of the most powerful elves alive (and the jury is still out on if he's the same Glorfindel that appears in the Silmarilion, that came back from Mandos, or just shares the name. If he is the same character, then it's one of the first age elves, the kind that smote Balrogs before breakfast). The problem, as with Tom Bombadil, is that they're extremely powerful characters that are tangential to the plot. Now, I would have loved to see Glorfindel show the might of a true elven warrior on the screen...

Well, I find Tarma and Kethry to be good PC material. Kethry (and later Kerrowyn) carry a sword shaped plot hook (Woman's Need) and Tarma's circumstances don't often limit her, as the Shin'a'in Goddess doesn't often exert her will on her. I would love to play such a character.

Personally, I find most of the universes found on Mercedes Lackey's novels to be very playable. My only gripe with the Valdemar novels is that after The Mage Storms trilogy, the universe becomes much less playable (Karse and Hardorn are no longer enemies, the barbarian tribes of the north become allies in Darian's Tale,...). I think I'll try to run a new Valdemar game, using GURPS Psionic Powers, Psionic Campaigns and Psis, for the heraldic mind gifts. For the mages, I'm not so sure what magic system to use. Standard magic (specially with the ley line spells from Urban Magics) fits well enough, but then again Path Magic better models the non-combat effects, and either syntactic magic or real magic seem to capture the improvisational nature of magic by some of the characters.

Also, the modern novels are very good Urban Fantasy, though I prefer the Dresden Files.
Glorfindel is one of the most powerful elves alive. The problem is his power is almost angelic even though he is an elf rather then a maia. And it is almost imposable to draw an angel in it's "natural" state(an incognito angel like Gandalf is easier) without making it a Mary Sue. In fact Glorfindel's purpose was really to provide a window to sneak a peek into Manwe's home turf.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #33
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Glorfindel is one of the most powerful elves alive. The problem is his power is almost angelic even though he is an elf rather then a maia. And it is almost imposable to draw an angel in it's "natural" state(an incognito angel like Gandalf is easier) without making it a Mary Sue. In fact Glorfindel's purpose was really to provide a window to sneak a peek into Manwe's home turf.
Yep, same as Tom Bombadil in fact (though Tom's nature is left vague by Tolkien, he is at least equal to a Maia, and might be an aspect of Eru Ilúvatar). They're walking Deus Ex Machinas.
My stuff on e23
Old 06-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #34
arnej

Dirisha, from Steve Perry's Matador series.
Neytiri, from Cameron's Avatar.
Kara Starbuck, from Battlestar Galactica.
Zoe, from Firefly.
Buffy, from BtVS.

Seconds for Karrin Murphy, Ellen Ripley, and Paksennarion.

arnej
arnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:26 PM   #35
jason taylor

I liked River better then Zoe. But that was because she was Stoic Simon's "ice-melter" and Simon was my favorite character.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:28 PM   #36
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

Oh, and since no one has mentioned her, Rachel Morgan from the Hollows series (Dead Witch Walking and following novels) by Kim Harrison. While not a fighter per se, she incarnates the essence of the archetype rather well.

Oh, and Farnese and Casca from the Berserk manga. (Read this manga, trust me, it's ABSOLUTELY great)
My stuff on e23

Last edited by Kuroshima; 06-28-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #37
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Heris Serrano
Paks (fifth mention, I think)
Aliera e'Kieron (from the Vlad Taltos books)
Tazendra (from Phoenix Guards by Steven Brust)

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #38
Landwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Brienne of Tarth from A Song of Ice and Fire is a compelling character who avoids the annoying cliches of flawless battlefield hygiene and petite supermodel build.
God, yes, how could I have forgotten Brienne? I suppose Dacey Mormont counts, too, but you don't see much of her and certainly not much of her in action. And then she gets butchered. So that's not as exciting...

But definitely Brienne.
Landwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:07 PM   #39
Victor Maxus

A good high tech gun shooting example, Vasquez from Aliens.
The Virginia Hey character from Mad Max 2
The entire Lizzies from The Warriors (Come on, great example that even women can be generic thugs or mooks.)
Old 06-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #40
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Maxus View Post
A good high tech gun shooting example, Vasquez from Aliens.
"Hey Vasquez...have you ever been mistaken for a man?"

"No. Have you?"

With lines like that, how can you not feel the love?
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
female warriors, fictional, gurps